Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Car Wash Guys - How do you avoid dust coat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess it is entirely my fault for getting Solid Black, but does anyone have any secrets on keeping the car dust-free longer than a few hours? Aside from keeping it in the garage?

I actually enjoy washing the car, but I'd welcome any suggestions that could minimize the time between washes. I've tried waxing, but it seems to actually attract MORE dust. I suspect it's static electricity/cling. The car does 'feel' more slick, but that doesn't stop a fine layer of dust from settling all over the car. I practically have to do a post-wax wash-down after I give a day for the wax to cure.

Ceramic coating helps to keep stuff from sticking to it. Also, towel dry it (with a proper micorfibre towel). Letting it air dry gives dust in the air a chance to stick to the wet spots.
Yep, I have been using clean microfiber towels to wipe it down. The dust layer doesn't happen immediately after a wash, but it's almost like dust gets 'attracted' to the surface when I take it out. It's a very fine 'coating' of dust... it doesn't accumulate. I've had other black cars, but I guess the metallic/pearl paints hide this phenomenon better.

Don't think there's anything out there that will reduce dust from accumulating on your panels unfortunately.
I wasn't hoping for a miracle. I think there are things like PPF and ceramic coating will help to some degree... but I was just looking to see if anyone had a car washing 'process' that helps keep their car cleaner longer. I think waxing/buffing does cause dust to cling back onto the car quicker, from what I've personally experienced... but again -- maybe it's this @#$@#! Solid Black paint.

There is no magic secret. Black looks dirty 30 seconds after a wash especially on a car parked outside, especially in spring when there’s so much pollen flying around. It’s not just Tesla paint, it happens with every car. Ceramic coating supposedly helps *reduce* dust and dirt accumulation but it’s still going to happen.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I have blue 3 and white Y and I feel the same, it seems that these cars show dust and dirt more than our Toyota/Honda/BMW. I am using a ceramic spray.

In prior vehicles I used ONR, but don't really recall what I used for wax. I felt I didn't have the same dust and water spot problems.

I'm going to have to disagree with some of you guys. My car is also coated and after a rinseless wash, I usually top it with either P&S Paint Gloss or McKee's 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash & Wax. Both of these products adds slickness and are anti-dust. If I could choose one, I'd probably pick the McKee's 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash & Wax as my current favorite.

Reactions: dduffey
I'm going to have to disagree with some of you guys. My car is also coated and after a rinseless wash, I usually top it with either P&S Paint Gloss or McKee's 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash & Wax. Both of these products adds slickness and are anti-dust. If I could choose one, I'd probably pick the McKee's 37 N-914 Rinseless Wash & Wax as my current favorite.

Thanks D Unit,
My routine has been the ONR and Ceramic Wax/Coat. I'll check out McKee's 37 N-914.

Your pictured car is white. That’s a whole other ball game. My cars are white, they stay cool to the touch, they don’t show dust, and it’s the color seen furthest away (very old data, that, but I still believe it’s true). Anyway a dark color shows every bit of dust and a black car is the worst. Black looks absolutely fantastic when clean and shiny but the clean and shiny gets dusty very quickly. My white car looks good clean and shiny but not nearly as impressive as a black one. A day later mine still looks clean and shiny, but a black one doesn’t.

There are detailing sprays that used with a microfiber cloth will lift that surface dust and make that black car again glow. If I had a black car, that’s what I’d use.

But it looks like a white car!

Yep, I have been using clean microfiber towels to wipe it down. The dust layer doesn't happen immediately after a wash, but it's almost like dust gets 'attracted' to the surface when I take it out. It's a very fine 'coating' of dust... it doesn't accumulate. I've had other black cars, but I guess the metallic/pearl paints hide this phenomenon better.

I wasn't hoping for a miracle. I think there are things like PPF and ceramic coating will help to some degree... but I was just looking to see if anyone had a car washing 'process' that helps keep their car cleaner longer. I think waxing/buffing does cause dust to cling back onto the car quicker, from what I've personally experienced... but again -- maybe it's this @#$@#! Solid Black paint.
I have Solid Black with full car STEK PPF. I can see dust starting to come back even before I'm finished washing the car.

Unfortunately it seems like it's just something that you will have to live with owning this color.