Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY magnetic front license plate holder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was researching options for a temporary front plate holder. I came across the usual SnapPlate, QuickBandit, and OttoSteer. Pretty solid options, but none of these are cheap and they all require attaching a frame to the grill.

I was thinking to implement a more elegant solution, using very strong magnets on the back of the standdard MY plate holder, then adhering corresponding metallic disks to the inside surface of the front bumper. I have not found anyone who has tried this, and I feel like it would be great simple solution, especially for showing temporary front plates when needed.

My only concern is, how hard is it to access the inside surface of the bumper to place the metal plates. Any other concerns I missed? Any advice for accessing the front bumper? I've attached a diagram to show approximately where the metallic plates would go. Also, if you live near MA, would be happy to collaborate on this!

Slice.png

I was researching options for a temporary front plate holder. I came across the usual SnapPlate, QuickBandit, and OttoSteer. Pretty solid options, but none of these are cheap and they all require attaching a frame to the grill.

I was thinking to implement a more elegant solution, using very strong magnets on the back of the standdard MY plate holder, then adhering corresponding metallic disks to the inside surface of the front bumper. I have not found anyone who has tried this, and I feel like it would be great simple solution, especially for showing temporary front plates when needed.

My only concern is, how hard is it to access the inside surface of the bumper to place the metal plates. Any other concerns I missed? Any advice for accessing the front bumper? I've attached a diagram to show approximately where the metallic plates would go. Also, if you live near MA, would be happy to collaborate on this!

View attachment 868470
Accessing the inside is fairly easy - after removing the HEPA filter and frunk tub.

See this video I uploaded in YT of my 2020 MYP with radar. Shown is the space behind the plastic bumper - this is with radar and US sensors.

Maybe easier to have magnetic strip vs metal plates so to have a bigger area to attach the magnet of the plate holder.

YT video link:

@RoBoRaT thank you for the video, super helpful. I may give this a try. Do you think the front bumper would have to come off too? Or would I be able to reach back there to attach the magnets?
The opening is big enough but maybe the center where you need to attach the magnet is too far to be reachable by an arm, BUT just maybe, enough to be reached if by skinny arms.

Certainly try that first before detaching the bumper fascia.

Reactions: terraform