Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distances between Super Chargers inaccurate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was making a road trip from Coral Springs to Ocala to visit my in-laws and found inaccuracies in the distances noted on the SC tab in the browse feature in the map. Before leaving I used Google Earth to estimate the distances between SC to plan my energy needs and driving speeds as it is more critical when using a MS 60 with range limited to a max of 195 rated miles max. Plotting the course on Google earth I found it to be about 143 miles between PSL and Pt Orange, yet while charging my map said it was only 129 miles while at the PSL SC. I figured it was using GPS point to point vs actual road distances. So checking it again while I was at Pt Orange charging it indicated the PSL SC was 137 miles away yet there was 147 miles on my trip odometer. This would confirm that the distances are being measured in GPS point to point as opposed to actual road miles. So my suggestion when planning a trip don't rely on those distances unless you are really close.

Same goes for any distances on a destination list using any commercially available GPS. Portable computers don't have the power yet to give you a list of destinations in reasonable time with true distances calculated to each destination on the list. So they give you a "as the crow flies" distance.

But yes, this is something to be aware of - you need to do a full navigation when you're at the SuperCharger to see how far the next SuperCharger is. If you just look at the list you may not charge enough.

This is another reason to make sure to order the Tech package!

I was making a road trip from Coral Springs to Ocala to visit my in-laws and found inaccuracies in the distances noted on the SC tab in the browse feature in the map. Before leaving I used Google Earth to estimate the distances between SC to plan my energy needs and driving speeds as it is more critical when using a MS 60 with range limited to a max of 195 rated miles max. Plotting the course on Google earth I found it to be about 143 miles between PSL and Pt Orange, yet while charging my map said it was only 129 miles while at the PSL SC. I figured it was using GPS point to point vs actual road distances. So checking it again while I was at Pt Orange charging it indicated the PSL SC was 137 miles away yet there was 147 miles on my trip odometer. This would confirm that the distances are being measured in GPS point to point as opposed to actual road miles. So my suggestion when planning a trip don't rely on those distances unless you are really close.
That seems kind of ridiculous. It would be trivial to just have a lookup list with all the road distances between superchargers so the numbers would be accurate. It's not like there are thousands of them.

Every GPS I've ever used shows as the crow flies unless you navigate there. Simply tap the next supercharger while charging so it calculates the route and it will show actual mileage.

Absolutely! Be happy it's just a reasonable ratio in Florida. In the mountains of Colorado, actual can be 2x or more times "as the crow flies." You don't have to deal with vertical much in Florida, but speed is a big deal as well. Call EVTripPlanner up on your in-car web browser for a very good estimate. Just be careful of extra loss to headwinds.

I have found it benficial while waiting for my supercharge to complete to allow the car to Navigate to the next stop. That way accurate distance WILL be displayed and you can make the proper decision when you have charged enough to comfortably complete your travel to the next stop.

Every GPS I've ever used shows as the crow flies unless you navigate there. Simply tap the next supercharger while charging so it calculates the route and it will show actual mileage.

Exactly. The distances that pull up on the browse menu tab are, I believe, as the crow flies. You only get accurate distances when hitting the navigate button to an individual SC from your location. I have found that when doing that, the distance is accurate based on tracking that a couple of times on my odometer.

I have found it benficial while waiting for my supercharge to complete to allow the car to Navigate to the next stop. That way accurate distance WILL be displayed and you can make the proper decision when you have charged enough to comfortably complete your travel to the next stop.
Indeed. I do this almost every time. This gives me the number that I then pad accordingly based on my rough estimate of the impact of climate, terrain, traffic, and driving style.

I believe the OP doesn't have the Tech package, so can't do this.
Correct, dont have a tech package and this is really not a major issue with me, driving around Fla I just make sure I have about 15% more miles in the green than I need and then just hammer it down. It worked will on my trip this week, jumped from SC to SC without trouble and once I did the NB trip I was a little more aggressive on the SB leg. Just wanted to be sure that I was figuring this correct. I did find a website "distances between cities" that gives both the CROWS route and my road distance. It was pretty accurate.