Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disturbance at super charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite many open parking places, this guy in Alvarado, Tx parked across 2 1/2 charging spots then went in and ate at Sonic. I arrived and charged in the spot right behind the truck so as not to share with the M3 in the foreground. Had someone else pulled in to charge in front he would have been sandwiched in, but he came out after about 15 minutes and drove away.
Meal Team 6.

Pull into WaWa at palm coast Florida to charge and see an Acura SUV parked in a Tesla charge stall. I plug in two spots away and tell the Acura owner, who is sitting in his car, Nice Tesla!

Several minutes later his wife arrives and after he helped her load up he approached my car with his best “what’s up” pose he could muster.

It gets ugly from there with both wives telling us to get back in our cars. Bottom line, this guy went out of his way to park in a Tesla stall when he had tons of other options closer to the store. My wife thought I over-reacted. I’m a nice guy but I’m not a chump. Whenever I see this happen they are going to hear about it.
Remember @Florida53 not everyone understands charging and how it may be important. Spots were available so he/she decided to park there without probably knowing that it was needed....but since you stated spots were available why was it an issue?

A better way to approach it would either just be quiet (as is didn't impact your charging or anyone else for that matter) or simply try and tell the person that it would be nice if he/she parked in an open spot. CRISIS averted!
I probably would have reacted to some degree. I think ALL charging spots should say something like "Reserved for actively charging vehicles" or some such. Rarely have I seen charging sites full, but I have seen it. The one time I found a charging site full, the OP had obviously already been through and gently moved the offenders to other parking options.

What gets me is that these people feel that charging spots are open parking and get huffy when anyone reminds them. OF COURSE they know they're in the wrong, but unless all the spots are taken, it's no big deal. I might have asked if he'd ever driven a Tesla and offer him a drive. My charging could wait 5 - 10 minutes, and I love showing off my car.
Just the opposite IMO. If no charging was impacted I would let it ride.

The term here is called ICE-ing (google it) and is exactly what this guy was doing.
Again, No spots were preventing you from charging correct?

I wrote up a LONG post that I will have to write up again if need be. Tell me how it is any different than "reverse ICEing" which happens more than you know.

A little bit of kindness and courtesy goes a LONG way. Again, not being there, but @Florida53 you probably could have made some better decisions.

There are public laws against all of those examples. I don’t know if the ICE car driver you saw was breaking any law at all.
Yes, except for the curbside pickup lane there are laws. I never claimed ICE ing was against the law. At least not at this time.

Again, if this stuff freighters you by all means stand by and say nothing, and if all stalls are full or blocked quietly wait away from the area until you feel it’s safe to charge.

Despite many open parking places, this guy in Alvarado, Tx parked across 2 1/2 charging spots then went in and ate at Sonic. I arrived and charged in the spot right behind the truck so as not to share with the M3 in the foreground. Had someone else pulled in to charge in front he would have been sandwiched in, but he came out after about 15 minutes and drove away.
It’s true many of these obviously purposeful ICE ing incidents have had little impact on charging and are apparently hilarious to many Tesla owners. However, with millions of these vehicles soon to be hitting the streets this could change quickly and some of the members here may have a different opinion soon.

There are public laws against all of those examples. I don’t know if the ICE car driver you saw was breaking any law at all.
Herein lies the problem of laws not catching up.
There should be a law against it and it needs to be enforced quickly and consistently.

A law would benefit EV drivers by not potentially leaving them stranded, and it would reduce the likelihood of this ending badly.
Two months ago I was trying to get back home quickly as my wife had been taken to ER in a serious condition. Despite driving through a rural part of the neighboring state I luckily did not encounter anyone deliberately ICEing the CCS chargers the car needed. If I did I’d politely ask them to move explaining the situation and if they still refused I’d have dragged them out of the vehicle and moved it myself. In that situation I would have no fear of the police or for my personal safety.
This is the seriousness of this ICEing issue. Someone is going to get hurt or killed by pulling this crap if they encounter the wrong person on the wrong day.

Herein lies the problem of laws not catching up.
There should be a law against it and it needs to be enforced quickly and consistently.

A law would benefit EV drivers by not potentially leaving them stranded, and it would reduce the likelihood of this ending badly.
Two months ago I was trying to get back home quickly as my wife had been taken to ER in a serious condition. Despite driving through a rural part of the neighboring state I luckily did not encounter anyone deliberately ICEing the CCS chargers the car needed. If I did I’d politely ask them to move explaining the situation and if they still refused I’d have dragged them out of the vehicle and moved it myself. In that situation I would have no fear of the police or for my personal safety.
This is the seriousness of this ICEing issue. Someone is going to get hurt or killed by pulling this crap if they encounter the wrong person on the wrong day.

I will "bite".....

So how is it ANY different when an EV (Tesla because this is a Tesla forum) parks when anyone needs to fill up with diesel/gas?

Again....it goes BOTH ways. I can't tell you how many times that it goes the "other way".

I will "bite".....

