Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Display the Speed Limit data for all cars, not just AP/TACC.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the new Trip Prediction graph takes into account the posted speed limit(s) along the route, why can't Tesla also display that info dynamically in the instrument cluster for all cars, like they do for the Autopilot/TACC cars?

I think the "reading the speed limit signs" autopilot thing to be rather gimicky anyway, and my GARMIN GPS unit in my ICE has had speed limit data for most major and minor roads since it came out more than 5 years ago.

While I'm driving along a trip in unfamiliar territory, and if my car *knows* what the speed limit is along that route, it would be nice if it could be displayed for me, so I don't have to wonder.

I just drove down to Florida and back, and much of the route is 70mph, but there are many areas where it changes to 65, 60, and even 55mph along the route. I shouldn't need Autopilot or TACC in order to benefit from the database of road speed limits.

I agree! I think the Navigon system already has that capability, if Tesla would enable it. I wonder if it's a function of how much money Tesla paid Garmin?

I also wonder if, when autopilot is fully operational, they'll go ahead and do this for us legacy S guys. Right now, it's a little bit of a differentiator between old and new cars.

If the new Trip Prediction graph takes into account the posted speed limit(s) along the route, why can't Tesla also display that info dynamically in the instrument cluster for all cars, like they do for the Autopilot/TACC cars?

I think the "reading the speed limit signs" autopilot thing to be rather gimicky anyway, and my GARMIN GPS unit in my ICE has had speed limit data for most major and minor roads since it came out more than 5 years ago.

While I'm driving along a trip in unfamiliar territory, and if my car *knows* what the speed limit is along that route, it would be nice if it could be displayed for me, so I don't have to wonder.

I just drove down to Florida and back, and much of the route is 70mph, but there are many areas where it changes to 65, 60, and even 55mph along the route. I shouldn't need Autopilot or TACC in order to benefit from the database of road speed limits.

+1 !!!

Maybe the US speed limit database is more up to date, or speed limits are changed less frequently, but if I would rely on what the car thinks it knows is the local speed limit I would be driving at the wrong speed quite often, even where it has changed around a year ago or more. It sees the 80 km/h sign, shows 80, and then after a few kms it changes to show 90 km/h, without there being any speed limit sign, on a road that used to be 90, so clearly it is based on the GPS data in that case.

When Google maps calculates time to reach a destination, is it using the posted speed limits or the average speeds of other vehicles driving the same segments?

If Google maps includes the speed limit data, then Tesla should be able to display that onboard. And since Google updates their maps more frequently, the speed limits should be pretty close to accurate (much better than the navigation maps - which are likely almost 2 years old by the time we get the updates).

The Navigon app on my iPhone displays the current speed limit for the section of road that I am traveling. So this is something that could be done. The in car image recognition for the newer vehicles would help the car to display speed limits that reflected very recent changes or roadwork reduced limits (when posted) but, the utility of having my old (Sig + 833) car display the known limit from the database would still be very worth it to me.

+100

I'm driving a loaner today w/ autopilot sensors. Several times it showed a speed limit on the speedo that was 10 MPH below what was shown on the road sign. So even the new cars pull from the database because the sign clearly said 65 MPH but the speedo showed 55 MPH. It could not have obtained that information from the camera reading the sign. If this data is already there, let previous owners have it too!

+100

I'm driving a loaner today w/ autopilot sensors. Several times it showed a speed limit on the speedo that was 10 MPH below what was shown on the road sign. So even the new cars pull from the database because the sign clearly said 65 MPH but the speedo showed 55 MPH. It could not have obtained that information from the camera reading the sign. If this data is already there, let previous owners have it too!

If it's showing the speed limit sign it's doing that because speed assist is enabled, and it is telling you that you are travelling faster than the speed that you have set speed assist to alert you at. I'm not certain, but this also could be why it was showing you a number you weren't expecting, depending on what settings were in use.

For example, I have mine set to let me know when I am going more than 5 MPH above the speed limit. So when that happens, the correct speed limit sign pops up. But there is also a setting to allow you to just pick a set speed and have it warn you if you go faster than that speed. I've never used that setting. But it is possible that if your car was set to say 60, and you saw a 70 MPH sign, and were going 70, the 60 MPH sign might pop up to indicate that you had set your warning speed to 60. Again, I don't know if that works that way, as I don't use it that way. I do know that if a speed limit sign was popping up, speed assist was enabled, and the car was trying to inform you that you were travelling faster than the limit that had been set.

If you still have the loaner, please check the speed assist settings, and let us know.

If it's showing the speed limit sign it's doing that because speed assist is enabled, and it is telling you that you are travelling faster than the speed that you have set speed assist to alert you at. I'm not certain, but this also could be why it was showing you a number you weren't expecting, depending on what settings were in use.

For example, I have mine set to let me know when I am going more than 5 MPH above the speed limit. So when that happens, the correct speed limit sign pops up. But there is also a setting to allow you to just pick a set speed and have it warn you if you go faster than that speed. I've never used that setting. But it is possible that if your car was set to say 60, and you saw a 70 MPH sign, and were going 70, the 60 MPH sign might pop up to indicate that you had set your warning speed to 60. Again, I don't know if that works that way, as I don't use it that way. I do know that if a speed limit sign was popping up, speed assist was enabled, and the car was trying to inform you that you were travelling faster than the limit that had been set.

