Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disney's current position regarding electric chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is great to see that after less than two years from the OP letter to Disney, with the response that there are no plans due to insufficient guest demand, that stations are now being installed and more planned for. I do also know that the employee parking structure in Disneyland Resort, Anaheim now has 10 spaces with charging stations as well.

It is great to see that after less than two years from the OP letter to Disney, with the response that there are no plans due to insufficient guest demand, that stations are now being installed and more planned for. I do also know that the employee parking structure in Disneyland Resort, Anaheim now has 10 spaces with charging stations as well.

Thanks, is good to see that you're a "Glass half full" sort of person. :biggrin:

Just two years. Oh boy. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't surprise me if that employee parking is probably just for company executives. :wink:

I guess its time for me to send another letter to Disney. It will be interesting to see what excuse they give me now why Walt Disney World hasn't done anything.

Larry

Larry, Have you ever investigated the possibilty of parking at Fort Wilderness for the day while visiting a WDW park and using one of the campsite 14-50s? Now that there is a ChaDEMO in Brandon I can make it to Orlando in our Leaf. I just need to be able to charge during the day to be able to return same day.

Thanks, is good to see that you're a "Glass half full" sort of person. :biggrin:

Just two years. Oh boy. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't surprise me if that employee parking is probably just for company executives. :wink:

I guess its time for me to send another letter to Disney. It will be interesting to see what excuse they give me now why Walt Disney World hasn't done anything.

Larry
Having worked for The Mouse in Orlando in the distant past (ahh, the golden days of software development leading up to the launching of the Disney Cruise Lines many years ago!), WDW and DL are about as distant from each other as possible when it comes to anything remotely resembling a consistent behavior / presentation for anything other than selling merchandise! Similar to the schism between the parks/resorts vs movies vs TV vs merchandise empires in Disney, the east vs west priorities within the parks / resorts sector are never even remotely the same, as they are run by completely unrelated parts of the larger organization.

Having worked for The Mouse in Orlando in the distant past (ahh, the golden days of software development leading up to the launching of the Disney Cruise Lines many years ago!), WDW and DL are about as distant from each other as possible when it comes to anything remotely resembling a consistent behavior / presentation for anything other than selling merchandise! Similar to the schism between the parks/resorts vs movies vs TV vs merchandise empires in Disney, the east vs west priorities within the parks / resorts sector are never even remotely the same, as they are run by completely unrelated parts of the larger organization.

This WAS true back when DCL launched. Not true now. Parks & Resorts was brought under the "One Disney" umbrella and is very much run out of Orlando. DL is almost run as just 5th and 6th WDW parks! There are entire departments that used to exist at Disneyland that are now in Orlando.

This WAS true back when DCL launched. Not true now. Parks & Resorts was brought under the "One Disney" umbrella and is very much run out of Orlando. DL is almost run as just 5th and 6th WDW parks! There are entire departments that used to exist at Disneyland that are now in Orlando.
Ah, makes sense that they'd finally consolidate.

Guess the charging at DL vs no charging at WDW dichotomy is more related to park / resort density and the use of parking structures at DL vs the vast swathes of pavement in WDW scattered around among the numerous parks & resorts.

Larry, Have you ever investigated the possibilty of parking at Fort Wilderness for the day while visiting a WDW park and using one of the campsite 14-50s? Now that there is a ChaDEMO in Brandon I can make it to Orlando in our Leaf. I just need to be able to charge during the day to be able to return same day.

Hi James,

I have not, however I recall one of our members charged there. However, I imagine this is on a case by case basis that depends on whether or not a campsite outlet is available.

This Saturday Sutherlin Nissan in Orlando has a ribbon-cutting ceremony for their CHAdeMO. I'll forward an email to you.

Larry

Ah, makes sense that they'd finally consolidate.

Guess the charging at DL vs no charging at WDW dichotomy is more related to park / resort density and the use of parking structures at DL vs the vast swathes of pavement in WDW scattered around among the numerous parks & resorts.

And the makeup of the park-goers. WDW is 80% tourists...and they discourage those tourists from having cars (see free Magical Express) to keep them on property. DL is 80% local (local being defined as day-trip driving distance). So they know that virtually everyone is coming in their own vehicle...and some will need to charge!

WDW is 80% tourists...and they discourage those tourists from having cars (see free Magical Express) to keep them on property.

There's a new initiative that is encouraging driving EVs in Orlando. Drive Electric Orlando.

Disney claims to be a partner, but so far I have seen no movement with regard to installing chargers on their WDW properties. An organizer of this initiative told me that they expected a Disney announcement before the end of last year, but obviously that hasn't happened. Ever the optimist I'm hoping that we hear something soon about Disney finally getting involved in supporting their guests with electric vehicles, even if they are tourists.

