Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Installing CCS Retrofit in My US 2017 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well after reading about all the troubles people have had doing this issue I gave up on a DIY solution. Scheduled an appt. to have a Tesla Ranger (I'm not using the wrong word, the guy has worked there for 6 years) come and install the updated HW.

I didn't need the adapter, as I have one in my Model 3 and I can only drive one car at a time, so the price of $500 is pretty steep for me. I justified it as I don't know anyone with Tesla Toolkit access so I would need a cable of my own and probably a month subscription to the service to make the change to get my MX to recognize the new ECU based on what I have read here.

The Tesla Tech showed up and the FIRST thing he asked was do I *really* want to do this upgrade, gave me one last chance to DIY it, but I thought it was over my head, but he hadn't done enough of these to remember how and had to go step by step thru the service manual telling me not to look as each page was listed as CONFIDENTIAL. I felt like I knew the process better than he and I had never done it, but then he got the to the stage I was waiting for, connect my car to his computer. But instead he just put it in Service Mode and hit the 'CCS Install' button.

DMANIT, I coulda done that and saved myself $400!!

Well after reading about all the troubles people have had doing this issue I gave up on a DIY solution. Scheduled an appt. to have a Tesla Ranger (I'm not using the wrong word, the guy has worked there for 6 years) come and install the updated HW.

I didn't need the adapter, as I have one in my Model 3 and I can only drive one car at a time, so the price of $500 is pretty steep for me. I justified it as I don't know anyone with Tesla Toolkit access so I would need a cable of my own and probably a month subscription to the service to make the change to get my MX to recognize the new ECU based on what I have read here.

The Tesla Tech showed up and the FIRST thing he asked was do I *really* want to do this upgrade, gave me one last chance to DIY it, but I thought it was over my head, but he hadn't done enough of these to remember how and had to go step by step thru the service manual telling me not to look as each page was listed as CONFIDENTIAL. I felt like I knew the process better than he and I had never done it, but then he got the to the stage I was waiting for, connect my car to his computer. But instead he just put it in Service Mode and hit the 'CCS Install' button.

DMANIT, I coulda done that and saved myself $400!!
So you bought the vehicle parts installed it your self and just used the tech for the software side?

Nope, I scheduled an appt. to have a Tesla Tech come and install it, didn't buy the HW separately, but if I'd known how easy an install it was I would have.
Did they give you the part numbers on your invoice. I would love to just install the hardware and activate it thru the service menu just so it ready. Dint really need to purchase the adapter at this time

It all comes in a kit with the CCS adapter even. That's the invoice part number. I didn't see a part number on the cable he installed, but I think you can make out the ECU in this pic:

568777B8-ACE7-4A9D-B534-1ABC8796A6B1_1_105_c.jpeg

Looks like P1495114-00-C