Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY...Big Brake Kit for Under 2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta love when your rotors are bigger than the entire wheels on cars. On that note, you’re .75inches shy of having larger brake rotors than the Tesla Roadster had wheels.

i get fitting the same size rotor as OEM, for replacement purposes. fitting a larger rotor for a car that doesn't get tracked (where it makes sense) feels wasteful to me. a) it's not going to increase stopping power b) you're adding rotational mass which will actually make your car perform worse.

i get fitting the same size rotor as OEM, for replacement purposes. fitting a larger rotor for a car that doesn't get tracked (where it makes sense) feels wasteful to me. a) it's not going to increase stopping power b) you're adding rotational mass which will actually make your car perform worse.

Looks like you didn't read original post and making a post with zero first hand knowledge.

A) Absolutely increased stopping power, it's still way better than OEM now 2 years later.
B) 2 piece rotors were lighter than OEM rotors even though they are bigger.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Looks like you didn't read original post and making a post with zero first hand knowledge.

A) Absolutely increased stopping power, it's still way better than OEM now 2 years later.
B) 2 piece rotors were lighter than OEM rotors even though they are bigger.

have done plenty of diy and off the shelf bbks in the past. no need to be so defensive. my reply was in response to the 390mm rotor, which, will be heavier than a 370mm rotor with the same 2pc rotor hat. yes, there are weigh savings from going from the cast 1 pc rotor to a 2pc setup.

oops, accidentally hit reply

as for "increased stopping power". i guess it depends what you mean by that. will give your braking system greater heat capacity, for repeated high speed stops? yes. does it make your car "brake faster" no, it won't. a sticker tire will do that.

I mean, by that theory all the P- Tesla’s are wasteful. And really any car with more than what? 300hp? Is really wasted if you don’t track it. How many people NEED to go 0-60 in under 3 seconds? And how many regularly do?

I get your point - it’s certainly one that’s well understood by me. But don’t mistake a general appreciation for the part for a lack of understanding.

I mean, by that theory all the P- Tesla’s are wasteful. And really any car with more than what? 300hp? Is really wasted if you don’t track it. How many people NEED to go 0-60 in under 3 seconds? And how many regularly do?

I get your point - it’s certainly one that’s well understood by me. But don’t mistake a general appreciation for the part for a lack of understanding.

haha, i'd argue > 100hp is a waste...but, this is coming from a a spec miata owner. don't get me wrong, i love modding things, if you wanna throw 390s on, by all means.

No reason for this post except my RB brakes just passed the 50 K mile mark with no problems. RB pads and fluid change work perfectly except for the occasional click now that the rotors have been worked hard a few times.

Just completed mine:

Attachments

• photo5021884429630548146.jpg
    photo5021884429630548146.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 210
Reactions: All In