TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BigTonyTones, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Maranaz

Maranaz Member

Has anyone tested whether cutting this wire works !

2. miken79

miken79 Member

I had a scare this morning with mine. I hit the trunk button before I got out of the car and the trunk failed to open. So I hit the release button on the outside and could see it trying to open the trunk by flexing it but it still failed to open. Really need that resistance sensor to stop that from happening, really not thrilled to be missing it! After that I was able to pull the trunk open and close it myself and the lift started working again. At least it was a good day to do that, I needed a shot of fear to wake me up completely today.

3. Discidium

Discidium Member

I mounted the kit from Cozero this weekend, I can confirm that cutting the wire works.
    Have video, but to big to upload. :/

• Informative x 1
  4. Discidium

Discidium Member

Forgot all about YouTube:

5. miken79

miken79 Member

Wow, your trunk looks like it opens a lot bigger than mine.

6. Powerflux

Powerflux Member

Your trunk shuts really gently and smooth:)
    Mine on the other hand slams shut pretty hard and I haven`t been able to find a solution for that:(
    Did it work like this out of the box or have you tweaked it to operate like this?

7. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Sounds like you have the first version which uses gravity to close. The V2 kit comes with a motor to pull the trunk closed.

8. Powerflux

Powerflux Member

I do have the V1! So much for being an early adopter.....the hard slamming is beginning to bug me a bit. Especially when one of the doors are open, then it comes down like a ton of bricks :(

9. PatrickCP

PatrickCP Member

I need to find someone in Denver to do this as after my loaner car which has it, it is hard to going back to my hands but while I’ve always been a do it your self kind of guy on all of my previous cars I tend to stay away from the Tesla and I’m running out of recreational time.

10. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I thought about trying to find someone in the Los Angeles to do mine, as I'm pretty low on free time for DIY projects right now (but I want this upgrade after having a loaner with the power liftgate, it's a shame Tesla won't let us pay them to do a retrofit now that it's standard across the S/X).

11. Discidium

Discidium Member

It is the version 2 with soft lock, you replace the latch with one that has a motor to pull it.

12. Discidium

Discidium Member

Did you ever manage to get the button to light up? Just mounted the OEM button, no light.

13. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Nope, wondering if it just doesn't have the correct voltage or something? The button that comes with the kit lights up. If the OEM button is operating the trunk I'd image the wiring is correct. Would have to figure out what voltage the OEM button is expecting and test the output of the wire. Might be able to be rigged with a relay or something.

14. Discidium

Discidium Member

Ok, was thinking if the power could be taken from the trunk light, if it is 12 volt. The light is kind of handy during the dark vintner months here in Denmark.

15. hungyip84

hungyip84 Member

Some update here. The resistance sensor bug is fixed. New controller box need to be replaced.

16. miken79

miken79 Member

Crap, is that something they'll replace for free?

17. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

I just emailed them to ask about the replacement control box. Hopefully they'll take care of us early adopters of the V2 kit.

18. miken79

miken79 Member

Good luck! Wishing there was a remindme bot on this forum now...

19. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Got a response from Federico:

This is great news, may have to email them but looks like they're taking care of it!

20. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Got a notification today that a shipment is on it's way from CoZero, delivery estimate is Monday (4 days for Sweden to Cali is pretty awesome). They didn't ask for the old unit back nor did they charge anything for the replacement. May not get to the install till the 13th but will report back on the functionality when I'm done.