TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Displayed range has increased without charging

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SergeyUser, Oct 21, 2019.

1. SergeyUser

SergeyUser Member

So I've charged my Model 3 Mid Range @ Supercharger to 80%, and this resulted in a 197.39 range (all data as per TeslaFi). I have driven a very short distance immediately after (2 minutes, 0.88 rated miles used), which resulted, as expected, in a remaining displayed range of 196.51. And then car idled for 43 minutes, and this resulted in a completely unexpected for me displayed range increase from 196.51 to 201.4. Did this happen to anyone else? Does someone know why exactly this have happened? I understand that there is some re-calibration, etc, but pay attention this was during a short idling period. Here is the TeslaFi screenshot of the Idle period.

Attached Files:

2. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

Yes.

We drove 100+ miles to a trail head, and parked with the car showing 140 miles of range. We went for our hike and returned to the car a couple hours later to find gremlins had charged us up to 148. We picked up eight miles hiking! I attributed it to the car warming in the sun.

• Informative x 1
  3. hridge2020

hridge2020 Member

static electricity on the carpet....lol

4. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

I’ve seen this happen on occasion and it appears to be related to warm temperatures. Not sure of anything official though.

5. SergeyUser

SergeyUser Member

In my case, it was a nighttime, and it all happened within an hour after Supercharge. I have driven ~8 miles before Supercharge and less than 1 mile after. Nothing special about the Supercharge itself as well (from 55% to 80%). So it should have been pretty constant temperature (~80F outside, as per TeslaFi, during the drive after Supercharge) environment without major fluctuations.

6. ngogas

ngogas Active Member

Weird. First I have heard of this increase range. Mine lose range. Lol

7. mba83

mba83 Member

In any battery, "resting" voltage will be higher than voltage under load, and takes some time to recover to that higher voltage. Range indicator obviously uses voltage level as the main input into their magic function. Clearly Tesla did some magic to try to account for various other things, such as temperature, how hard the car was pushed, etc, but it's very difficult to accurately predict range in any situation.

8. neptunesfinest

Just happened to me today actually. I supercharged to 166mi then as i was driving away i saw the range jump to 169mi.

9. 5_+JqckQttqck

5_+JqckQttqck Active Member

This will happen more and more as the ambient temperatures drop and the pack becomes cold. BMS reads wrong voltage/current initially after being cold/charged. As the pack discharges and warms up. Battery becomes optimal and range increases (is released).

10. SergeyUser

SergeyUser Member

It was colder at night (definitely not warmer), so range increased, quite likely, not due to increased battery temperature. Edit: Actually, it just happened within 43 minutes of Idle time. And the car was just cooling down at quite constant temperature, rather than being used or warmed up.