Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distance Display, Stop! Warning, and Summoning Reliability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In prep for getting our second M3, I've mocked up an image showing the fit in the garage. My wife is going to have some trouble going in and out.

1. Based on the picture below, do you think she can rely on the distance measurements on the screen and the "Stop!" warning when backing in? That is, might the car ever misjudge the distance and hit something without warning?

2. In the past, I recall horror stories of the car hitting something while doing a forward or reverse summon. Any recent reports of something like that?

Thanks.

Two Cars In Garage.jpeg

Reactions: Lindenwood
In prep for getting our second M3, I've mocked up an image showing the fit in the garage. My wife is going to have some trouble going in and out.

1. Based on the picture below, do you think she can rely on the distance measurements on the screen and the "Stop!" warning when backing in? That is, might the car ever misjudge the distance and hit something without warning?

2. In the past, I recall horror stories of the car hitting something while doing a forward or reverse summon. Any recent reports of something like that?

Thanks.

View attachment 801563

It would be much better do what people used to do in these instances, which was to either:

1. Mount a tennis ball on a string that is suspended at the distance that the driver should stop at, or
2. buy inexpensive bumpers for the floor to feel for when you pull in, like these:

If I had any doubt at all about my wife's likelihood of successfully backing into her spot 100% of the time - some people just don't have the same depth and spatial perception as others - I would have her drive straight into the garage. Even if it meant having to re-work the charging setup.

Congrats on the second M3!

If I had any doubt at all about my wife's likelihood of successfully backing into her spot 100% of the time - some people just don't have the same depth and spatial perception as others - I would have her drive straight into the garage. Even if it meant having to re-work the charging setup.

Congrats on the second M3!
Yes, we may end up with that. The charging cord will reach fine either way. She would still have to back out, but that's easier.