Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display ; is it possible to turn it off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi I am very excited about the car. Can current Tesla Model S owner answer me this, can you turn off the centre display off if you want to. I think I would find it annoying looking at the large tablet display all the time in Model 3. I wonder if you can turn it off temporarily.
I do hope there will be another display in front of the steering wheel also.

Hi I am very excited about the car. Can current Tesla Model S owner answer me this, can you turn off the centre display off if you want to. I think I would find it annoying looking at the large tablet display all the time in Model 3. I wonder if you can turn it off temporarily.
I think you can switch the display to "cleaning mode" and most the screen will be black...

Nope, you can't turn it off. But why would you want it off when driving ?

Second best is to have the web browser display a black page and turn the brightness all the way down.

I see, Thanks for the info
I have never driven a Tesla but always wondered if current drivers get distracted at night by the glare from the display? Is there a night mode on the display like on a GPS devices?

I have never driven a Tesla but always wondered if current drivers get distracted at night by the glare from the display? Is there a night mode on the display like on a GPS devices?
Your welcome! Hope you enjoy this forum. It provides lots of good information for all. You must go and test drive a model S. There is no sales pressure. Everyone is nice and just want you to see what an electric car can do.
There is a great night mode. The navigation screen is powered by Google maps so there is traffic info and good reroute guidance that you can customize.
The most unique thing about the screen other than being the largest in any car at 17 inches diagonal is that the rear view camera can be viewed constantly while driving so that it acts to supplement or replace the rear view mirror. That can be turned off so that other screen such as music, nav, power system, functional browser (no video feeds allowed in the browser for safety), etc can take up the entire screen. Hope that helps you understand the practical use of the MCU.

Oh and great handle!
You can name your Tesla Model car so you must name yours "Milano!" The name will show up in the smartphone app too.
Oh now I've done it, I want a cookie...

I speculate that the typical jurisdiction requires the driver to be able to look at the speedometer at any time...
On the Model S and X, the speedometer is in the dash screen of course right in front of the driver. In the Model 3, it does looks like the speedometer is in the top left corner of the center 15 inch landscape orientated screen. Thus, it probably won't be completely "shutoff able". I hope that a word... ;) maybe parts of it would. I don't find the center screen distracting either.

I'm suspecting they will provide some kind of always-on speed and charge display. My money is on a heads-up display.
That would be cool but didn't see it on the couple of test drive videos in YouTube. There is just the main screen in the middle and the fact that there is no longer a driver side display. But things will evolve in the next 18 plus months I'm sure! All very exciting!

In three years 67K miles the display in the Model S has never bothered me. This is really a problem only for those who've never had a Tesla, once they get one it ceases to be a problem. I have had cars with centre displays, and they really have a shorter eye adjustment distance from road to display than the traditional location.

Your welcome! Hope you enjoy this forum. It provides lots of good information for all. You must go and test drive a model S. There is no sales pressure. Everyone is nice and just want you to see what an electric car can do.
There is a great night mode. The navigation screen is powered by Google maps so there is traffic info and good reroute guidance that you can customize.
The most unique thing about the screen other than being the largest in any car at 17 inches diagonal is that the rear view camera can be viewed constantly while driving so that it acts to supplement or replace the rear view mirror. That can be turned off so that other screen such as music, nav, power system, functional browser (no video feeds allowed in the browser for safety), etc can take up the entire screen. Hope that helps you understand the practical use of the MCU.

I would never even consider turning off the center display. As stated above there's a great night mode if the brightness bothers you. I leave mine on 'auto' which automatically switches the UI to day or night mode depending on ambient brightness.

I actually leave one of my split screens on the rear camera while I'm driving, if gives you awesome peripheral vision (fish eye effect) so you can see your blind spots. It's in full HD and looks great.

Highly recommend test driving a Model S to see for yourself, although I'll warn you that once you do, you will want to buy one immediately!

My wife, who doesn't drive my S, thinks the center display must be distracting, but I find that I never notice it unless and until I need to use it. On Model 3, it would be a bad idea to turn it off, since your speed, gearshift, AutoPilot and other indicators needed for driving, are there.

I'm hoping that it'll be an OLED screen which means that there's no backlight at all. The only light that comes out of it is from pixels that have color other than black. Using OLED one could have a very minimalist speedometer gauge while rest of the screen is OFF, completely dark. Similar to this tiny OLED showing weather:

weather_Weather_Station_GIF.jpg