Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distance driving - Brisbane to Sydney

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the data for Port to Sydney.

IMG_4344.jpg

and now charging the was it should be done.

IMG_4346.jpg

I should get the car this week, it left the Sydney store on Friday. On next Sunday afternoon / night, I have to drive to Toowoomba from the Sunshine Coast and back. Leaving at 4.00pm. It is total of 450km. I assume that is probably beyond the range of the car, even sitting right on the speed limit. If it is a step too far then I have to decide between staying the night in Toowoomba or driving the old car. Copped a razz from some of the family at the dinner table tonight when I expressed concern with the distance. My wife does not yet share my enthusiasm for the technology, the boys (teenagers) are just hoping I get an insurance policy that lets them drive it (not a chance in hell).

I should get the car this week, it left the Sydney store on Friday. On next Sunday afternoon / night, I have to drive to Toowoomba from the Sunshine Coast and back. Leaving at 4.00pm. It is total of 450km. I assume that is probably beyond the range of the car, even sitting right on the speed limit. If it is a step too far then I have to decide between staying the night in Toowoomba or driving the old car. Copped a razz from some of the family at the dinner table tonight when I expressed concern with the distance. My wife does not yet share my enthusiasm for the technology, the boys (teenagers) are just hoping I get an insurance policy that lets them drive it (not a chance in hell).
Ya - I've got a 16 year old who wants a shot at mine (also not a chance). As you are staying the night in TWB, (say 12 hours), you could pickup 120 km using the Tesla UMC and that (if you have a Tesla UMC) with sticking to the speed limit and not panicking about the usage going up the range will do it.
Pity tho: no launches; still that is what bought me undone on my first trip to TWB.

BTW: If you don't have a UMC, you may borrow mine.

Second option is to use the fast DC charger at Tritrum at Coopers Plains with a CHAdeMO adaptor. Again, if you don't have one, borrow mine.

Ray

Thanks for the kind offer Ray. I assume I will find my UMC in the car when it arrives. I will find a place where I can plug in for the night and stay the night in Toowoomba.
cheers
Chris
Should you be low on the morning of the return journey, remember you pick up a bit coming down the range.
Could also, stop for a couple of hours at Roma Street Parklands and you can pick up a bit from my wall charger (can even pretend it was part of the plan).

Ray

Just adding numbers to what Ray said about descending the Range; but in our case Cunningham's Gap, a similar descent from Toowoomba, but on the Warwick to Brisbane road.

As we crested the hill the rated range indicated 192km available. It held that value for most of the descent then jumped to 197km available. It hovered at 197km for at least another 3 minutes or so, as presumably a myriad of calculations were made internally. We went a total of 19km, to just past Aratula before the rated range read 192km again. All done at the speed limits (70, 80, 100) with the TACC engaged.

As the saying goes, Your Mileage May Vary!