TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Distribution Sequence

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by PRSIST, Sep 2, 2017.

1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Does anybody have a definitive answer on distribution sequence?

Scenario #1: ALL employees and previous Tesla owners world wide get their cars first, then the general public starting in California and moving eastward.

Or:

Scenario #2: Employees and previous Tesla owners in EACH Region get their cars first then all general public in that same REGION get theirs. THEN the employees and previous Tesla owners in the next REGION get their cars first, then general public in that same region gets theirs. And so on.

If Elon has explained all this, then I missed it with all the information that has been published on these forums.

2. dsvick

dsvick Active Member

No, I don't think Tesla has published this or explained it completely anywhere. Also, there are certainly more than those two scenarios.

From what they've said though scenario one is not going to happen since they've said right hand drive deliveries won't start until late 2018 and there are thousands of non-owners and non-employees in the US that have estimated delivery dates in 2017.

I don't think scenario two is correct either, again using the estimated delivery dates on the Tesla site, there are many owners that have estimated dates for SR and AWD that are after the estimated dates for non-owners for LR. And there are overlapping delivery dates for different regions as well.

They can't exhaust all the reservation holders in one region before moving on since that would overwhelm delivery centers in that region while other regions are still only doing S and X deliveries. Most likely is that they'll invite a number of people from a region to configure, then after a week or two invite an equal number from the next region moving Eastward.

• Like x 1
  3. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

Very interesting question. I'll bet it's somewhere in between. I would also bet that the vast majority of Tesla employees are in CA so even if the do send cars to the rest of the employees in all left hand drive countries, it shouldn't be too many.

4. Troy

Troy Active Member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Hi. I think the production sequence for California orders will look like this:
    1. Model 3 80, Employees (100%)
    2. Model 3 80, Owners (100%)
    3. Model 3 80, Non-owners (part 1/2)
    4. Model 3 55, Employees (100%)
    5. Model 3 55, Owners (100%)
    6. Model 3 55, Non-owners (part 1/2)
    7. Model 3 80, Non-owners (part 2/2)
    8. Model 3 55, Non-owners (part 2/2)
    9. Model 3 55D/80D/P80D, Employees (100%)
    10. Model 3 55D/80D/P80D, Owners (100%)
    11. Model 3 55D/80D/P80D, Non-owners (100%)
    I think they will produce all Model 3 80's for employees and then all 80's for owners. However, in #3, by the time they are finished with a small portion, the Model 3 55 will be ready. That means they should continue with #4 and #5 and pause #3 for a while.

In other regions, the sequence will look different. For example, by the time Europe deliveries start, all 5 versions of the Model 3 will be ready. Therefore, it might look like this:
    1. Model 3 55/80/55D/80D/P80D, Employees (100%)
    2. Model 3 55/80/55D/80D/P80D, Owners (100%)
    3. Model 3 55/80/55D/80D/P80D, Non-owners (100%)

• Like x 2
  5. mrongey

mrongey Member