Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a scare this morning with mine. I hit the trunk button before I got out of the car and the trunk failed to open. So I hit the release button on the outside and could see it trying to open the trunk by flexing it but it still failed to open. Really need that resistance sensor to stop that from happening, really not thrilled to be missing it! After that I was able to pull the trunk open and close it myself and the lift started working again. At least it was a good day to do that, I needed a shot of fear to wake me up completely today.

I need to find someone in Denver to do this as after my loaner car which has it, it is hard to going back to my hands but while I’ve always been a do it your self kind of guy on all of my previous cars I tend to stay away from the Tesla and I’m running out of recreational time.

I need to find someone in Denver to do this as after my loaner car which has it, it is hard to going back to my hands but while I’ve always been a do it your self kind of guy on all of my previous cars I tend to stay away from the Tesla and I’m running out of recreational time.
I thought about trying to find someone in the Los Angeles to do mine, as I'm pretty low on free time for DIY projects right now (but I want this upgrade after having a loaner with the power liftgate, it's a shame Tesla won't let us pay them to do a retrofit now that it's standard across the S/X).

Did you ever manage to get the button to light up?

Nope, wondering if it just doesn't have the correct voltage or something? The button that comes with the kit lights up. If the OEM button is operating the trunk I'd image the wiring is correct. Would have to figure out what voltage the OEM button is expecting and test the output of the wire. Might be able to be rigged with a relay or something.

Nope, wondering if it just doesn't have the correct voltage or something? The button that comes with the kit lights up. If the OEM button is operating the trunk I'd image the wiring is correct. Would have to figure out what voltage the OEM button is expecting and test the output of the wire. Might be able to be rigged with a relay or something.
Ok, was thinking if the power could be taken from the trunk light, if it is 12 volt. The light is kind of handy during the dark vintner months here in Denmark.

Good luck! Wishing there was a remindme bot on this forum now...

Got a response from Federico:

You are absolutely correct - the pinch issue is now solved in firmware, but a new control box will be needed.

We will send you one as soon as they arrive to our warehouse in the next 1-2 weeks.

This is great news, may have to email them but looks like they're taking care of it!

Got a notification today that a shipment is on it's way from CoZero, delivery estimate is Monday (4 days for Sweden to Cali is pretty awesome). They didn't ask for the old unit back nor did they charge anything for the replacement. May not get to the install till the 13th but will report back on the functionality when I'm done.