Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There may not be a standard, but Tesla's installation guide for 14-50 shows the ground on top, so the cord can hang down. I was extrapolating to 120V outlets. Also if a heavy plug partly pulls out of an outlet, with ground on top it will expose the ground rather than the conductors.

There may not be a standard, but Tesla's installation guide for 14-50 shows the ground on top, so the cord can hang down. I was extrapolating to 120V outlets. Also if a heavy plug partly pulls out of an outlet, with ground on top it will expose the ground rather than the conductors.

Perhaps, but most 120V outlets that I've seen are installed with ground pin down. My house has ground pin down on all 120V volt outlets, except for the ones that are on switches.

Also, most flat plug extension cords seem to be designed to favor ground pin on the bottom. (240V extension cords tend to be the other way around.)

Jason,
Maybe you should post something about the 80A Chargepoints in the Charging Infrastructure forum? I've not seen anything about this outside of this thread.

It appears that Coulomb has intentions to produce these!!.. See below from a presentation!

Ryan_Grady-Coulomb2.jpg

120 volt ground plug

Perhaps, but most 120V outlets that I've seen are installed with ground pin down. My house has ground pin down on all 120V volt outlets, except for the ones that are on switches.

Also, most flat plug extension cords seem to be designed to favor ground pin on the bottom. (240V extension cords tend to be the other way around.)

All 120V outlets should be installed with the common ground pin up. This can be confirmed by any NEC contractor.

At CES today, ChargePoint told me they are putting 20 chargers into the Mickey & Friends structure at Disneyland. They actually thought they were live already but I can't find any word of these online so I'm guessing they aren't in yet.

They also said that they have installed 80amp stations in ~70 or so places around the country and that the next version of their app will let you filter on those.

80 amp?? I thought J1772 was limited to 70?

Edit: Just looked it up and it does indeed support 80A. I guess I just assumed because of all of the 70A J1772s in CA and Canada. This is big news and makes me happy to have dual chargers.

Jason,
Maybe you should post something about the 80A Chargepoints in the Charging Infrastructure forum? I've not seen anything about this outside of this thread.

I checked with a friend who is the president of NovaCharge, a national distributor of EVSEs including ChargePoint. She contacted ChargePoint and clarified the statement made at CES.

Here is an excerpt from her response:

I contacted ChargePoint to make sure that I had the correct information for you.

There appears to be a little confusion about what was said and intended with the comment. Basically, what is being installed is the CT4000 series which is a dual Level 2 unit. The unit provides 80amps (combined).
Thus, 40amps on each connector.

Larry

I checked with a friend who is the president of NovaCharge, a national distributor of EVSEs including ChargePoint. She contacted ChargePoint and clarified the statement made at CES.
Larry

Thanks Larry. Are you meaning at Disney? Sorry, it was an unrelated comment on my part. I had asked if Chargepoint would ever support 80amp charging for people like me with Teslas that support it. Is your contact saying that no Chargepoint stations anywhere support 80amp per connector, or just that the ones at Disneyland do not?

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. Are you meaning at Disney? Sorry, it was an unrelated comment on my part. I had asked if Chargepoint would ever support 80amo charging for people like me with Teslas that support it. Is your contact saying that no Chargepoint stations anywhere support 80amp per connector, or just that the ones at Disneyland do not?

Hi Jason,

I didn't specifically ask her if ChargePoint has an 80 amp per connector charging station available.

I asked her if ChargePoint is rolling out a number of 80 amp chargers across the country. My interpretation of her response was that they were rolling out a series of twin chargers with an 80 amp combined capacity and 40 amps to each connector.

However, if we go to chargepoint's specifications page I do not see any equipment that outputs even 40 amps per connector. All their equipment shown on their website is limited to 7.2 kW or around 30 amps per connector. The CT4000 has provisions for two 40 amp rated branch circuits, but the actual output is limited to 30 amps at 208volts.

Larry

Hi Jason,

I didn't specifically ask her if ChargePoint has an 80 amp per connector charging station available.

I asked her if ChargePoint is rolling out a number of 80 amp chargers across the country. My interpretation of her response was that they were rolling out a series of twin chargers with an 80 amp combined capacity and 40 amps to each connector.

However, if we go to chargepoint's specifications page I do not see any equipment that outputs even 40 amps per connector. All their equipment shown on their website is limited to 7.2 kW or around 30 amps per connector. The CT4000 has provisions for two 40 amp rated branch circuits, but the actual output is limited to 30 amps at 208volts.

Larry

Odd. I think I was pretty clear but maybe they were confused or misunderstood the question.

Anyone notice that the Autopia cars are stinky ICE's? That's not my idea of Tomorrowland!

My Autopia car is 100% EV :)

my_autopia.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

And to add to the Disneyland charging discussion, we were there last week, and ended up at our hotel (Hyatt OC) with 117 miles to spare after a good charge at Tejon Ranch (and some awesome downhill 250 Wh/mi usage for the entire trip from Tejon). After a few days of running around, we charged up at Hawthorne, and then back to DL for another night before heading back up to the bay area.
If I were to do it again, I would make sure I was FULLY charged at Hawthorne before driving back to DL and then home. We made it to Tejon with only 10 miles rated, and then the SC we connected to kept disconnecting/stopping.

------

As a side note, we saw engineering test vehicle 51 there, and it has orange tail lights.