TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

DIY Coating, Polish, Sealant for new MS?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by chriSharek, Mar 12, 2016.

1. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

Folks, I am the type of car owner that actually enjoys washing and detailing my own car. I don't mind "having to" wax it even once a month if it's going to look great.

Having said that, I'm interested to hear what car products you have used that really give the shine/pop/mirror-like finish to your MS - and something that a do-it-yourselfer can install.

Thanks!

2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Chris: If you are old school, Glass Wax. Also check out Zaino Brothers coatings. Also Check out Chemical Guys which carries A full line of sealers, prep and supplies... Great service from them... Also of course Griots....

3. cman8

cman8 Member

opticoat and be done for a while. You can use the upkeep products but I would say that opticoat will be the best I have tried. I also use Chemical Guys stuff, its really good I like their honey dew soap in my foam cannon. lathers the cars up real nice. Just got my MS and am already washing it today hahaha.

4. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

All the comparisons I have seen seem to show that regular waxing produces a better shine that the sealants like Opticoat. The sealants are lower maintenance which those who don't like regular washing/waxing really appreciate. I have had great luck with Zaino products on my Viper and have been using Glare on the Model S with great results. Zaino was much more fun with all the different products they have.

5. marty2112

marty2112 Member

I went with CQuartz. As a DIY, I love it. Took me a full weekend to prep/clean/apply. All I really do now is spray the car off. Apply Reload every so often. Going on a year and seems to be holding up great. I think it actually works/looks better on darker color cars. I have my next MS on order and can't wait to see how it looks on Blue...

Had done/tried all the waxes over the years and really like this nano-coating approach.

It's all about the prep. I did the full monty (clean, iron x, clay, Erasure, quartz, Reload). Take your time and enjoy the process if you can. I also did my wheels and its amazing how easily the dirt/grime rinses off.

We are in northern California and have very moderate weather. Little to no rain last year, so my car can easily stay very clean for a long period without washing.

I think you can get the best pricing from Autogeek (they are always running 15-20% sales)...plus just across the state for you.

6. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I have always been a DIY guy too - love to work on my cars, but OptiCoat is amazing. OC-ed my Model S and will do the same with the MX.

7. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

I appreciate everyone's comments. I understood that if I went with Opti-coat that I really shouldn't wax monthly or do anything to it. Truth to this?

I am leaning towards the Glare and/or Zaino.

- - - Updated - - -

Marty, do you have a link or website for the CQuartz? I haven't heard of that yet. Thanks, cs

8. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

9. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Yes--the Optimum folks say that wax would not adhere to the coating, so its a waste of time. Not sure about that, but you certainly to not need to wax to maintain the protection--30 months later, water till breads and sheets and I can usually simply hose my car clean.

That being said, OC does leave that slick just-waxed feel, which I do miss. I use Optimum Instant Detailer when I was my car now--it adds extra depth and does leave that slick finish. I have a blog post that goes through my wash regimen: Washing Your Model S with A Product - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

10. Jeremy Aber

Jeremy Aber Member

I use Zaino and love it. Last for years and looks great. Very easy to apply.