If you still have the loaner, please check the speed assist settings, and let us know.

I believe the speed limit sign on the speedo reflects the legal speed limit of the road on which you are traveling. I don't have the loaner anymore... service is getting really fast with drive unit replacements! lol

I believe the speed limit sign on the speedo reflects the legal speed limit of the road on which you are traveling. I don't have the loaner anymore... service is getting really fast with drive unit replacements! lol
It does reflect the speed limit of the road, not your speed setting, or at least it's supposed to (it's not always accurate). I tried to pay attention to this and I'm pretty sure it displays the sign when it thinks the speed limit changes. Then after awhile the sign disappears (times out?) and all that is left in place of the sign is a bold line on the speedometer to indicate the current speed limit. This makes sense, as you want your attention drawn to that display when it changes, and if it was up all the time you'd just begin to ignore it.

But that's from 2 or 3 days of cumulative loaner experience. I don't have Autopilot HW.

It does reflect the speed limit of the road, not your speed setting, or at least it's supposed to (it's not always accurate). I tried to pay attention to this and I'm pretty sure it displays the sign when it thinks the speed limit changes. Then after awhile the sign disappears (times out?) and all that is left in place of the sign is a bold line on the speedometer to indicate the current speed limit. This makes sense, as you want your attention drawn to that display when it changes, and if it was up all the time you'd just begin to ignore it.

But that's from 2 or 3 days of cumulative loaner experience. I don't have Autopilot HW.

That's not quite how it works.

Unless something has changed, the speed limit sign should only display when your speed exceeds whatever threshold is set in the speed assist, and only so often. It will happen concurrently with a change in speed limit sign if you are over the threshold at that time. Also, if the threshold is the speed limit, the bold line marks the speed limit. But if the threshold you set is above the speed limit, the bold line will mark the threshold you have set. So you will need to deduce the actual speed limit by looking at the bold line, and subtracting off the amount of your threshold. As an example, I have my threshold set to warn me at 5MPH over the speed limit. If I am driving in a 65MPH zone, the little marker will be at 70MPH, and until I am driving 71 (or perhaps 70), the 65MPH speed limit sign will not be popping up, no matter how many of them I pass. If I am driving 71 and pass a 55 MPH sign, it will pop up that 55MPH sign immediately, but not because the speed limit changed, but rather because I am more than my threshold above the speed limit.

My theory about the system possibly popping up the set speed instead of the speed limit when speed assist was in the other mode was a possible theory to explain what Ampedrealtor was seeing. I had said I had never used the system in that mode. I can try it in that mode the next time I drive the car, just to make sure it does not work that way, and report back.

Thanks for the corrections/clarifications. The cars I tested on all had their thresholds tied to the speed limit, so that makes sense. It's kind of an unusual implementation choice, though. I suspect most people are going to be interested in the speed limit when they glance at the speedometer, not remembering their speed delta setting and then doing math while driving to determine the speed limit. Further, you likely want to be notified of speed limit changes whether you're currently exceeding them or not (speed limits increasing are also useful information).

I'm sure they have their reasons, but this seems poorly-thought-out to me. I was kind of sad the old cars couldn't use the speeds in the Navigon database, but I'm not sure what's described here is substantially better than nothing at all for what I'd be interested in, which is primarily knowing the current speed limit and when it changes.

Thanks for the corrections/clarifications. The cars I tested on all had their thresholds tied to the speed limit, so that makes sense. It's kind of an unusual implementation choice, though. I suspect most people are going to be interested in the speed limit when they glance at the speedometer, not remembering their speed delta setting and then doing math while driving to determine the speed limit. Further, you likely want to be notified of speed limit changes whether you're currently exceeding them or not (speed limits increasing are also useful information).

I'm sure they have their reasons, but this seems poorly-thought-out to me. I was kind of sad the old cars couldn't use the speeds in the Navigon database, but I'm not sure what's described here is substantially better than nothing at all for what I'd be interested in, which is primarily knowing the current speed limit and when it changes.

Hi,
When I had my test drive a few weeks back, the posted speed limits would pop up on the console every time there was a sign. Dunno which firmware version it was running on.

Based on what both of you said, I thought I better check my facts. So I went to the manual. It turns out the speed limit sign --does-- display when it changes:

--
Note: A speed limit sign also displays in the center of the instrumental panel when an automatically detected speed limit changes.
--

It does not, however, show the speed limit sign every time you pass a speed limit sign. (I think you may have been speeding a bit on your test drive, kaneda!)

(I'll see if I can save the appropriate pages and add them to this post.)

Speed Assist 1.jpg
Speed Assist 2.jpg

Edit: And actually, reading this very carefully, I now think the behavior Ampedrealtor was seeing could have been an "Absolute" set speed being displayed. Read that section on the second page I posted about setting an absolute speed. It says you can "manually specify any speed limit." On the first page, in the second column, under the dial, it says that "a speed limit sign displays in the center of the instrumental panel whenever you exceed the speed limit." Since you were able to set the speed limit, I think this means the theory I floated yesterday could actually be correct. I will still test this the next time I drive my car.

Last edited: