Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY front mud/splash guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
After reading through this thread, and observing that the shape of Model 3's side and rocker panel is prone to catching debris kicked up from the front tires, I decided to make mud/splash guards, since there is nothing available as a bolt on kit (except the over-priced carbon fiber pieces).

I used RallySport's "Basic Universal" mud guard kit. The guards are attached using the existing lower holes (with longer BelMetric Tesla clips), although you have to drill a hole in the plastic wheel-well liner for the upper clip. All in for about $30 :)

IMG_1097.jpg
IMG_1096.jpg

After reading through this thread, and observing that the shape of Model 3's side and rocker panel is prone to catching debris kicked up from the front tires, I decided to make mud/splash guards, since there is nothing available as a bolt on kit (except the over-priced carbon fiber pieces).

I used RallySport's "Basic Universal" mud guard kit. The guards are attached using the existing lower holes (with longer BelMetric Tesla clips), although you have to drill a hole in the plastic wheel-well liner for the upper clip. All in for about $30 :)

View attachment 418845 View attachment 418846
Very nicely done. I'm going to do this as well, dont want to take any chances. Is that rivet the same size as the rest of the wheel liner rivets? I noticed I'm missing the 3 around the rear strut tower on both sides.

Very nicely done. I'm going to do this as well, dont want to take any chances. Is that rivet the same size as the rest of the wheel liner rivets? I noticed I'm missing the 3 around the rear strut tower on both sides.

Yes, the panel clip for the drilled hole is a repurposed clip that was used to fasten the wheel liner to the rocker panel (the ones that were replaced with longer clips to fasten the mud guard).

And I also had the 3 missing clips around the rear strut tower. Those have all been appropriately replaced.

Looks great, both jobs. I got the carbon fiber ones from protectmytesla.com and the one thing I wish they had done was to lengthen them under the rockers by 1". Their's are flush to the bottom. The side protection is fine. The grit that gets past is coming from the bottom. I notice that both of you cut your flaps 1" to 2" longer, much more similar to what that Quebec shop sells. More complete grit protection.

Looks great, both jobs. I got the carbon fiber ones from protectmytesla.com and the one thing I wish they had done was to lengthen them under the rockers by 1". Their's are flush to the bottom. The side protection is fine. The grit that gets past is coming from the bottom. I notice that both of you cut your flaps 1" to 2" longer, much more similar to what that Quebec shop sells. More complete grit protection.

Thanks. In addition to cost, the shape of the carbon fiber ones was another reason I passed on them. They didn’t appear to offer enough protection.

Reactions: KenC