Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disturbance at super charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pull into WaWa at palm coast Florida to charge and see an Acura SUV parked in a Tesla charge stall. I plug in two spots away and tell the Acura owner, who is sitting in his car, Nice Tesla!

Several minutes later his wife arrives and after he helped her load up he approached my car with his best “what’s up” pose he could muster.

It gets ugly from there with both wives telling us to get back in our cars. Bottom line, this guy went out of his way to park in a Tesla stall when he had tons of other options closer to the store. My wife thought I over-reacted. I’m a nice guy but I’m not a chump. Whenever I see this happen they are going to hear about it.

Pull into WaWa at palm coast Florida to charge and see an Acura SUV parked in a Tesla charge stall. I plug in two spots away and tell the Acura owner, who is sitting in his car, Nice Tesla!

Several minutes later his wife arrives and after he helped her load up he approached my car with his best “what’s up” pose he could muster.

It gets ugly from there with both wives telling us to get back in our cars. Bottom line, this guy went out of his way to park in a Tesla stall when he had tons of other options closer to the store. My wife thought I over-reacted. I’m a nice guy but I’m not a chump. Whenever I see this happen they are going to hear about it.

Was it worth it? How full was the supercharger otherwise?

Possibly yes, but this guy went out of his way looking for trouble. You can always cower beside your car and avert your gaze.
You mean to say YOU went out of your way looking for trouble, right?

Frankly, I don’t care where anyone else chooses to park. It only becomes an issue when all chargers are full. Which they were not in this case. So you made a giant nothing into an altercation. Good luck with that strategy. Especially in Florida.

"Hey, not sure if you knew but these spots are usually reserved for electric charging since. Many of us rely on them on road trips since we don't stop at gas stations. Usually not a big deal to park here if it's not full, but somebody might come along and hassle you." => man, I parked in a Tesla spot today and this nice Tesla owner gave me some insight about something I never considered

vs => man, all Tesla owners are a holes

;)

"Hey, not sure if you knew but these spots are usually reserved for electric charging since. Many of us rely on them on road trips since we don't stop at gas stations. Usually not a big deal to park here if it's not full, but somebody might come along and hassle you." => man, I parked in a Tesla spot today and this nice Tesla owner gave me some insight about something I never considered

vs => man, all Tesla owners are a holes

;)
What’s that thing about flies and honey?

I probably would have reacted to some degree. I think ALL charging spots should say something like "Reserved for actively charging vehicles" or some such. Rarely have I seen charging sites full, but I have seen it. The one time I found a charging site full, the OP had obviously already been through and gently moved the offenders to other parking options.

What gets me is that these people feel that charging spots are open parking and get huffy when anyone reminds them. OF COURSE they know they're in the wrong, but unless all the spots are taken, it's no big deal. I might have asked if he'd ever driven a Tesla and offer him a drive. My charging could wait 5 - 10 minutes, and I love showing off my car.

I probably would have reacted to some degree. I think ALL charging spots should say something like "Reserved for actively charging vehicles" or some such. Rarely have I seen charging sites full, but I have seen it. The one time I found a charging site full, the OP had obviously already been through and gently moved the offenders to other parking options.

What gets me is that these people feel that charging spots are open parking and get huffy when anyone reminds them. OF COURSE they know they're in the wrong, but unless all the spots are taken, it's no big deal. I might have asked if he'd ever driven a Tesla and offer him a drive. My charging could wait 5 - 10 minutes, and I love showing off my car.
He wouldn’t have been interested in a ride. He said he would never own a piece of *sugar* tesla and became agitated at my “nice Tesla” comment.

Parking in an electric car spot while not plugged in should be a towable violation.
And in the absence of that it’s not unreasonable that offenders should come back to 4 flat tires.
Fighting stupid with stupid is not likely to yield the results you want.

In some states it IS a towable/citable offense, I’m certainly in favor of more of that. Unfortunately we live in a world (or at least a country) where it’s necessary to legislate being an un-shitty human.

Fighting stupid with stupid is not likely to yield the results you want.

In some states it IS a towable/citable offense, I’m certainly in favor of more of that. Unfortunately we live in a world (or at least a country) where it’s necessary to legislate being an un-shitty human.
Sadly fighting stupid with politeness, forgiveness and understanding isn’t yielding the results we want, or rather need, either.

If the charger was full perhaps.
Yes, and apparently you can park in a handicap stall as long as there is another available or if you don’t see any handicap people around. You can park in the fire lane as long as there is no fire and if there is still room for a fire truck. You can park in the curbside pick-up lane as long as there is another available.

I’m fine with you having no capacity to confront an issue or a bully in public, just know we aren’t all like you.

Despite many open parking places, this guy in Alvarado, Tx parked across 2 1/2 charging spots then went in and ate at Sonic. I arrived and charged in the spot right behind the truck so as not to share with the M3 in the foreground. Had someone else pulled in to charge in front he would have been sandwiched in, but he came out after about 15 minutes and drove away.

Attachments

• 5A4BEBBA-.jpg
    5A4BEBBA-.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 148