Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY LTE Upgrade?

random155

Mar 18, 2019
NJ
Has anyone done the LTE upgrade on their own? I'm still on 3G and I'm curious about upgrading to LTE, but $500 for a sim card replacement seems a bit high for the job.

Ostrichsak

Sep 6, 2018
Colorado, USA
1) it's not a simple SIM card replacement. It requires removing your MCU, disassembling your MCU and changing out an actual board component that happens to contain a new 4g/LTE SIM card to function.

2) I've seen some on forums more recently say they were charged under $400 (I think I was reading $370 in a couple of posts) by their local service center to do the upgrade including parts and labor. YMMV

REckard

Nov 20, 2018
Atlanta, GA
According to epic, SIM card is a restricted Tesla part. Also you would have to change out the antenna wire to the driver mirror. Not trivial. And I don’t know if there is a Toolbox setting that needs to be set as well.

random155

Mar 18, 2019
NJ
FWIW - Tesla replaced mine with a MCU replacement. I don’t notice much difference over 4.5 years of having 3G. Just wait until your MCU dies and do it then, if you really want it. ;)
Thats exactly what I have been thinking. I know at some point it will go kuput, so is it worth the $500 now? I don't think so either... I just hope it dies within the next year so it's covered under warranty.

REckard

Nov 20, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I replace mine before the eMMC issue was known and spent the $500 for Tesla to install it. Last Friday, my MCU went kuput and now I'm getting the upgrade again. I told Tesla I want the LTE board (and presumably) the SIM card (fingers crossed) from the old unit since I paid for them. I'll let you know what big brother T does when I get my car back later. On a brighter note, I was given a Model X to play with over the weekend ... the kids really dig the falcon doors, but I digress.

random155

Mar 18, 2019
NJ
I replace mine before the eMMC issue was known and spent the $500 for Tesla to install it. Last Friday, my MCU went kuput and now I'm getting the upgrade again. I told Tesla I want the LTE board (and presumably) the SIM card (fingers crossed) from the old unit since I paid for them. I'll let you know what big brother T does when I get my car back later. On a brighter note, I was given a Model X to play with over the weekend ... the kids really dig the falcon doors, but I digress.
Exactly why Im waiting for my warranty to expire before I pull the trigger on this upgrade.

Plasmid_Boy

Feb 13, 2020
Indiana
Just to confirm that the SIM card still can be purchased from the SC. I recently bought 2 LTE boards along with 2 SIMs.
During disassembly, I accidentally ripped a ribbon cable right off of the back of the screen.
Luckily the damage was repairable. The map loads faster than before for me and I feel that it is worth $96.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 10.37.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 10.37.23 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 168
  • Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC