Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Fix: High-pitch Whine from Drive Unit(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
h
Ah, good idea. I haven't checked the parts web site for it yet, but I can't imagine that it would be a restricted item.
Part number appears to be 1070979-00-F or 1070979-00-G, depending on where the inboard end of the ground strap attaches. The -F is attached to the inverter from the side, while the -G attaches to the motor from the top. It'd be neigh impossible to change the -G version, IMHO.

Do I have the same noise here? Mine is more of an oscillating (best heard starting @ 1 min. 15 sec. in the linked video) than a high pitch whining as some have described but I do have some high pitch as well that I thought was normal. Promising info about the ground strap, but not sure if it's the same issue a year later on my 2022 M3P? If so, do I try tightening the ground strap first? Do I have to disconnect any electrical or is it safe to remove the wheel and just try tightening the ground strap without doing anyting else?

Do I have the same noise here? Mine is more of an oscillating (best heard starting @ 1 min. 15 sec. in the linked video) than a high pitch whining as some have described but I do have some high pitch as well that I thought was normal. Promising info about the ground strap, but not sure if it's the same issue a year later on my 2022 M3P? If so, do I try tightening the ground strap first? Do I have to disconnect any electrical or is it safe to remove the wheel and just try tightening the ground strap without doing anyting else?
Well, it's hard to say, based just upon the audio because of the oscillation, because I can't tell what you are doing in terms of applying the accelerator. If you aren't doing anything at all, it's definitely weird to have that oscillation.

Since they changed from a solid ground strap to a braided one, presumably that stopped most of the issues with the whine; but, if they still are only tightening to 10nm, barely finger tight, then it's possible some cars have the issue. If it's convenient, I'd take it to a SC and have them listen to the oscillation; and if they can't help you, then I'd troubleshoot it yourself, by trying tightening the nut. I mean, it takes no more than 20mins tops, unless the nut has moved to a new spot, and no, you don't need to disconnect anything, but it's never a bad idea to shutdown and disconnect it for total safety.

Thanks @KenC. Some more detail in my Reddit post here about what two different techs from Tesla SC said, in summary "within normal range", and what's also interesting in the Reddit post is that other commenters think it's heat pump related (even if I'm not using the heat as apparently it runs all the time which I didn't know). I'll definitely give the tightening of the ground strap a shot since it can't hurt. Will report back here if I find a resolution that could help others, and would be great to hear from anyone else on whether their Tesla with heat pump causes this sound.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Does anyone knows where EXACTLY the REAR GROUND STRAP strap on Model S 85D (2015) is located? Can't find it.
Take a look at this spot...
I'm not sure if that's a 2015 85D, but the ground strap can be seen at the top of the video(the right rear of the drive unit, near the top. It looks like it might be a challenge to get to without lowering the drive unit a bit.

Take a look at this spot...
I'm not sure if that's a 2015 85D, but the ground strap can be seen at the top of the video(the right rear of the drive unit, near the top. It looks like it might be a challenge to get to without lowering the drive unit a bit.
Thanks for trying to help buddy!!! Unfortunately i discovered that this one in the video is a 2013 model. They changed the rear ground strap place in the 2015 for model S.

If anyone knows where it it please reply ....

So, I wanted to re-try tightening the rear ground strap. And guess what, it worked! I no longer have any whine! Thanks to @camalaio for trying this and posting it.

Just to recap, I had a whine from 38mph to 52mph, with two peaks at 38 and 48mph. I wanted to try tightening the rear strap first, then the front strap later, to see if I could help ID where the whine was coming from.

I removed the one end, the easily reachable one, from the rear braided ground strap. Takes no time at all after removing the rear driver-side tire. Cleaned it, and retightened. My whine improved, as the range was smaller, 41mph to 45mph, and now only a single peak around 42mph.

After a few weeks, I did the front, but the front solid ground strap was hard to reach, and so I only tightened it. The sound had no change. Interesting that it was the rear braided strap and not the front solid strap that made some difference.

Now, with the weather cold, I wasn't too interested in re-doing the rear strap, but today, the temps warmed up, and so I redid the rear strap, MUCH tighter and gave it a squirt of anti-corrosion spray for good measure. And guess what? The whine is completely gone! So, happy that this simple fix worked. Honestly, now that I've done it, I think it might only take 15mins. Lift your rear driver side tire, remove it, the strap nut is easily reachable, remove that, clean it, reattach MUCH tighter, and put the wheel back on. Honestly, it's little more than changing a tire. 15 to 20mins.

Thank you, camalaio!

I'm just annoyed I didn't fix this correctly the first time, but I read that TSB where it sounded like you shouldn't over tighten the nut. The steps first had you "hand-tighten" the nut. Then you tightened it to 10NM, which is not that tight. In the end, I tightened it considerably more tight. Maybe that's why some of us have the whine, 10NM is not tight enough?
Hello,
I know this is an olde thread however I have the same issue
I have booked a service appointment with this and some other things but if I can fix this myself I gonna try
One question, when removing and cleaning the bolt/thread doI need to shutdown the car or can I just jack the car up and do the cleaning ?
Thanks

Hello,
I know this is an olde thread however I have the same issue
I have booked a service appointment with this and some other things but if I can fix this myself I gonna try
One question, when removing and cleaning the bolt/thread doI need to shutdown the car or can I just jack the car up and do the cleaning ?
Thanks
You can just jack it up and do the cleaning.