Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Big Brake Kit with Brembo 6 piston Calipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A creative kit? Dude, many other chassis use this exact caliper in their “cheap” BBK. You should have been running after the drift kiddies or the Subaru crowd, for the last 8yrs+.

People with screen names can become forum sponsors, I’d imagine you had to create your screen name and then sign up to be a forum sponsor.

Proven installs? Many bad reviews of said products that were installed.

Support. Laugh. Jeeebus. This is much. I prefer products that speak for themselves vs a ‘screen name’ not addressing actual issues with their product and trying to swing that ‘sponsor’ title around like it’s the new Hawtness.

Good day sir. Can’t wait to see how you attack… errrmm… retort.

RB has support? 😂🤣 Strange, because when my $2000 RB rotors were ruined and surging horribly bad because of what the machinist told me was cheap metallurgy (even after having them re-ground properly, not turned), I sent them a message on their site that went completely unanswered, then got called out on here, posted my data about how bad they were, and the complaint was responded to with empty echoes traveling through a canyon. I'll chalk that up to a good lesson learned.

Paragons are on there now with zero issues or complaints. Hell, I think I'd go to a wood shop and have them mill me a set of rotors from pine tree wood before I used another set of RB.

@Lindenwood - this similar to what RB offers, but with Girodisc reputation and cheaper as well. I haven’t checked recently, but their offering was 1800 vs 1200.

We have fulfilled the first round, but happy to facilitate another one.

Currently there are 2 that are interested and would need another 3 to get it going again.
I’d love to be added as well. Looks like RB have dropped the price of their kit (actually cheaper, with the coupon code they have above), but after that embarrassing post they just made… yeah.

I’m a huge fan of Girodisc anyway!

If you want to see something comical, zoom in closely on this photo of my rotors and look at the air vent placement inside the slots. The slots themselves are also cut at strange angles, kind of like 'oh I think we can fit an extra one in here'. There's no pattern to the vent holes, it literally looks like a drunk guy grabbed a dremel and just popped some holes in there by eyeballing and freehanding the cutouts. these aren't a random pic from the internet, they are a photo of my personal $2000 paperweights.

QC is not a word that existed with this product.

PXL_20210908_022148150.jpg

If it weren't for the Girodisc opportunity, I'd have gone with the MPP rotor upgrade (which I believe uses Girodisc special made rotors) on my stock performance calipers instead. RB was NEVER an option.

Who are we? Just a bunch of enthusiasts who know garbage QC and service when we see it.

For those reading this thread, Girodisc was approached by one of our members to see if this were possible. They agreed to work with him to get things done as long as they're made in batches of 5 (guessing machine costs/waste balance out at 5 for the hats to be cut). R&D was done with a supplied caliper, ZZ Performance bolts, and Tesla factory knuckle. Girodisc did the measurements and test fitting on the supplied parts.

In other words, they didn't initiate any of this, as it's all a project that started with our members wanting to use CTS V caliper with QUALITY rotors.

See kids? This is why it's important to stand behind your products and service.

If it weren't for the Girodisc opportunity, I'd have gone with the MPP rotor upgrade (which I believe uses Girodisc special made rotors) on my stock performance calipers instead. RB was NEVER an option.

Who are we? Just a bunch of enthusiasts who know garbage QC and service when we see it.

For those reading this thread, Girodisc was approached by one of our members to see if this were possible. They agreed to work with him to get things done as long as they're made in batches of 5 (guessing machine costs/waste balance out at 5 for the hats to be cut). R&D was done with a supplied caliper, ZZ Performance bolts, and Tesla factory knuckle. Girodisc did the measurements and test fitting on the supplied parts.

In other words, they didn't initiate any of this, as it's all a project that started with our members wanting to use CTS V caliper with QUALITY rotors.

See kids? This is why it's important to stand behind your products and service.
Damn…I didn’t want this to snowball with my post bc I was trying to be nice but I guess we’re here now lol.

