Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Almost Free Super Bright LEDs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm ok with modifying my Model 3 but it always gets a bit more complicated if I updated a car that is not my own. I've had situations where I suddenly became the lifetime tech support after I applied my initial mod to a friend's computer. Any quirk or weird behavior I suddenly became the level 1 tech support line. After that I said "no more" I'll just mod my own devices.

Reactions: Akikiki
I'm ok with modifying my Model 3 but it always gets a bit more complicated if I updated a car that is not my own. I've had situations where I suddenly became the lifetime tech support after I applied my initial mod to a friend's computer. Any quirk or weird behavior I suddenly became the level 1 tech support line. After that I said "no more" I'll just mod my own devices.
This is such an important point. And it happens for any sort of offered assistance. After helping my neighbor with a plumbing job, I now seem to own his entire plumbing situation. I install a toilet, and in a few weeks, he wants to know why that made the kitchen faucet start leaking... Same with electrical. Once it is touched, it then becomes my problem. So I agree... helping folks modify their cars is something that I generally shy away from. I'm happy to show people how, not so happy with actually doing the work. And even showing how can come with similar strings attached, unfortunately...

I used a small screwdriver to wedge it between the clear and black clip holder. When I wedged it in I slowly used the screwdriver to pry up the clear housing away from the black housing just a little in that section then do the same to the other 3 corners until they are all unlocked, after that you can simply pull out the black case away from the clear housing. The clear case was pretty resilient. Like you I was taking my time with the first light assembly to get a feel of how much pressure I could apply to jostle loose the clear housing from the LED unit. Once you get that off, use a small screwdriver the lift the existing LED board from the black housing. it will break off at the soldered terminals nicely so no need to remove any solder.

Reactions: Akikiki
Whats the easiest way to pry the black housing from the clear holder?
I am scared by using a small screwdriver i am going to crack the plastic by prying the 4 holes at the side one at a time
Honestly, even if you crack any of the plastic while prying, the project is not ruined. Super glue would put it back together just fine. Remember that all you see is the clear lens... everything else, not so much. It just takes a bit of patience. And once you've done a couple of them, you'll get the knack, and figure out the best tool and method.

Don't worry about it, and you'll get it.

Reactions: Cowby
Thanks! Ordered. Can’t wait for them to come in on Monday.

Did you only do 3 LEDs per light replacement or cram 6 into each unit? Trying to determine if it’ll be too bright with 6 6
I've found that 3 is ideal. Yes, you can make them brighter, but I don't think that the extra current draw, and extra heat is worth it. Three fits so perfectly, it's meant to be!

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: Cowby and Fiddler
If you can find 3 that are closer together - it'll be easier to fit them in.
Bought a strip that was waterproof - but had to peel away the protective covering to get it to fit inside.

Also, had many attempts where if I bent the strips to much to force it to fit - the light just wouldnt work - had to make sure it was working first before snapping back the clear housing (for me that was the worst part of this DIY - thanks buyehara for the detailed explanation).

You guys like making stuff with LEDs... look at this. I added a wireless remote relay that turned on momentarily and persistently. When the headlights are on, the lights look like eyes and the LED strip a smile. When I approached another Tesla, I flipped the lights on to smile at them as I passed. One lady chased me down to find out how I did it. Tried to talk me into do it for her. Uh-huh.
LED Smile 1.JPG

LED Smile 2.JPG

I went with 6 just because I could fit 6 inside the housing. RpmTesla also has 6 inside their upgraded lights. Opened my trunk on a really dark back road and I found the lighting pretty good. Was even considering adding another strip in since I already have the lights.

Didn’t really think about the heat or current draw, because I don’t keep my trunk open for extended periods, and if I can do the whole strip of 600 plugged in, the difference between 12 and 6 has to be pretty minimal. Also the 2x6 lights is still less than adding a long strip of lights like I have seen in other projects.

G
Thanks @KDGr the LED density is perfect! Just replaced all my light fixtures and now everything is 3x brighter! I selected the 600 LED cool white lights. It was impossible to unsolder the original single LED module so I followed the suggestion of breaking off the original module at the connecting side and it worked great and saved a ton of time. I ended up upgrading the lights to the entry door lights (4x), foot well area (driver and passenger) 2x, and finally the trunk 2x. All together had to retrofit 8 modules. This saved me a TON of money. Be sure to add some solder to the LED ribbon connector prior to installing into the light module. It makes is much easier to solder to the power terminal posts.

Update: added two more images, the LED reel box and the reel it self. Just have to cut along the cut symbol area. Very easy!
Good idea about the solder prior to install.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby