Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Maintenance. How much do we know?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I shared an unpopular article in another thread, I began to contemplate performing my own maintenance. I won't be doing alignments, but many shops can do that. I am more interested in the fluid changes (drive unit and battery coolant) and desiccant replacement. Unlike other vehicles, solid how-to information on the web isn't ubiquitous. I was searching for how to do these on the model S and did not find much. I don't believe tesla publishes anything to help a DIY'r out. The next problem is that for the model 3, details obviously even more non-existent. Couple this with my semi early delivery (as early as November) and the fact that I drive a lot and I am kind of in a tough spot trying to figure out how to do any of this work. I'm used to standing on the shoulders of those before me for this. I suspect my first drive unit fluid change will be done by tesla because of this. Do you see this changing? Do you think with the high volume of model 3 sales that we will see more information on this front?

Reactions: DavidP and TimM.
I don't get my current vehicles serviced by a dealer and have yet to see a reason to use Tesla's service centre, especially granted the requirements for an EV should be far less. But I'm open to being convinced otherwise, as we used to get our Hondas serviced by a dealer locally who did an outstanding job that I've not seen matched with our more recent purchases.

In this country a manufacturer cannot void a warranty so long as you maintain it per the book. YMMV as I don't know the rules in your part of the world.

Many people here have access to the service manuals for the current cars. From what I have seen, the service of the fluids and desiccant bag is not much different than any other modern car. You technically need the Tesla workbench tools to activate the pumps for the coolant but there are ways to bypass that by directly powering the pumps externally.

I know that I am not mechanically inclined and can't even change my own wiper blades, lol. Tried once and one become detached from the wiper in a rain storm.

This is probably why I've only ever owned Hondas and Acuras, and always have the dealer perform any service (including blade installation).

Seems like the 12V might be DIY. Wonder if the 12V battery can be purchased outside of Tesla.
True, but I personally treat
Many people here have access to the service manuals for the current cars. From what I have seen, the service of the fluids and desiccant bag is not much different than any other modern car. You technically need the Tesla workbench tools to activate the pumps for the coolant but there are ways to bypass would that by directly powering the pumps externally.
I would love to see the service manuals for these items. That would help me gauge my comfort level.

Many people here have access to the service manuals for the current cars. From what I have seen, the service of the fluids and desiccant bag is not much different than any other modern car. You technically need the Tesla workbench tools to activate the pumps for the coolant but there are ways to bypass that by directly powering the pumps externally.
I perform partial coolant exchanges every year in our Prius so that air does not enter into the system and I don't have to mess with the pumps. This takes all of 3 minutes, once a year.

Reactions: internalaudit
I don't get my current vehicles serviced by a dealer and have yet to see a reason to use Tesla's service centre, especially granted the requirements for an EV should be far less. But I'm open to being convinced otherwise, as we used to get our Hondas serviced by a dealer locally who did an outstanding job that I've not seen matched with our more recent purchases.

In this country a manufacturer cannot void a warranty so long as you maintain it per the book. YMMV as I don't know the rules in your part of the world.

How do you prove you maintained it per book though? The only way to evidenced that is by videotaping the procedure? Invoices or parts and material can be photo-shopped.

Of course for cabin filters and what not, those won't really affect the car or lead to any damages and invoices would be sufficient. But for the DU and battery, I would think Tesla would fight tooth and nail if damages subsequent result after DIY was performed.

$800/year is not cheap but a $40k car isn't either, especially under warranty.

I know that I am not mechanically inclined and can't even change my own wiper blades, lol. Tried once and one become detached from the wiper in a rain storm.

This is probably why I've only ever owned Hondas and Acuras, and always have the dealer perform any service (including blade installation).
I'm guessing this thread isn't for you.
(No offense) :)

Wipers are exceptionally easy, and I'm not all that mechanically inclined. That said, if the dealer charges you for changing them, just go to any auto parts store. The workers will install them for free because it literally takes seconds. Like about 2-3 seconds per blade, if not less. Air filters are just as easy, although they might hit a minute because some cars have a few latches to undo first.

One advantage of going to the manufacturer for service in this case is that I've heard, repeatedly, how Tesla goes over the car and services, replaces, and fixes things that are not on the service schedule that they either find need servicing or that they suspect may, at some point, need servicing. That is something you will not be able to get from third party servicing.

One advantage of going to the manufacturer for service in this case is that I've heard, repeatedly, how Tesla goes over the car and services, replaces, and fixes things that are not on the service schedule that they either find need servicing or that they suspect may, at some point, need servicing. That is something you will not be able to get from third party servicing.

That's a good point. One must wonder if that kind of white glove service will continue once there are hundreds of thousands of cars being serviced on a semi-annual basis.

I haven't found any information of current Tesla owners doing the maintenance themselves but I would assume that it should be as difficult or easy as on current vehicles with similar systems.

First of all if somebody is going to perform maintenance on an High Voltage System they must have the training and equipment required for this kind of job and be aware of the consequences of doing so.

1 HVAC dessicant:
This one is easy and you can find plenty of videos of people changing them on their cars, obviously it's going to be a little different on a Tesla but here is an example. www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLF8U6aW17I

2 Battery coolant:
For this one I would disconnect both the 12V battery and High Voltage Power before replacing the coolant. that procedure can be found on one model 3 owners club thread Safety manual spied in open glovebox...

Now to change the Fluid you will need a coolant that is 50 % glycol and blue in colour and open the high voltage enclosure or also as known as the "penthouse" (you can see where to open it on the previous link).

At last once opened you can have access to the 2 coolant lines to the PCS and in there you should be able to do the battery coolant replacement (see the bottom of the article Tesla Model 3: Exclusive first look at Tesla’s new battery pack architecture)

3 Drive unit fluid:
I couldn't find information on here unless Brian Vicars is refering to it on this thread So what fluids are actually in a Model S? | Tesla (Also on the same link you can find info regarding the battery coolant)

I haven't found any information of current Tesla owners doing the maintenance themselves but I would assume that it should be as difficult or easy as on current vehicles with similar systems.

First of all if somebody is going to perform maintenance on an High Voltage System they must have the training and equipment required for this kind of job and be aware of the consequences of doing so.

1 HVAC dessicant:
This one is easy and you can find plenty of videos of people changing them on their cars, obviously it's going to be a little different on a Tesla but here is an example. www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLF8U6aW17I

2 Battery coolant:
For this one I would disconnect both the 12V battery and High Voltage Power before replacing the coolant. that procedure can be found on one model 3 owners club thread Safety manual spied in open glovebox...

Now to change the Fluid you will need a coolant that is 50 % glycol and blue in colour and open the high voltage enclosure or also as known as the "penthouse" (you can see where to open it on the previous link).

At last once opened you can have access to the 2 coolant lines to the PCS and in there you should be able to do the battery coolant replacement (see the bottom of the article Tesla Model 3: Exclusive first look at Tesla’s new battery pack architecture)

3 Drive unit fluid:
I couldn't find information on here unless Brian Vicars is refering to it on this thread So what fluids are actually in a Model S? | Tesla (Also on the same link you can find info regarding the battery coolant)
The coolant used in the Model S and X is G-48 and is commonly available at any parts store. The front and rear axles in most cars use Dextron 6 ATF (early front axles use Mobil SHC 629)