TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BigTonyTones, Jan 30, 2017.

1. moronim

moronim New Member

Was the @BlackHammer install experiencing the same issues with the initiation of the open/close via the Tesla app (w/ > 2018.10.4 ) that you were seeing? I just ordered my COzero kit and was wondering whether we're seeing more reports of that.

2. BlackHammer

BlackHammer Member

First off, I really want to thank @Mokuzai for doing this install for me! I never would have been able to do this. Don’t trust myself haha

Secondly, I’m still experiencing the same issue with opening / closing via the Tesla app! So as of right now, that hasn’t been resolved but I don’t mind. Works fine from the key fob after @Mokuzai got that yellow wire clipped! Looks and functions just like the OEM!

Thanks again man!

• Like x 3
  3. Maranaz

Maranaz Member

Did you manage to cut the wire without removing large tailgate panel ? If so how did you do it ?

4. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Was able to take out the pull handles and reach it from those.

5. chris10

chris10 New Member

I have a first generation CoZero Power liftgate if anyone is interested. I never got around to installing it so I am willing to sell it for a good price if anyone is interested. I would be happy t post picture of the unopened box as well. Just make me an offer.

6. Just AA's

Just AA's Member

I consider myself lucky that I didnt have a motorized truck before. I dont have one now, but I dont miss it.

7. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

That was my situation until I had a loaner that had the powered lift gate. Went shopping with my mom and opened it as we walked back to the car. Her comment of "oh that's nice" was all it took. ;)

8. jayazusa

jayazusa Member

Ok so I got the update (2018.14 4d25341) finally that allows me to open my trunk from the app, although I agree I will never use that function. I just had to try it, and it worked several times.

9. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Do you have the Autoease or Cozero version?

10. jayazusa

jayazusa Member

I have the COzero, and have to say I love the upgrade. With kids there is no more slamming of the trunk!

• Like x 1
  11. HopJokey

HopJokey Member

I'm looking to buy the COzero liftgate, easy install or should I look to get a professional to do it? I'm out here in the San Fran Bay Area.

12. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Depends on how comfortable you are pulling apart panels in your car. It's not too different from installing car audio components if you've ever done that. There's plenty of help and guidance here if you want to attempt it yourself.

13. moronim

moronim New Member

I just ordered the C0Zero kit and plan to install it myself in the next few weeks.

I have the premium audio package in my car and the speaker that resides on the liftgate. Does anyone have any tips or know whether the removal of the liftgate panels is any more difficult with the speaker grill and speaker itself? or do I just follow the same steps that I see within this thread?

14. L-P-G

L-P-G Member

I have the premium audio as well. My advice leave the hand pull down cups in, remove the top and side trim pieces which leaves you with the big piece at the bottom (Don't be surprised if you end up with broken clips because they're brittle as hell, someone posted an amazon link where you can buy a bag for cheap, buy one, you'll need them).

Now look at the top of the big piece by the top 2 edges near the glass you'll see 2 black screws, remove them and slowly start to pry the plastic cover (it's held on by the same self destructing clips). When you have enough space to reach your arm in, remove the connectors off the speakers (one of the right and one of the left) then reach further while standing on the passenger side and remove the "trunk light" (because it doesn't produce any light).

Now you can remove the hand cups which will just about fully release the trim piece.

Most instructions tell you to remove the speaker grill and remove the speakers to unplug the harness, but it's easier to take way food from an alligator that hasn't eaten in a month than to get those clips to release, plus the grill is flimsy plastic.

15. moronim

moronim New Member

Thanks for this advice!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

(I also already ordered the extra clips, I was anticipating they would break as well)

16. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Your results may vary but if you're close to a service center some of us have had luck just asking for extras.

17. tangster

tangster New Member

I have the same set up (COzero V2) as @Mokuzai and have the same issue using the app except mine usually opens maybe 6 inches and sometimes does not even close completely with the app. All other methods of closing/opening work fine.

18. Maranaz

Maranaz Member

I have a COzero power liftgate and my car has just had software update 2018.14.2. The boot opens and closes successfully from my phone every other time. Between each successful open and close there is a sequence where it only opens and closes a few inches !

19. Mokuzai

Mokuzai Member

Just heard back from Federico on my inquiry to the length of the wire harness to the "farther" pole.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. pkodali

pkodali Banned

Any one think a similar setup can be used for the frunk?