Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Distorted windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Straight from the factory, why no one from Tesla decided to correct this before giving out to a customer is beyond me.
Of all the cars that I have ordered used and new, I've never seen anything like this before.

looks like the glass was not cooled correctly and now there's a difference in thickness.
Will service center actually fix this or will they try to play me like a flute acting like this is "normal"

When its 100% not normal. In fact its causing some serious eye strain. Last thing I want is to get into accident because of this front windshield.

Attachments

• IMG_4525.JPG
    IMG_4525.JPG
    416.8 KB · Views: 2,654
  • IMG_4528.JPG
    IMG_4528.JPG
    369.3 KB · Views: 780
I had a dip in the glass at the roofline, just cosmetic but looked odd. They werent going to replace it at first but then told me they would as I was leaving because i was going to get the windshield tinted. Guess they figured better off doing it now rather than later and having to deal with replacing tint also.
Betting its just at the discretion of the tech that looks at it.

Reactions: Noodles
Do you still have that issue? did Tesla come around to fix it?
Nope. I sold the car because of that, batterygate, chargegate, etc...

They wouldn’t budge.

The lesson I learned, opt out of the arbitration clause immediately.

I should note I’m picking up a MY this week so I’m not a Tesla short. I just think the way they treat their customers is awful.

I had a dip in the glass at the roofline, just cosmetic but looked odd. They weren't going to replace it at first but then told me they would as I was leaving because i was going to get the windshield tinted. Guess they figured better off doing it now rather than later and having to deal with replacing tint also.
Betting its just at the discretion of the tech that looks at it.

I just checked ... yeah I have a dip in the corner of the roof glass as well. its small I can live with that, I perfer it not being there of course.

I got an appointment with a local service center in two weeks.
Lets hope for the best.

Last edited:
All of them have this...plus ghosting on some. Sad reality of the design.

Apologies from coming out like a "know it all snob" but as a manufacture engineer it's hard not too

Yes, you are correct and I want to add more to it.
It's a manufacture defect because the glass is so thin it wasn't cooled correctly. Plain and simple. no ifs and or buts about it. it's a design that outputs high defects.

Engineers at Tesla used minimal amount of FOS "factor of safety" due to cost analysis. Higher the FOS the thicker the glass has to be. Some engineers in that room take their engineering pride so far they forget about piratical designs. They want to show off their engineering calculations skills to their higher ups at the expense of user experience. They get a "good job" and maybe a pat on the back ... and we suffer for it.

When an object bends (all objects) the outer layer thins out and inner layer thickens. Nothing you can do about it, its how nature works.

Which sucks, because it's that thin layer that gets pitted and cracked when a pebble strikes the glass at god knows the mph about 130-150 mphs probably.

as for myself, I CAN NOT accept this for a $50,000 car

Agreed (fellow PE here). Its the world we live in. $50K and $150K, $300K cars, same treatment.

Don't waste your energy, just accept it or replace the windshield (and gamble with other, worse defects and a high probability of a botched replacement).

Reactions: Noodles
The lesson I learned, opt out of the arbitration clause immediately.

Old thread, but for others looking at this, you can still sue in small claims court even if you didn't opt out of arbitration. A windshield would be a small claims court situation because of the low dollar amount. See this thread by Gearcruncher: