Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY...Big Brake Kit for Under 2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I had mine made to.
26.3mm from mating surface of hat to mating surface of hub. The grommet between the ring and the hat is 1mm thick (going by memory) so 27.3mm from hub surface to rotor ring surface.
34.6mm hat height.

View attachment 334357
View attachment 334358
That looks like solidworks which version. could you share STP file or SW file if its version 2013 or below??

Thanks, that is pretty cool, but does reduce the clearance you need by even more. Any idea if those things are rated to hold some thing as heavy as a model S?

They have a 3 ton load rating, handles a model S or X just fine.

Keep in mind, a Model S really isn't THAT heavy. Curb weight is less than 5000lbs on a MS. It's on the hefty side but it's about the same weight as say a Lexus LS sedan.

As for clearance, I haven't had any issues using it with a harbor freight steel floor jack.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Selling my complete big brake kit. Haven't figured out a price yet. Let me know if interested.
20210914_162153.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dunnman99
I'd like to upgrade my front brakes but not looking to spend $10k-$20k tbh. Is there a way for maybe $3k-$4k ? Since I don't go to the track, I don't need expensive ceramic. Maybe it's just me, but $20k Tesla wants to charge for a brake kit seems totally ridiculous considering the car should have come with better brakes to begin with.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I'd like to upgrade my front brakes but not looking to spend $10k-$20k tbh. Is there a way for maybe $3k-$4k ? Since I don't go to the track, I don't need expensive ceramic. Maybe it's just me, but $20k Tesla wants to charge for a brake kit seems totally ridiculous considering the car should have come with better brakes to begin with.
Ceramic brakes are not for the track. In the same size, they are worse than irons. Ceramic gives better handling, very low dust, and street durability. They are expensive street brakes with good properties for the street.

For the street, start with pads, then cooling, then the Upcoming MPP brace, and then bigger rotors on stock calipers.

Ceramic brakes are not for the track. In the same size, they are worse than irons. Ceramic gives better handling, very low dust, and street durability. They are expensive street brakes with good properties for the street.

For the street, start with pads, then cooling, then the Upcoming MPP brace, and then bigger rotors on stock calipers.
Agreed!! You should use Steel rotors for track so you don’t trash your expensive carbon rotors.
We’ve been tracking our model s with 390mm steel rotors and they take a beating like a champ.

Attachments

• 46C45C2F-AB60-455E-8555-AA3233148E87.jpeg
    46C45C2F-AB60-455E-8555-AA3233148E87.jpeg
    608 KB · Views: 121
  • 69094407-6A65-47F1-9307-E2F1D5A3DCE5.jpeg
    69094407-6A65-47F1-9307-E2F1D5A3DCE5.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: Flyguy and All In
This is for information only in case others are interested in a project, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Couple questions for you.

I don’t have access to a machine shop, so im looking to do this as plug and play as possible.

I can buy the rotors from RB no problem, and I don’t mind drilling the bolt hole.

But what’s this about modifying the brake distribution block? Is that necessary if using EVTuning stainless brake lines?

And for the rears, did you just drill the mount home and swap them on? Nothing else needed there?