Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Displayed Ranger keeps reducing in Cold Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it normal that the Displayed Range for MYP, or any other models keep dropping in winter time? e.g. 3 weeks ago it was 458km at 100% SOC on Tesla App; 2 weeks ago was 441km; last week was down to ~430km. Even the last update did not do anything on the range.

According to other posts and Tesla manual, the displayed range should not be affected by weather or driving habits, but my MYP (picked up at July with 6000km right now) displayed range just keeps dropping and dropping these days.

According to other posts and Tesla manual, the displayed range should not be affected by weather or driving habits, but my MYP (picked up at July with 6000km right now) displayed range just keeps dropping and dropping these days.
Ah. But re-read that. You're correct that the number there isn't affected by your driving behaviors. It is based on a reading of the energy in the battery. But there's still physics. The energy you can get from lithium ion batteries is a little bit dependent on the temperature it is. The car's algorithms know this, so when it's cold, it will show a little bit less energy in the battery. So yes, that's normal for the winters.

And yes, I recommend one of two things, depending on your personality of how uptight or laid back you are (or can be):
1. Stop obsessing about that rated miles number moving around a little bit and relax. It's going to move around some because estimating the amount of energy in a battery is a bit fuzzy and tricky, not like looking at the exact amount of flour sitting in a measuring cup.
or
2. Switch the display to % so you never have to see it and won't think about it.

Ah. But re-read that. You're correct that the number there isn't affected by your driving behaviors. It is based on a reading of the energy in the battery. But there's still physics. The energy you can get from lithium ion batteries is a little bit dependent on the temperature it is. The car's algorithms know this, so when it's cold, it will show a little bit less energy in the battery. So yes, that's normal for the winters.

And yes, I recommend one of two things, depending on your personality of how uptight or laid back you are (or can be):
1. Stop obsessing about that rated miles number moving around a little bit and relax. It's going to move around some because estimating the amount of energy in a battery is a bit fuzzy and tricky, not like looking at the exact amount of flour sitting in a measuring cup.
or
2. Switch the display to % so you never have to see it and won't think about it.

Thanks for your reply .

I want to make sure if this normal for Tesla in Winters. Or, should I let the BMS calibrates more accurately because I did some research here and there to teach M3/Y owners how to get cars better calibrated during deep sleep for some hrs at various SOC.

I want to make sure if this normal for Tesla in Winters. Or, should I let the BMS calibrates more accurately because I did some research here and there to teach M3/Y owners how to get cars better calibrated during deep sleep for some hrs at various SOC.
Well, sure, there are procedures that people can do to try to help calibration, but people are only doing that because they are tying themselves in knots being bothered at seeing the number drift or because it's moving around from what they "expect" it should be. But none of that is really necessary. That's a bit more of trying to fix the human than fix the car.

Reactions: mark95476