Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Displayed Range, Watts/Mile, Calculated Battery Capacity on 2021/2022 Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering trading my 2019 LR RWD Model 3 with 19” rims for a 2022 M3P or 2022 M3 AWD.

I am trying to judge the real-world range and battery capacity that I would have in a new car. I’d lose radar, and homelink. I’d pick up acceleration and restart the warranty. Not sure what my real world experience in terms of range would be compared to the LR RWD that seems to be pretty efficient.

I am hoping that a few owners of 2021/2022 AWD or M3Ps are willing to share their current displayed max mileage (using the app slider), calculated battery capacity (using the formula 5-mile range x projected range / percentage of charge)?

I have 22,000 miles, I show ~290 max displayed range (using the slider on the app to 100%). However, my battery consistently calculates out at ~68 kWh. This worries me.

80% in town driving and my total watts/mile lifetime is 231 wh/mile.

I can go ~250miles @~80mph Phoenix to Tuscon and back without charging.

Can anyone share their ’2021 or 2022 data to what I have? Even if you only have a few thousand miles, your feedback would be helpful.

2019 LR RWD
March 2019 delivery
19” Rims
22,000 miles
~68 kWh calculated battery capacity (this feels like a big drop)
231 watts / mile lifetime (20% highway / 80 % city driving)
~288-290 displayed range at 100% (using app slider)

How does this compare to any 2021 / 2022 AWDs or M3Ps?

2019 LR RWD
March 2019 delivery
19” Rims
22,000 miles
~68 kWh calculated battery capacity (this feels like a big drop)
231 watts / mile lifetime (20% highway / 80 % city driving)
~288-290 displayed range at 100% (using app slider)

Reactions: kvanriper
I'll play
2021 LR awd. Arizona - like you? mostly charged to 60%, 14k miles, 2000 miles done with a supercharger (a guess. Road trips), the rest at home, scan my Tesla NFP: 75.9, new pack 82.1. total watts/mile is 239 (80% highway/20 city)

2022 Model 3 LR/AWD
18" Rims, but with Aero Covers removed
March 2022 delivery; 6144 miles

Typically charged daily to ~62% SOC
Approx 80% from (slow - 20-amp) Level 2 Charger; 20% Supercharger
(AC charge: 1408 kWh; DC charge: 328 kWh)
Lifetime Wh/Mile: Approx 250

Stats from ScanMyTesla...
Nominal Full Pack: 79.1 kWh
Full Pack When New: 82.1 kWh
Calculated Amp-Hour Capacity (CAC): 230Ah
Full Rated Range: 358 miles

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
2022 Model 3 LR/AWD
18" Rims, but with Aero Covers removed
March 2022 delivery; 6144 miles

Typically charged daily to ~62% SOC
Approx 80% from (slow - 20-amp) Level 2 Charger; 20% Supercharger
(AC charge: 1408 kWh; DC charge: 328 kWh)
Lifetime Wh/Mile: Approx 250

Stats from ScanMyTesla...
Nominal Full Pack: 79.1 kWh
Full Pack When New: 82.1 kWh
Calculated Amp-Hour Capacity (CAC): 230Ah
Full Rated Range: 358 miles
Hi there im new on here and in the uk. Couldnt find an exact thread for my enquiry so apologies if this is out of place here. I took delivery of my new model 3 LR on the 28th September. We dont get the 82KWH battery over here in the long range only in the performance. They have however increased the battery size from 75 to 79KWH in the LR. So i do a lot of miles, anything between 100 and 300 a day for getting tobmy surveys. I have clocked up 9100 miles so far! Have bern really busy though, generally its around 4000 miles a month. So far i have only had to use a supercharger once as i have a tesla wall connector at home. I have bought the car over 5 years so can expect to clock up around 25000 miles. After a lot of research i have come to the conclusion that to save too frequent supercharging, i generally manage with a 90 percent daily charge. However as its getting colder im finding that to avoid supercharging im sometimes charging to 95 percent. Never 100 percent.
Is my reckoning on this correct? Is it better to go up to 95 percent when needed to avoid frequent supercharging? Of course i will have to supercharge sometimes and thats why i got the tesla, for its range and charging network but have read that too frequent supercharging can degrade the battery, but will it degrade faster with too frequent supercharging or too frrquent 95 percent home charging at 7.5kwph or 33 miles an hour?
Thanks in anticipation of a reply

There's simply no way around that if we're going to use our car, we can't avoid any number of things that, on their own, aren't great for the car's battery. Like Supercharging. Or charging to high SOC's. Or driving when it's cold. Or driving when it's hot.

But you raise a great question... between more frequent Supercharging and AC charging to a high SOC... which is worse?

I'm of the opinion that Supercharging is the second most stressful thing we can do to our EV (the first being driving or charging in very cold temps, before the car can raise pack temperature). And although routinely AC charging to 90 or 95 or even 100 percent is clearly not recommended... I'd choose that over Supercharging.

Congratulations on the new car! Wonderful to see you're putting it to some serious use.

And although routinely AC charging to 90 or 95 or even 100 percent is clearly not recommended... I'd choose that over Supercharging.
Wouldn't setting up charging to finish just before you drive off reduce the amount of time spent at a high state of charge? If you do that, and set the charge level so that you will finish the day's driving below 55% (for an NCA battery), then the time spent at a high state of charge that increases degradation would be minimized, right?

Reactions: AAKEE and Regaj