Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Diy ceramic coat after professional paint correction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm a DIY'er. I did the whole process; correct the paint with 3 stages of cutting polishing, and applied 2 coats of CQuartz ceramic. I know why they charge so much; it takes hours and hours and hours. Looks fantastic but with the winters we get here, and the car sand blasted with salts it doesn't last as long as they claim, so it is basically an annual event. That is with using the reload as well. The finest quality plain old wax barely lasts 1 month though, and who wants to do that every month, so I say it is worthwhile.

Absolutely doing the wheels insides with ceramic coating makes cleaning them SO much easier. I did my summer set but didn't do the winter set I have on the car now, and even the days above zero degrees when I can actually use a hose to spray the wheels through the tiny slots in the slipstream alloys doesn't release the many ounces of caked-on clay based sand/salty grit residue. One needs to agitate with a brush to get it all. It is typical to have the wheels so far off of balance from the deposits that the wheel shakes on the highway several times in winters.

Just ordered the CQuartz plastic and wheel formula and will see how that works compared to the "regular" ceramic coating.

How are the Tesla paints from the factory? If I do the 303 within a few weeks of delivery, will it still need claybarred and such or just a good washing?

Regardless of brand, almost ALL vehicles benefit from either a clay process or IronX type product after delivery. Yes, even brand new. environmental fallout, fallout during transport, rail dust, and other contaminants get onto the paint and should be removed before applying sealants, waxes, etc

Reactions: dark cloud
why ? is it bad using a brush? i thought if you use 2 bucket method it is safe? whats a better way?
hand washing is typically done by hand even with a 2 bucket method. personally I wouldnt want the pole anywhere near my car where i could scratch or damage the paint accidently. I only 2 bucket handwash my cars and use a 3rd bucket with different wash mitt for wheels. Depending how dirty the car is I'll pull out the pressure washer and foam gun but typically just garden hose is enough. I'm also anal so I use an air dryer to remove the water/drops from the car after cleaning as well.

Curious to know why you won't be doing Ceramic pro again. Not worth it for the cost?
probably for the same reasons i stated in my post.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS
How are the Tesla paints from the factory? If I do the 303 within a few weeks of delivery, will it still need claybarred and such or just a good washing?
I’ve had to color correct both of my new Tesla’s. Paint came with swirls and imperfections that could mostly be polished out. The 2nd one apparently sat outside for awhile, and had caked on crud they did not bother to clean up much before delivery. So it depends on a bit of luck.

Curious to know why you won't be doing Ceramic pro again. Not worth it for the cost?

imo, it's expensive for what you get. it's sold to people as something that will protect the car from environmental variables (at best) or the end-all solution (at worst). I initially coated my F350 super duty, allroad, and GT3 because I wanted to reduce the time spent washing/drying after ski trips, after track days, and just all around daily driving.

turns out you can't just hose down the vehicle. also turns out it's still susceptible to hard water spots. I learned this after I parked next to a sprinkler at the grocery store. I was told, after the fact, "nothing will prevent hard water spots" I also learned that each vehicle that I had coated (3x) would each require a yearly "$100 top off" to maintain any warranty. no thanks. and, at every avenue there was an upsell: ceramic windshield coating, ceramic track caliper package, ceramic wheel package, etc, etc, etc

while I would have loved for the product to have worked as advertised...unfortunately, it's my opinion that the whole thing is just a scam.

Reactions: SilverGS
imo, it's expensive for what you get. it's sold to people as something that will protect the car from environmental variables (at best) or the end-all solution (at worst). I initially coated my F350 super duty, allroad, and GT3 because I wanted to reduce the time spent washing/drying after ski trips, after track days, and just all around daily driving.

turns out you can't just hose down the vehicle. also turns out it's still susceptible to hard water spots. I learned this after I parked next to a sprinkler at the grocery store. I was told, after the fact, "nothing will prevent hard water spots" I also learned that each vehicle that I had coated (3x) would each require a yearly "$100 top off" to maintain any warranty. no thanks. and, at every avenue there was an upsell: ceramic windshield coating, ceramic track caliper package, ceramic wheel package, etc, etc, etc

while I would have loved for the product to have worked as advertised...unfortunately, it's my opinion that the whole thing is just a scam.

Well said it’s nothing but a scam!
I did a lot of research and decided to just so it myself with almost close to same results.

had mine done 1 Feb 2020.....this time I will use c-quartz 3.0 UK and do it myself.....~$95 vs $1875....it will be easy to clay bar but time consuming......after that, the application of c-quartz will be easy....
you realize just because you claybar and ceramic for $95 you're not exactly going to have the same quality as what you got for 1800. sure clay removes the contaminants on the paint but you still cause imperfections using clay and ceramic is just going to lock all those defects for you to look at.

you realize just because you claybar and ceramic for $95 you're not exactly going to have the same quality as what you got for 1800. sure clay removes the contaminants on the paint but you still cause imperfections using clay and ceramic is just going to lock all those defects for you to look at.
I understand....If my car were any other color than the " Pearl White Multi-Coat ", I would feel the same way you do....however, I do not believe you will see any, if there are any, imperfections in the white color

Reactions: krsgio