Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title, I'm debating whether to attempt applying a ceramic coat to my M3P, using DaveW's excellent guide. I'm going to ask what is probably a very dozy question. Do you apply the ceramic coat to the glass roof of the M3? I know the principle of ceramic coating is that the coating bonds chemically with the paintwork, hence the question about the glass.

I'd be very interested to hear whether you've attempted a DIY ceramic job and how you got on. My main concern is that I have no cover for the car and guaranteeing at least 12 hours of dry weather at this time of year could be a problem.....

I'd wait until spring and use a spray on ceramic spray like Gtech C2 liquid crystal in the mean time. Sure it wont last as long, nor be as shiny but it should help protect for a few months. Apart from rain, your other tricky part will be temperature and daylight hours. As too low and too dark makes spotting hazing and errors harder.

Spring gives you a slightly warmer day not so hot as to make it unworkable. Do you have all the other tools you'll need to do a great job. E.g Dual action polisher, inspection lights, panel wipe, clay bars etc etc?

I've bought the Autoglym Ultra HD Ceramic Coating kit when it was on offer on Amazon with a view to doing it next spring/summer. I have the use of a large covered unit but it's not heated. I'll do a mild polish / paint correction first. The car will be 12 months old by then and so it will be part of it's 1st year anniversary refresh :)

Reactions: FlyingTimbo
Funny you posted this, I'm contemplating a diy myself too! I opted to wait it out and get all the cleaning essentials, until it gets warmer. Like you I don't have a cover for the car overnight. How important are the panel wipes?

Got the following from the dangerous cleaning thread;
K4 pressure washer,
Kerchers Snow foam lancer (still contemplating a different one - any suggestions?)
Eight Below Snow Foam,
Dodo Juice (Born To Be Mild),
Autoglym Polar seal (may order the gyeon if the polar seal isn't upto par),
New mits and microfibers.

Pending purchases
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
Qtech Exo 4
Gtechniq clear vision (from reading this)

Needless to say my bank manager / wife doesn't like you very much @DaveW

Funny you posted this, I'm contemplating a diy myself too! I opted to wait it out and get all the cleaning essentials, until it gets warmer. Like you I don't have a cover for the car overnight. How important are the panel wipes?

Got the following from the dangerous cleaning thread;
K4 pressure washer,
Kerchers Snow foam lancer (still contemplating a different one - any suggestions?)
Eight Below Snow Foam,
Dodo Juice (Born To Be Mild),
Autoglym Polar seal (may order the gyeon if the polar seal isn't upto par),
New mits and microfibers.

Pending purchases
Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light
Qtech Exo 4
Gtechniq clear vision (from reading this)

Needless to say my bank manager / wife doesn't like you very much @DaveW

Glad to be of service ;) :D

Panel wipe is a great product that removes wax / polish ahead of you applying any kind of ceramic coating. It’s a wipe on/off solution rather than wipes.

The Karcher snow foam lance isn’t great to be honest, there’s some links on my page to some half decent ones, including the one I use.

Yes, I guess waiting for better weather makes sense. To be honest, the thing that worries me most is making an almighty cock-up and ending up paying someone to sort it out! Because if it's possible to mess it up, you can rely on me! Not having cover to keep a decent environment to work in is a concern as well. Talking myself out of it aren't I?!

Yes, I guess waiting for better weather makes sense. To be honest, the thing that worries me most is making an almighty cock-up and ending up paying someone to sort it out! Because if it's possible to mess it up, you can rely on me! Not having cover to keep a decent environment to work in is a concern as well. Talking myself out of it aren't I?!

Maybe just give it a good wash, clay and some wet coat for now? It’ll repel water like nobodies business and will still have a good shine.

For anyone considering the DIY route, there's no need to do the whole car in one visit. Panel at a time if you need to. That may help to work around the weather/keep the coated panel warm etc. and importantly allow time for you to learn and correct as you continue to tackle more panels.

• Informative
Reactions: Beady3647
For anyone considering the DIY route, there's no need to do the whole car in one visit. Panel at a time if you need to. That may help to work around the weather/keep the coated panel warm etc. and importantly allow time for you to learn and correct as you continue to tackle more panels.

yeah, I still have my front and bonnet to do. Couple of things I did think about though, was that each time I have to go back and do it, is another set of hours of work, cleaning, decontaminating and polishing etc again as the car will have gotten dirty etc by then. I found that this is by far that is the most time consuming and laborious part. Also the unused ceramic coating has a finite life span, so if you buy and use them and wait until spring they could expire(not sure how much that matters, but it’s in the instructions)

So on the weekend, I precleaned, cleaned, dried, panel wiped, and then applied a coat of Gtech CSL and clear vision. Buffed it all and let it cure. The following day rain was forecasted in the evening so I didn't get around to do the 2 coats of Exo.

QQ for the Exo coats, I assume I need to do the whole process again? Do I have to wait between the Exo coats?

I foam washed, clay barred, washed, waxed & dried & polished them 2 coats ( over 36 hrs) of drexlar ceramic then top coat sealer 24 hrs later.
Very pleased with the result.
20201030_094219.jpg