Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY DAB retrofit to early Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a bit surprised to find that my 2014 Model S doesn't have a DAB radio. I thought that all European S had it, but obviously not.

Has anyone retrofitted DAB to their S, if so what do I need to buy. I can change the gw config if necessary.

Its an expensive way of doing it but upgrading the MCU and optioning the radio module for an extra £400 or so would get you DAB but a total cost of around £2k for a car worth maybe in the high 20k/low 30k might be a tough expensive.

To answer your other question, DAB came with the premium sound option until mid 2015 when it became standard fit.

I don't know how you'd source one or whether it is even a skilled DIY option (as the software would need to be enabled on your car and I know people have had the MCU2 upgrade done with the radio module and Tesla forgot to enable it), but if it was possible, then I imagine there are lots of the modules being ripped out of cars when they have the MCU2 upgrade done.

Just to follow up on this I have done the DAB retrofit. It's not too difficult but fitting the tuner is really fiddly on a right hand drive car. You have to remove the throttle pedal to get it out and swap it.
To upgrade, you need a FM/DAB Tuner 1004787-02-D and Antenna Amplifier 1004798-00-D. The wiring for the DAB aerial is already in place, just tucked out of the way. Swap the tuner (under the dash on the right bulkead), replace the antenna amplifier (in the tailgate right hand side trim) and do a reboot. DAB will appear in the radio menu. You don't even have to do a firmware redeploy.

Just to follow up on this I have done the DAB retrofit. It's not too difficult but fitting the tuner is really fiddly on a right hand drive car. You have to remove the throttle pedal to get it out and swap it.
To upgrade, you need a FM/DAB Tuner 1004787-02-D and Antenna Amplifier 1004798-00-D. The wiring for the DAB aerial is already in place, just tucked out of the way. Swap the tuner (under the dash on the right bulkead), replace the antenna amplifier (in the tailgate right hand side trim) and do a reboot. DAB will appear in the radio menu. You don't even have to do a firmware redeploy.

Though I don't require to do this modification I'm sure this will prove to be invaluable information for anyone else in the same situation. This thread is an excellent example of how the TMC forum can best be used! (Unfortunately this is no longer typical ... ;) )

Reactions: red_five