Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Curb Rash repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dupli-Color AFM0360 Dark Shadow... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE66OK8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Just use this and brush it on, matches paint on the 18” aero type wheels.

FEFFDA4B-B39B-41E3-8A9B-B7B0E22D9F4A.jpeg
5D450314-E3E0-4713-9338-0AE878D80868.jpeg

Of course he didn't as the wheel was pretty much ruined...

View attachment 457316
'he' is me o_O The wheel was not ruined, here's a few photos from that day. You can see that the wheelbands will protect, very well, from a typical 'curb kiss', or where you scuff the wheel when turning a corner or backing into a space. You'll also see where I literally dropped the wheel down a hard corner of concrete, the band stayed in place, but the wheel was also dinged; the video showed that the band defected the car away from the corner, so it did something, but it's not magic. That's obviously not a typical scenario, and since the rim on all factory wheels from Tesla stands proud of the tire wall, there's only so much that can be done to protect them.

'he' is me o_O The wheel was not ruined, here's a few photos from that day. You can see that the wheelbands will protect, very well, from a typical 'curb kiss', or where you scuff the wheel when turning a corner or backing into a space. You'll also see where I literally dropped the wheel down a hard corner of concrete, the band stayed in place, but the wheel was also dinged; the video showed that the band defected the car away from the corner, so it did something, but it's not magic. That's obviously not a typical scenario, and since the rim on all factory wheels from Tesla stands proud of the tire wall, there's only so much that can be done to protect them.
Ah, my bad then! From the video it looked like half of the rim was destroyed (see my screenshot). Seems the video was deceiving, however your pictures clearly show that the rims held up pretty well. Might have to invest in a set of protectors. How would they work with the 20" performance wheels?

Ah, my bad then! From the video it looked like half of the rim was destroyed (see my screenshot). Seems the video was deceiving, however your pictures clearly show that the rims held up pretty well. Might have to invest in a set of protectors. How would they work with the 20" performance wheels?
Good. There's no rim/bead on the 20", but there's plenty of space at the edge before the spokes start to run the track around the edge. It should always face outwards, not towards the sky/ground. Might sound obvious, but we've had a couple of people try to install them that way (and, in fairness, with some success, but they' won't help much!).

Here's what I did on my 20" performance wheels:

1. Sand the area smooth with 100 grit sandpaper
2. Use finer (320 then 400) grits to get it really smooth.
3. Use this to paint:
View attachment 458717
4. Let dry, polish using polishing compound. If you polish through, paint again and polish. Repeat until you're happy with the result.

View attachment 458718
View attachment 458720

That looks really good. Might have to give that combination a try. As mentioned above the color is starlight silver? Can anyone confirm that? There is a Duplicolor pen as recommended above in that color for Honda.

https://www.amazon.com/Dupli-Color-AHA0974-Metallic-Starlight-Exact-Match/dp/B00HE680G4/

So after warning the wife 100x times to be extra careful parking because the rims are prone to curb rash, she went ahead and rashed our rims right up on her second drive.

To be fair, Tesla probably deserves some of the blame for this design but... has anyone found a good DIY solution to repairing the 19” sport rims. I read that you could get some Ford touch up paint for the 18” alloys but haven’t seen any suggestions for the 19”

Trying to gauge if I should just bite the bullet and pay for a repair which I’m being quoted for $160+tax.

Any ideas

Go to a used car lot. They all have a mobile wheel guy they use for touch up. Get their name and call. $60 - $100.