Larry

I was in Orlando yesterday on business and my client says he has a friend that works for WDW and she is in charge of the project to install chargers at the hotels. She was asking his advice on what to charge if anything per kWh. He told her that they shouldnt charge anything but more than .13 kWh is too much. We stayed at the Mainstay across from Universal and they have 2 chargepoint stations that worked fine. The hotel is a nice clean overnight hotel, not a resort but would stay there again. the cost was .13 kWh. Also have stayed at the Grand Cypress where it was free to charge, but that was an expense place to stay.

Open today!. Are they $5 and hour? Or are they free?

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Now Available at Disneyland Resort Disney Parks Blog

Congrats to all who have been working on this.
Twenty ChargePoint charging ports have been installed on the first floor of the Mickey & Friends parking structure for guests with electric vehicles! Guests can begin using them today by scanning their ChargePoint card or by easily registering for a free ChargePoint account at the charging station, or online at http://www.chargepoint.com.
ECC733627-613x432.jpg
“The Disneyland Resort is now home to one of the largest collections of public EV charging stations in Southern California,” said Pasquale Romano, CEO of ChargePoint. “We are excited to help the Disneyland Resort become EV ready and have such an iconic destination in our EV charging network. ChargePoint is the nation’s largest EV charging network with more than 15,000 locations.”
Guests arriving at the Mickey & Friends parking structure can ask a cast member for directions to the charging stations. Separate charging stations are also available to cast members for a total of 30 charging ports at the resort. To learn more about our environmental efforts at the Disneyland Resort, click here!

Open today!. Are they $5 and hour? Or are they free?
They are $0.35 / kWh (minimum $1.50) on top of regular parking fee. IMO better than free. It's slightly more than the cost of peak daytime electricity rates in California, which should encourage people to only use the stations if they need it or really want it, but not so high that it completely discourages use.

They are $0.35 / kWh (minimum $1.50) on top of regular parking fee. IMO better than free. It's slightly more than the cost of peak daytime electricity rates in California, which should encourage people to only use the stations if they need it or really want it, but not so high that it completely discourages use.
I'd gladly pay that at WDW if they just install them. Trouble is it sounds like they are only putting them into Downton Disney and some hotels. There is no direct transportation to the parks from DD.

I was in Orlando yesterday on business and my client says he has a friend that works for WDW and she is in charge of the project to install chargers at the hotels. She was asking his advice on what to charge if anything per kWh. He told her that they shouldnt charge anything but more than .13 kWh is too much. We stayed at the Mainstay across from Universal and they have 2 chargepoint stations that worked fine. The hotel is a nice clean overnight hotel, not a resort but would stay there again. the cost was .13 kWh. Also have stayed at the Grand Cypress where it was free to charge, but that was an expense place to stay.

This morning I received a phone call from the Director of Environmental Initiatives at Walt Disney World. She is probably the same executive mentioned above.

She was responding to another message I sent inquiring about installation of chargers at Disney World resorts and hotels. Unfortunately she apparently wasn't in a position to provide any substantive information concerning imminent installation projects.

She did state that a team was working on the issue and that they expected chargers to be installed before the end of the year. She didn't say where.

I offerred our club's support in their initiatives.

Larry

Went to Disneyland Anaheim with the family today. Had not heard the news about the new charging infrastructure. Parking staff immediately directed us to the EV parking/charging.

As mentioned it's chargepoint. In addition it's sort of premium parking as it's fairly close to the tram.

Lots of space available on a Monday afternoon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 460
Went to Disneyland Anaheim with the family today. Had not heard the news about the new charging infrastructure. Parking staff immediately directed us to the EV parking/charging.

As mentioned it's chargepoint. In addition it's sort of premium parking as it's fairly close to the tram.

Lots of space available on a Monday afternoon.

Micechat picked it up too and posted some nice pics and info...
Disney California Adventure celebrates the Lunar New Year

See the first story...

Disneyland - No Chargers? Really??

So I'm taking my little one to Disneyland tomorrow (the one Anaheim CA), and after much digging I can't find any charging stations. What's up with that? I found places around Disneyland but none at Disneyland itself. Is it true or are they just not listed?

So I'm taking my little one to Disneyland tomorrow (the one Anaheim CA), and after much digging I can't find any charging stations. What's up with that? I found places around Disneyland but none at Disneyland itself. Is it true or are they just not listed?

There's threads on Disney and their Lack of EV charging.... Yeah, it's really bad of them not to have. I don't know what they are thinking.