Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distorted windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Ben177

Aug 17, 2020
UK
Obviously haven’t driven my car much since I got it just before Christmas due to lockdowns, but I’ve now found there is a noticeable distortion on the left hand side of the screen.

Has anyone else suffered this? And if the screen was replaced by Tesla did that solve it?

Obviously haven’t driven my car much since I got it just before Christmas due to lockdowns, but I’ve now found there is a noticeable distortion on the left hand side of the screen.

Has anyone else suffered this? And if the screen was replaced by Tesla did that solve it?
I had pretty bad distortion in my MS windscreen. I pointed out it was a safety hazard, I couldn’t see at night, lights would refract all over it.

Tesla told me to pound sand. Good luck.

I haven't noticed any distortion in the windscreen..But when the rear screen heater is on I have seen very noticeable distortions, horizontal lines, in the glass.

We had a 2/3 vertical length scratch on the inside passenger side of our windscreen. It only got picked up in certain light so wasn't spotted at first - and once spotted, you could not 'unsee' it - deep enough to feel with a finger nail in places. After initially trying to polish out, they eventually decided to replace the windscreen.

I sometimes see headlights at a distance vertically split into two distinct light sources.

Can’t discount my eyes - but I don’t see it outside of the car....however I’m not using them the same way then.

Either way - it’s not serious enough to affect safety - so I shrug and forget about it.

What’s the distortion you see? Other than the star-field-passing-warp-effect when you floor it - we all see that...

• Funny
Reactions: exlatccatsa
There’s a ripple. It’s like looking through clear water.

Many a similar issue has been resolved by using a decent glass polish to remove the invisible residue that seems to be left over on the screen after delivery. Particularly bad on wet and/or dark drives.

Top tip for those recently taken delivery, esp in this rain

It will probably be the first thing that Tesla will try so would at least save an unnecessary and/or extended service visit if you could say to them that you have tried that.

Many a similar issue has been resolved by using a decent glass polish to remove the invisible residue that seems to be left over on the screen after delivery. Particularly bad on wet and/or dark drives.

Top tip for those recently taken delivery, esp in this rain

It will probably be the first thing that Tesla will try so would at least save an unnecessary and/or extended service visit if you could say to them that you have tried that.

Yes, I’ve done that. First thing I did when I got the car was detail it, including cleaning the windscreen thoroughly with IPA. This is definitely distorted glass. The patch is like looking through the window of a really old building. As you move your head, what you’re looking at changes shape.

My guess is that it is the laminated layer at fault rather than the glass. It certainly should be looked on as a warranty fault as it shouldn't be there and I have never ever seen it on any other car.
I wonder what the legal description of a windscreen covers. I'm sure there will be some mention of clarity but will depend on the size of the area.
After all, my Ampera had a huge blind spot caused by overly wide A pillars and that was allowed.

No one is saying it isn’t...except Tesla. And that’s ultimately who you have to convince.

Not too worried. One advantage to the strong UK consumer laws.

I have a mobile tech coming next week, so I’ll get their opinion on it, and then raise a service request. If that doesn’t work then I’ll follow up through my company fleet.

I raised a service request through the app earlier this week, with a description of the issue, and requested a replacement windscreen. Couldn't photograph it though and said as much in the service request.

Today got the estimate in the app of £0.00 and confirmation of the service centre booking the week after next. So it looks like it's all going through warranty fine.

Reactions: Adopado
I just had my windscreen replaced on my M3SR+ because of a stone chip. On my first drive with the car I’ve noticed that the bottom of the windscreen is distorted. The double yellow lines on the road suddenly curve in. Very annoying and makes you dizzy after a while! I will try to clean the glass but my guess is it is a fault in the windscreen. Is that common with Tesla?

I just had my windscreen replaced on my M3SR+ because of a stone chip. On my first drive with the car I’ve noticed that the bottom of the windscreen is distorted. The double yellow lines on the road suddenly curve in. Very annoying and makes you dizzy after a while! I will try to clean the glass but my guess is it is a fault in the windscreen. Is that common with Tesla?
Teslas have a lot of unique tech but is the windsreen anything special? Surely it is no different to the screen on any other car. So suprised it should be worse than other makes. Could be they just don't inspect as well / at all I guess.

Doesn’t sound like a fault that will be solved by cleaning. I had my screen replaced after a stone chip - no problems with either the original, or the replacement screen. Seems like you have a faulty one.