Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Home EVSE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wimpy 30 amp charger! It would take about 18 hours to charge an empty Model S battery! Fine for a leaf however.

I'm installing a Clipper Creek LCS-25 20A EVSE soon, for my incoming Leaf. If I upgrade to the Model S or X later, I will keep the LCS-25. 4.6kW is all I can spare without trouble arising somewhere, and I do not foresee having to charge a empty Model S to full overnight.

But 30A*240V is 7.2kW and that should charge a 90kWh battery in 13 hours, enough for most people I'd guess. 90kW in 18 hours is around 20A at 240V.

I think you could build your own for under $500... (But what is all the labor worth?, and you won't have a well tested, certified product...)
Why? My DIY 70 Amp HPC has lots of cool features you can't buy... and I add more every week! I spent barely over $400 complete with Roadster plug and 100 Amp contactor. Don't ask me how many hours I have spent...

My problem is going to find that blasted high amp GFCI. Trying electrical supply house tomorrow.

I was unable to find mine at "regular" hardware and home improvement stores. After many fruitless trips to local stores, I gave up and ordered from this place:
GFCI, High Current, Donut
I suspect that a well stocked local spa and hot tub store should have it in stock...

I always think of Mad Magazine.
rickard_mad760oct.jpg