Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display blank for about 1 minute after shifting into reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RayK

Apr 5, 2016
San Jose, CA
Moved my car to a charging station a few minutes ago. Display turned on when I opened the door but a few seconds later the whole screen went black when I shifted into reverse. I've had the issue with the reverse camera image being black but this was different. The whole screen looked like it lost power. Radio also did not come on. Didn't panic as I thought a reboot would fix the problem. As I was driving down to a different level in the parking garage where the charging stations are located, the screen came back on. Radio too. Nothing else seemed out if the ordinary. Car drove as smooth as usual. Not sure what to make of this. 2018.24.1.

Same thing just happened to me this afternoon around 1:30PM.

Although i didn't put it in Reverse. Back in the car after lunch, car registered >107F inside (not sure if this is the potential cause)?

Screen turned on for a little bit right after unlocking and then black for a few minutes, started driving out of the lot and still black so then i just reboot it (pressed and hold both button on the steering wheel) then a few minutes later it came back on.

Still on 2018.21.9

I’ve had then when I rush the startup and don’t give the various icons time to clear out.
Patience is your friend
You can either reboot a bunch of times
Or
Sit and watch it take less time to wake up on its own. It’s scarier that way because you’ll see the error messages appear then clear.

I have had the screen go black 6 times. Always immediately after entering the car. Twice touching the screen made it reappear and the other times it came on by itself. While the delays have only been small it does make you feel like something is not quite as it should be.