So how is it ANY different when an EV (Tesla because this is a Tesla forum) parks when anyone needs to fill up with diesel/gas?

Again....it goes BOTH ways. I can't tell you how many times that it goes the "other way".
And how many times does this happen?
You can’t tell me because it’s far, far, far rather than the ICEing.
But yes, it does go both ways.

This was my first trip and I only encountered this once out of approximately 20 super chargers I stopped at. Another driver did block a Tesla destination charger which was right outside the rear door of the hotel and was not clearly marked as a charging stall. I had no issue with this driver at all.

And how many times does this happen?
You can’t tell me because it’s far, far, far rather than the ICEing.
But yes, it does go both ways.

Ohhhh I can tell you it happens a TON here where I live!

We have the LONE supercharger site on I-25 here in Colorado.

It is frustrating but I elect NOT to be the "Richard Head" to confront folks when it does happen.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I will "bite".....

Again....it goes BOTH ways. I can't tell you how many times that it goes the "other way
If Tesla drivers block a fuel stall for no other reason than to be an A$$ then they are clearly wrong and if I was waiting to fill up they would hear from me too. (I’m aware this will trigger some)

This was my first trip and I only encountered this once out of approximately 20 super chargers I stopped at. Another driver did block a Tesla destination charger which was right outside the rear door of the hotel and was not clearly marked as a charging stall. I had no issue with this driver at all.
I road trip a lot.
When it comes to destination chargers at hotels you can’t rely on them at all because in my experience they are ICEd half the time.
Specifically the ones located anywhere near the door as people are both lazy and selfish. Clear signage makes no difference, on a pole, on the ground, green painted bays in common with signage, nothing works. People don’t care.
I only book hotels with charging where the charger is as far away from the door as possible, ideally to the rear of the property even otherwise there’s no chance of getting to use it.

Ohhhh I can tell you it happens a TON here where I live!

We have the LONE supercharger site on I-25 here in Colorado.

It is frustrating but I elect NOT to be the "Richard Head" to confront folks when it does happen.
You’re not the one bing the “Richard head” for confronting someone who is ICEing (or EVing or whatever the term is for gas pumps), the person doing the act is.
That said, I wouldn’t bother doing what the OP did as despite being in the right you have to consider the intelligence and character of the perpetrator so you’re not going to get anywhere thus making the whole thing pointless. You only have to see how many people who believe the earth is flat or the election was stolen to realize just how mentally challenged a large proportion of our population is…

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Where are all these mythical EVs blocking gas pumps? 😆 Give me a break.

I'm all for the law catching up to reality on this issue and dealing with infantile man-children blocking public infrastructure to make some mouth breathing political point. Vigilante justice isn't the way, nor is confronting said infants who are obviously out there seeking provocation. I made a joke upthread (which based on the reactions apparently "triggered" a bunch of people because I mentioned guns), but to be honest it's not really a joke. This country is full of angry violent wackjobs just looking for an excuse to polish their barrel.

You’re not the one bing the “Richard head” for confronting someone who is ICEing (or EVing or whatever the term is for gas pumps), the person doing the act is.
That said, I wouldn’t bother doing what the OP did as despite being in the right you have to consider the intelligence and character of the perpetrator so you’re not going to get anywhere thus making the whole thing pointless. You only have to see how many people who believe the earth is flat or the election was stolen to realize just how mentally challenged a large proportion of our population is…
So you would say "NICE [insert car]" and then pursue an issue that happened in the original post? "perpetrator"?

Am I missing something or are you responding to another post?

Thoughts????

Last edited:
So you would say "NICE [insert car]" and then pursue an issue that happened in the original post? "perpetrator"?

Am I missing something or are you responding to another post?

Thoughts????
I would not say anything as the root cause of this, deliberately parking an ICE vehicle in a charging spot, was by a perpetrator (dictionary: a person who commits a harmful, illegal or immoral act) who would not feel any shame or remorse nor would he adjust his behavior in future. And it matters not whether you say “nice X” or explain politely, he wants to feel empowered and would love to tell the story of how he triggered a snowflake as some badge of pride.

However if I had put myself into the position of a face to face with an aggressor I would not back down. I have never backed down from bullies or the uneducated knuckle draggers and I’m not about to start now.

This is why we will never have world peace or even nice things. The country can only move forward at the rate of its slowest members. And that’s glacially slow.

I would not say anything as the root cause of this, deliberately parking an ICE vehicle in a charging spot, was by a perpetrator (dictionary: a person who commits a harmful, illegal or immoral act) who would not feel any shame or remorse nor would he adjust his behavior in future. And it matters not whether you say “nice X” or explain politely, he wants to feel empowered and would love to tell the story of how he triggered a snowflake as some badge of pride.

However if I had put myself into the position of a face to face with an aggressor I would not back down. I have never backed down from bullies or the uneducated knuckle draggers and I’m not about to start now.

This is why we will never have world peace or even nice things. The country can only move forward at the rate of its slowest members. And that’s glacially slow.

Supercharger tough guys are so Chad. 🤙

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd and glide