Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY LTE Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) it's not a simple SIM card replacement. It requires removing your MCU, disassembling your MCU and changing out an actual board component that happens to contain a new 4g/LTE SIM card to function.

2) I've seen some on forums more recently say they were charged under $400 (I think I was reading $370 in a couple of posts) by their local service center to do the upgrade including parts and labor. YMMV

FWIW - Tesla replaced mine with a MCU replacement. I don’t notice much difference over 4.5 years of having 3G. Just wait until your MCU dies and do it then, if you really want it. ;)
Thats exactly what I have been thinking. I know at some point it will go kuput, so is it worth the $500 now? I don't think so either... I just hope it dies within the next year so it's covered under warranty.

I replace mine before the eMMC issue was known and spent the $500 for Tesla to install it. Last Friday, my MCU went kuput and now I'm getting the upgrade again. I told Tesla I want the LTE board (and presumably) the SIM card (fingers crossed) from the old unit since I paid for them. I'll let you know what big brother T does when I get my car back later. On a brighter note, I was given a Model X to play with over the weekend ... the kids really dig the falcon doors, but I digress.

I replace mine before the eMMC issue was known and spent the $500 for Tesla to install it. Last Friday, my MCU went kuput and now I'm getting the upgrade again. I told Tesla I want the LTE board (and presumably) the SIM card (fingers crossed) from the old unit since I paid for them. I'll let you know what big brother T does when I get my car back later. On a brighter note, I was given a Model X to play with over the weekend ... the kids really dig the falcon doors, but I digress.
Exactly why Im waiting for my warranty to expire before I pull the trigger on this upgrade.

Just to confirm that the SIM card still can be purchased from the SC. I recently bought 2 LTE boards along with 2 SIMs.
During disassembly, I accidentally ripped a ribbon cable right off of the back of the screen.
Luckily the damage was repairable. The map loads faster than before for me and I feel that it is worth $96.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 10.37.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-24 at 10.37.23 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 370
  • Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.