TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

DIY Caron Fiber Door Sills

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by jbadger, Mar 7, 2013.

1. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

#1 jbadger, Mar 7, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
    My stock door sills were cracked when I bought my car from the previous owner. I contemplated spending the $1400 for the Tesla Carbon Fiber Door Sills, or buying these from eBay Carbon Fiber Door Sills for Roadster.

Instead, I decided to buy this Carbon Fiber Vinyl Wrap made by 3M on Amazon. It took about one hour and I only had enough Vinyl to cover one sill, but I was very impressed and will be doing the passender sill in a week or so when the other roll comes in. There are a few imperfections, but overall I think it looks really good. I'll provide an update when I find out if they show scuffs and how easy they are to clean.

IMG_0441 - Version 2.jpg IMG_0442 - Version 2.jpg IMG_0444 - Version 2.jpg IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0446.JPG

2. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

pictures attachments didn't come through.

3. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

Thanks Jackyche,

I've re-uploaded the images and they appear to be coming through now.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Looks very nice. Will be interested to hear how it holds up.

5. jbadger

jbadger Roadster #506

Today, I received my second roll of vinyl. I installed it on the passenger side sill, and it went better than the first. Since I am careful on my side to prevent scratches and scrapes, we will see how the passenger side holds up.

IMG_0463_2.jpg

The other day I was sitting on the driver side sill to wash the inside of the windows, and my iPhone was in my back pocket. When I stood up I noticed a scrape on the sill. It's less noticeable from most angles, but definitely there. There are still no scrapes from my shoes.

IMG_0465_2.jpg