Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Dashboard Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
MY MYP has the white interior, and I get this white dashboard reflection on the driver's side window after I get my windows tinted.
So, I was looking for some options:
1. $300-$400 whole dashboard piece replacement
2. $180 Hansshow once piece cover
3. $50 Amazon two piece dashboard cover
4. Other $50 custom cut vinyl wrap from online vendors

After extensive research, I accidently found very cheap alternative on eBay.

Less than $9 I have enough material for two dashboard wrap.

IMG_1191.jpeg

I was under the impression 5 feet wasn't enough to do the piece without a split behind the screen. Looks great, thanks for sharing!

1' x 5' roll of vinyl is more than enough material for the Model 3/Y dash, with excess to cut off.

Looks great. I've done the same a few times on my Model 3 and Y, and on a few of my friends' cars.

The only thing I would recommend is using some adhesive promotor on the corners of the wood dash, so the vinyl doesn't start to come up over time. That, and use a heat gun or hairdryer to help make sure you get all of the bubbles out and it makes it easier to wrap around the corners.

Reactions: mangrove79
MY MYP has the white interior, and I get this white dashboard reflection on the driver's side window after I get my windows tinted.
So, I was looking for some options:
1. $300-$400 whole dashboard piece replacement
2. $180 Hansshow once piece cover
3. $50 Amazon two piece dashboard cover
4. Other $50 custom cut vinyl wrap from online vendors
How does it look in the car? A photo would be great.

Edit: I also have the white interior and tinted all windows, but never noticed any reflections from the dash. Will pay some attention today when I head out.

Last edited:
1' x 5' roll of vinyl is more than enough material for the Model 3/Y dash, with excess to cut off.

Looks great. I've done the same a few times on my Model 3 and Y, and on a few of my friends' cars.

The only thing I would recommend is using some adhesive promotor on the corners of the wood dash, so the vinyl doesn't start to come up over time. That, and use a heat gun or hairdryer to help make sure you get all of the bubbles out and it makes it easier to wrap around the corners.
I only used a heat gun to shrink the sharp corners to form for proper fit. If you use heat gun and know where and how to shrink the wrap, you don't need to use the adhesive/promotor at all. Also, I didn't even pay attention to any bubble forming because it is very hard to make the bubble spots with the wrap. You simply stick one end and squeegee as you peel off the backing paper until you reach the end. If you see any bubble, you simply lift that wrap and squeegee away. or just push it out with the squeegee.
It is extremely easy to apply and 1000 times easier than applying a PPF film.

Let me elaborate more.
When I first sat in a MY for the first time. I was like "WTH is that white thing on the dash?!" I know it is personal preference, but it was just too much for my taste and also the severe reflection on the driver's window after the window tint made me to pursuit this wrapping route. Cheap and looks exactly the same as $400 ones.