Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Ceramic Coating - Product Recommendations and Input

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're finally getting our MX after 14 months of waiting. I am planning to DIY ceramic coating, but I am unsure of which POLISH to use. Considering that the paint is in good condition with minor swirls from the dealer detailing, do you think the Menzerna Super Finish 3500 w/ LC black is too aggressive for the new Tesla paint?

My plan is as follows:

Step 1: Wash
Step 2: Iron X
Step 3: Clay
Step 4: Polish - Menzerna Super Finish 3500 w/ LC Black pads.
Step 5: Carpro Eraser for wipedown
Step 6: Ceramic Coating with Nasiol ZR53

Any comments or input would be greatly appreciated.

Yes please!
How did it go? Any tips for those of us considering trying it ourselves?

My apologies, it's been a crazy busy month and I didn't have time to respond. Everything went smoothly and the car looks great!

Here are some tips:

Step 1-3: Try doing step 1-3 the day before and letting the car sit in the garage for a day so the water can dry. Although I had an air compressor to blow out all the water, I still had to wipe off some water during the polishing process. To save time, you can mask the car the day before. In addition, I would recommend investing in a clay mitt as this has saved me a great deal of time and effort.

Step 4: I planned to use black pads, but I ended up using blue. Inspecting the paint after washing and claying, I found a lot of spider scratches but didn't want to be too aggressive. This is the longest and most time-consuming process. If you would like to save yourself some time and effort, you may consider hiring a mobile detailer.

Step 5: The process is pretty straightforward. Wipe on and wipe off.

Step 6: Last but not least, a small ceramic coating bottle will go a long way, so do not hesitate to apply as much as you need. The only thing I would have liked to have had were extra towels for coating the ceramic. As part of the kit, a wipe off towel and a buffing towel are included. However, by the time I had completed half of the car, the towel needed to be replaced.

Overall, the entire process took about nine hours, including a few breaks.

If you have any additional questions feel free to message me!
IMG-4070.jpg
IMG-4074.jpg
IMG-4077.jpg
IMG-4078.jpg