Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY: Improving the coat hooks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting a new company is hard, especially a car company. Sometimes little insignificant details like coat hangers need to be entrusted to summer interns. Unfortunately, the intern who designed the Model 3 coat hooks was high off his freakin' ass.

I didn't quite know how to fix this. Ideally I'd take them out and get them on the workbench for closer evaluation but there's just no way - the whole headliner would have to come out. So I figured they're probably glass-filled nylon which should thermoform somewhat easily. I placed a bunch of heat shielding around the area and used the small nozzle of a hot air soldering reflow system to carefully heat just the hook. That didn't really work and mostly just pissed me off, so I got out the Dremel...

As it turns out, it's super easy to just slice off the tip of the hook with a Dremel wheel and then deburr with a scrap of 100-200 grit paper. The abrasive wheel cut cleanly and effortlessly thru the hook and there's no way you'd ever know by sight or feel that it had been altered. It looks and feels perfectly factory, except now the coat hook works!

Time: 5 minutes
Difficulty: 2/10
Tools needed: Fearlessness
Tip: Use both hands on the Dremel with at least one (clean) hand also on the headliner to guarantee stability

Before:
Coathanger 00.jpg

Slicey-slicey:

1658714182013.png

And now with 5 hangers:

1658714257756.png

1658714279872.png