Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Dashcam (BlackVue 550 fron&rear) - constant power source from dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
<<
When I open up my speaker grill in my headliner, I did not find a small connector.
>>
Ran front/back coax today, drilled small hole as many have described. Thank you all.

I was planning on getting power from the obd port. But I found I have this connector behind the microphone grill.

p85D, VIN 78XXX, delivered april 2015. Small connector as pictured. Looks to me like it may say PA66? Anyone know where I can get the connector to make a short fused power cord? other suggestions?

I have this same connector on my MS built mid-July 2015 (VIN 96XXX). I took my voltmeter to it today and this doesn't appear to have a 12V supply on it. I measured about 10.1V between the black and green wire, but it was not a constant 10.1V. On AC, my meter showed about 250mV of ripple, which I can't really explain. (Maybe my 20-year-old meter is on the fritz?) The 10V was there even when I turned the car off, but because it was a non-standard voltage, I wouldn't feel comfortable running any dash cam from it. There's no telling if even that 10.1V supply would be able to provide any meaningful level of current or what might be affected if you tried.

There was about 300mV between the black and white wires, as well as between the green and white wires. I wonder what Tesla has in mind for this little plug?

Of course, I'd love for somebody to prove me wrong, as I'm hoping to wire up a BlackVue-650 over Labor Day weekend. :wink:

The 2 USB ports have always on power (it might not be the case for older models, mine is a Dec 2014). So you can charge your phones/tablets even when you are not in the vehicle. The 12V outlet is switched off when the car is off. I haven't tried this yet but since the USB is always on, there's got to be a DC-DC converter that's always on that you should be able to tap 12V from.

The 2 USB ports have always on power (it might not be the case for older models, mine is a Dec 2014). So you can charge your phones/tablets even when you are not in the vehicle. The 12V outlet is switched off when the car is off. I haven't tried this yet but since the USB is always on, there's got to be a DC-DC converter that's always on that you should be able to tap 12V from.

Or just use the OBDII port for always-on 12V power.

Is Tesla continuing to make available the "always on" 12V source in the rearview mirror area for 2014 December+ Model S vehicles all the way up to recently produced vehicles? When did they start offering the "spare" 12V source in that area?

I really hope they continue to offer the spare always on 12V source available so that dash cam installations do not require complicated methods to tap into vehicle power.

Is Tesla continuing to make available the "always on" 12V source in the rearview mirror area for 2014 December+ Model S vehicles all the way up to recently produced vehicles? When did they start offering the "spare" 12V source in that area?

I really hope they continue to offer the spare always on 12V source available so that dash cam installations do not require complicated methods to tap into vehicle power.
There is a mix of <2014 and >2016 I believe. It is apparently for a required security system in the UK. And since they make the vehicles fairly similar regardless of demographics, the 12v mic connector is a spare to the US while it isn't for the UK where its used for security (I think glass break monitor maybe)

Outstanding--great guide and good photos. Very timely as I ordered the same dual camera dash cam yesterday. I fortunately have continuous 12V power in the microphone compartment (older build) so no need for me to find 12V in the glove box.
Do you have information on what year the 12v power supply stopped being installed in the rear-view mirror console? I bought a Blackvue 590 dual and I intend to install the second camera above the rear-view mirror facing back. I'll get some coverage of someone rear ending me, but the more common target will be people in the car.

UPDATE: Apparently someone else asked the same question already. So if I can't use the auxiliary plug, I should be able to tap into the overhead light circuit.

As far as we know it still being installed in all U.S. cars. It actually is a power source for a security device used in EU, but fortunately for U.S./us, we can use it too. You should review the other threads on TMC including those for the 650 and 750. I think you will find it useful and find the corrector connector.