Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DiY HomeLink Install using in car Service Mode - No need for Tesla Service or ToolBox

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So am I taking crazy pills? Or did they update recently to allow you to have both MyQ and HomeLink options? I thought from reading, you get one or the other? If so then makes sense to put the icon option under the same garage icon but dang kicking myself for not poking around more and thinking it through. If they did update it, I really hope others find this and can simply move onto enjoying their HomeLink installed while saving money (and not panic thinking they got a bad part or something).

well mine was sent to the Tesla delivery center for my 23 M3. I set the mobile appointment. I am sure I can install it myself but I do not even have it.
Unless you can save some money or already have it for previous car why go through the trouble. I love DIY stuff for my cars but I save nothing let Tesla do it. :)

Well, great. I could have saved a couple hundred if I saw this forum topic before I set the appointment.

Would have looked over the interwebs and bought one. Instead, the car is in the service center getting some delivery issues addressed and getting the HL installed. Purchased it from my shop, so it cost $350, could have saved $150 or more maybe.

I did have to remove and loosen the 3 bolts on each side of the upper bumper cover. I spent about 10 minutes just trying to carefully pull the cover further and further trying to make more room for my hands, but it was to no avail. As soon as I freed the corners, the top of the cover pulled off and gave me plenty of room to work with.

Tip: you only need to remove the rear most bolt of the 3 and loosen the other 2. The cover has tabs that slide underneath the front 2 bolts. I learned this watching a British gent who made a detailed youtube video showing how to remove the bumper. Thank you!
Can you show pic of which bolts you are referring to?

Not without pulling my wheel well apart. When you free the wheel well liner you will see the three bolts. The bolt you need to remove is closest to the wheel well opening. The other two are closer to the front of the car. Turn the wheel to give yourself more room to work with.

Not without pulling my wheel well apart. When you free the wheel well liner you will see the three bolts. The bolt you need to remove is closest to the wheel well opening. The other two are closer to the front of the car. Turn the wheel to give yourself more room to work with.
You were right, though it still was a terribly tight squeeze getting in there. Thanks for the info.

I just bought a used one from eBay same model (1114984-00-B) for my 2023 Model Y LR picked up on December 2022. Installed seems fine and I'm able to added it on my car, however I noticed the right headlight is ON when the Homelink module is plugged in. Left headlight is off and whatever I try to do it's still not On. So I unplug the module and both headlights are ok. I try to setup the homelink but somehow I can't get pass the screen where you holding down the remote and link to the car. I'm on the latest software version 2023.12.5. I'm not sure what's going on, i checked the Service Alerts and got these:

VCFront_a096_OCS1P_MIA
VCRight_a238_lumbarValveMIA
EPBR_a096_OCS1P_MIA

Does anyone know what's happened?

I just bought a used one from eBay same model (1114984-00-B) for my 2023 Model Y LR picked up on December 2022. Installed seems fine and I'm able to added it on my car, however I noticed the right headlight is ON when the Homelink module is plugged in. Left headlight is off and whatever I try to do it's still not On. So I unplug the module and both headlights are ok. I try to setup the homelink but somehow I can't get pass the screen where you holding down the remote and link to the car. I'm on the latest software version 2023.12.5. I'm not sure what's going on, i checked the Service Alerts and got these:

VCFront_a096_OCS1P_MIA
VCRight_a238_lumbarValveMIA
EPBR_a096_OCS1P_MIA

Does anyone know what's happened?
First - have you Rebooted and/or done Power-Down Cycle?

Reactions: irobot2090
If you're crafty with wiring you could maybe rig up a switch that lets you choose between the headlight and the garage opener as needed.

1683696702065.png

Just did this retrofit on our 2023 Model Y and made a YouTube video that's hopefully helpful for everyone: 10 minute DIY Tesla Model Y HomeLink Retrofit (Model 3 too! Save $$$!)

We were able to order parts from our local service center without issue, total was ~$230 USD before tax; it took them ~2 days to get the parts in.
Mine is 2023 Model Y LR picked up in Dec 2022 but it's not working right, my Right headlight turn on when I plugged in the HL module. Everything else seems fine but won't let me setup, stop at where you hold the remove in front of the bumper to setup. It's just stop there. Not sure what's going on here.

Here to confirm this DiY HomeLink install via in-car Service Mode still works using module part number: 1114984-00-B onto 5/23 Fremont built MYP.

Of note, had to do the power down cycle then the HL icon/set up appeared. It did not do that with just rebooting.

Attachments

• 20230519_160259.jpg
    20230519_160259.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 20230519_184513.jpg
    20230519_184513.jpg
    553.7 KB · Views: 110
  • 20230519_154154.jpg
    20230519_154154.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 108