Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Ambient lightning using EL Wire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One last thing. I also got a lighter port usb plug to use for the power. USB C Car Charger,Zikko Aluminum... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M8DWTSS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’ve had this install for over 2 months in my car with no issues at all. No back feed noise coming from the converters what’s so ever. Really a solid way to do this install. Hope it helps.

Great feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to share info about the components you bought to put your mod together. I am also glad to hear you haven't had any problems with it. Hopefully, I can replicate those results!

One last thing. I also got a lighter port usb plug to use for the power. USB C Car Charger,Zikko Aluminum... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M8DWTSS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I’ve had this install for over 2 months in my car with no issues at all. No back feed noise coming from the converters what’s so ever. Really a solid way to do this install. Hope it helps.

Great feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to share info about the components you bought to put your mod together. I am also glad to hear you haven't had any problems with it. Hopefully, I can replicate those results!

Would you guys mind showing a photo of how you have the el wires connected to the center console for power? I'm looking to do this myself this weekend!

Also, since these are plugged into the USB ports, are they always on when the car is on?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
Would you guys mind showing a photo of how you have the el wires connected to the center console for power? I'm looking to do this myself this weekend!

Also, since these are plugged into the USB ports, are they always on when the car is on?

Thanks!!
Unfortunately, I have been out of town for work for the last month and not had a chance to install the el wires yet. That said, I believe you need to unplug the usb power cord when you don't want them on.

Unfortunately, I have been out of town for work for the last month and not had a chance to install the el wires yet. That said, I believe you need to unplug the usb power cord when you don't want them on.

Great thanks.

I'm going to try and do something similar to this:

A little interior lighting mod

I want the lights to come on automatically with the rest of the lighting. Kind of a nuisance to constantly plug it in and take it out.

Thanks for the details you provided on the parts and your install. It looks fantastic!

1. How does the lighting strip stay in place and not fall out? Do you have it glued in?
  2. I'm assuming you have one connection for the light that goes on the dash - connected to one USB port. Is that correct?
  3. And two connections for the seats powered by another USB port. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance!

Look at posts 20-21. I used a usb splitter and a cigarette lighter plug to power all 3 strips from the same power source. This way I was able to leave the USB ports free. The lights are made to push into the gaps of the 2 adjacent panels where you are installing them. There is no glue used at all. They fit snug with no issues at all. Also the light strips I posted above are the only ones I found that don’t produce a buzzing sound when plugged in. I tested out multiple lights and these work perfect with no noise feedback.

Thanks for the details you provided on the parts and your install. It looks fantastic!

1. How does the lighting strip stay in place and not fall out? Do you have it glued in?
  2. I'm assuming you have one connection for the light that goes on the dash - connected to one USB port. Is that correct?
  3. And two connections for the seats powered by another USB port. Is that correct?
Thanks in advance!

I didn’t take any good pictures. I found these in my phone. On the dash you can make out the strip and you can see the seats in the night time. I’m sorry again for the bad pictures.
941FECDD-3585-4B3A-ACC1-1D15FC4152BF.jpeg
879301F3-EFB5-4704-8856-5FCBE68BBB0A.jpeg
B35A00C1-BE12-495D-AFA4-5FFF2B0CAA38.jpeg

Hi all
sharing some pictures of what I accomplished by using this: Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com
to add some ambient lightning to my model X (also possible on model S).

1 EL wire in between the dash-trim and 1 EL wire in each back of the front seats (in between the leather and the plastic trim)
View attachment 405860

the view from outside
View attachment 405862

I followed the instructions as shown in this youtube video:

if interested I can share some more details about the installation/wiring etc...

Not to revive an old post but I finally tried this on the seats...is there any way to keep the lighting on during driving? I used a 12V inverter connected directly to the lights under the seats. They only turn on when the car is in park.

Not to revive an old post but I finally tried this on the seats...is there any way to keep the lighting on during driving? I used a 12V inverter connected directly to the lights under the seats. They only turn on when the car is in park.
I wonder if anyone has created a jumper plug that can feed power directly from the ambient lighting in one of the doors or under the dash.. that way the lights could be controlled via the touch screen...