Damn…I didn’t want this to snowball with my post bc I was trying to be nice but I guess we’re here now lol.
Nah, they deserve it. I've researched BBKs going back a few years and definitely came across enough RB issues to leave them be. The way they left members here and on other forums hanging really irked me already, but for them to come in and demand to know who organized this group buy (on top of their superiority complex) further rubbed me the wrong way. It's been really clear from the onset how this was put together, but I figured I would spell it out for them.

Thank g I did not buy rbs bbk for our Plaid.
Yeah…don’t. So their BBK on someone’s plaid left a “black ring” on their rotors. As you know they coat their rotors and the pad needs to scrub the coating off. Well… They “engineered” a bigger rotor without changing the hat and so the area in red and towards the center did not get scrubbed.

Let’s just say the two piece rotor had 2 colors on it and it looked really funny if you can visualize it. I’m trying to find the pic but here’s the RB diagram of 65mm of pad over a 76mm surface so it left 11mm of original unused rotor and finish that would never be scrubbed off 🤦🏻‍♂️

Brake engineers….go figure.
75FC4F51-2F48-4B3D-BC35-4D21A6A1DAC3.jpeg

Yeah…don’t. So their BBK on someone’s plaid left a “black ring” on their rotors. As you know they coat their rotors and the pad needs to scrub the coating off. Well… They “engineered” a bigger rotor without changing the hat and so the area in red and towards the center did not get scrubbed.

Let’s just say the two piece rotor had 2 colors on it and it looked really funny if you can visualize it. I’m trying to find the pic but here’s the RB diagram of 65mm of pad over a 76mm surface so it left 11mm of original unused rotor and finish that would never be scrubbed off 🤦🏻‍♂️

Brake engineers….go figure.
View attachment 825378
Yeah, no, lmao. I went with UP Carbon Ceramics, but they told me they could have them in 2-3 weeks, after a month, I emailed them and they told me it would be another 3 months, so I canceled them.

I am probably going to order MPP rotors and do a more aggressive pad. Hopefully, that is sufficient for the street.

Contact Michael @ Hytech Processing in Inglewood, CA. Keep in mind I brought him the bare aluminum, already stripped pieces completely disassembled. I supplied the decals off ebay. The place that stripped the paint was a small local shop called PartsReborn. They used aluminum oxide to strip the original powdercoat.

Reactions: jesse_le
@RB_PB

Let me start off by addressing some of your callouts
  • Ready to ship, no wait - Correct there is wait time with Girodisc as these are custom made.
  • No Deposit to hold - There is no deposit on these custom rotors. Simply pay them directly and you have your product in 2-3 weeks.
  • A creative kit developed by RB vs. copy cat kit - RB did not actually come up with this idea. The original concept came from the screen name: Lukez so if anyone is copy catting anyone it's RB coping Lukez.
  • Proven installation and result - I have not seen anyone on this particular forum running your rotors linked above. I have however seen other threads on RB Rotors failing with the Hats shearing of the rings and that part has been proven.
  • Show support to your forum sponsors - You're absolutely right we should support our forum sponsors, but the way you carry yourself is not a vendor I would want to be involved with.
  • I am NOT a forum vendor, but I have been transparent throughout this process and have not gained any benefits, kickbacks, or money.
  • Who is Girodisc? If you don't know your competition or where your product stack up against the next, highly suggest you do so.
  • The only relation I have to Girodisc is that I am local to them.
I originally wanted to use RB Retrofit rotors, but at that time RB was selling the rotors for ~2k with brake pads or ~1880 without pads (20 bucks off - not a typo) and by the time you add up all parts, you might as well buy a Big Brake kit. Plus after all the research I did, I would NEVER install an RB product on any of my vehicles. Knowing this, I worked with Girodisc to provide a cost-effective solution providing all the parts they would need to R/D the setup. Unfortunately, I was not ready to back this project on my own and this is where the group of screen names came together to help make this a reality. I don't see anything wrong with having more options!

Interesting.... RB price has now changed to fall in line with Girodisc's offering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.