Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I have to pay for MyQ, ill be doing this.
Just did the trial for MyQ Tesla garage opener integration, on Holiday Update 2022.44.25.1.
There is a lag/delay in closing the door when I outside to leave.
It maybe because of the poor LTE/5G and Wi-Fi connection at my location - the one downside to internet connection vs RF. MyQ also beeps (rather loudly) before and while closing the garage door.

Reactions: Park2670
I just did this retrofit on my Model Y. I got the module from the For Sale forum here.

It was easy as pie. I ended up using a zip tie to secure the mounting bracket in lieu of the funky star shaped bolt that came with it.

1671112567609.jpeg

1671112586589.jpeg

I also realize the irony that I spent the same amount of money for the hardware. BUT, at least I will be able to use this indefinitely.
You also had a known fixed cost. With this new subscription, who knows? Will it go up over time because of inflation and other costs? Historically, nearly every subscription service does this, so I would expect this service to do the same. It could also go down if there is too much backlash, or have periodic sales to spur new subscriptions much like Hulu, etc, do each year at Black Friday to entice new customers. They could be a-holes and go the Cable TV route - making long-term customers ineligible for promotions, but giving much better deals to new customers. And of course a second major company/service putting up serious competition could also dramatically change the price.

Paying for HomeLink once and being done with it just avoids all of that. Worth it IMHO.

You also had a known fixed cost. With this new subscription, who knows? Will it go up over time because of inflation and other costs? Historically, nearly every subscription service does this, so I would expect this service to do the same. It could also go down if there is too much backlash, or have periodic sales to spur new subscriptions much like Hulu, etc, do each year at Black Friday to entice new customers. They could be a-holes and go the Cable TV route - making long-term customers ineligible for promotions, but giving much better deals to new customers. And of course a second major company/service putting up serious competition could also dramatically change the price.

Paying for HomeLink once and being done with it just avoids all of that. Worth it IMHO.
I agree, plus you can get modules on ebay for much cheaper and install yourself.

I have Homelink installed (via Tesla mobile service tech) in my 2020 Model 3 and it works great.

Last night, I ordered a new Model 3, and would like to transfer my old unit to the new car. How tough is the actual removal/re-installation? I'm fairly handy, have plenty of tools.

I guess I'm just looking for a good set of DIY instructions and a relative difficulty level. I seem to remember when my unit was original installed, tech had to remove the front bumper cover, which seems like pain.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I have Homelink installed (via Tesla mobile service tech) in my 2020 Model 3 and it works great.

Last night, I ordered a new Model 3, and would like to transfer my old unit to the new car. How tough is the actual removal/re-installation? I'm fairly handy, have plenty of tools.

I guess I'm just looking for a good set of DIY instructions and a relative difficulty level. I seem to remember when my unit was original installed, tech had to remove the front bumper cover, which seems like pain.
I've removed HL module from my 2018 Model 3 - removing the bumper fascia is PITA, otherwise reinstall is easy - because I installed the module within the frunk and not out in front of the crash beam.
I recommend looking at the bumper fascia removal/install guide in from the Service Manual: Tesla SSO - Sign In

I've removed HL module from my 2018 Model 3 - removing the bumper fascia is PITA, otherwise reinstall is easy - because I installed the module within the frunk and not out in front of the crash beam.
I recommend looking at the bumper fascia removal/install guide in from the Service Manual: Tesla SSO - Sign In
Oof. Was hoping I didn't have to remove the bumper fascia.

I do have access to the service manual via that link. I think these are the relevant instructions? https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...tml#GUID-7A57FF6F-1E44-4F2F-BB2A-7180C7182DFA

I see people installing them under the front liner, but it's unclear to me that the required wiring harness is easily accessible, if I put it in there.

Oof. Was hoping I didn't have to remove the bumper fascia.

I do have access to the service manual via that link. I think these are the relevant instructions? https://service.tesla.com/docs/Mode...tml#GUID-7A57FF6F-1E44-4F2F-BB2A-7180C7182DFA

I see people installing them under the front liner, but it's unclear to me that the required wiring harness is easily accessible, if I put it in there.
Yes that's it and this specifically:

The HL harness/plug is tucked next to the hood latch module under the frunk.

Attachments

• 20221211_141026.jpg
    20221211_141026.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 375
Yes that's it and this specifically:

The HL harness/plug is tucked next to the hood latch module under the frunk.
Terrific info for this thread.

I'm still a bit intimidated ha. Well I guess I'll see if I actually get my car delivered before Dec 31 (else I'll keep my current one), then I'll make a final decision regarding DIY. It's a shame to let the module go back with my trade-in, and I'd even pay someone ($100?) to swap out if they were local to Dallas.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
I just did this on a 2019 Model 3 LR. I was able to remove the frunk tub and get to the harness without taking off the fascia. Pulling the cap off the harness was more complicated than I would have guessed, you have to pull the tab back, then push down. I just used a zip tie to go through the bolt hole and around the neck of the connector of the module to attach it. I didn't get the bracket, just the unit.

The software for me was more of a challenge. I was running 2022.36.20, service mode had no options for Homelink, even after several power downs and reboots. Fortunately 2022.44.25.5 was waiting, so I installed that, and the homelink gateway was available in service mode. I ran the gateway, it rebooted, and the hardware showed in the "additional vehicle information", but no homelink, just the MyQ option.

I went back into service mode and was able to test the Homelink now, it passed, I did another power down, and then it finally showed in the new "home button", and I can now see setup MyQ and a setup Homelink. Everything seems to be working now, but I wanted to share my experience, because service mode on the older software didn't have a homelink option.

I bought my Homelink on ebay.

@turns2stone I would just try and take the frunk tub out. You say you're handy and have the tools, just give it a shot. I think it took me 15 minutes in my below freezing garage. It's 6 bolts (all the same size, none very tight) and four plastic panels, any frunk removal video on youtube should be enough. Even for the wrong year, this video was perfect for me.
I have 0 clue why the Tesla service docs specify removing the fascia, they said that for mine, and it's just ridiculous.