Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So just got done installing the COzero kit for @BlackHammer so I got to see the changes to the kit. The version he had still didn't have the wire cut for the fob close (wish I woulda checked that before putting everything together but was able to get at the wire to cut it without taking everything apart again).

So ya there still needs to be a bit extra wire to one of the poles. I'd say about 4 ft. extra. Other than that it looked like everything was able to reach where it needed to go. Going to contact them to make that suggestion.

Also, I hadn't known this but I had always been a bit disappointed at the max open height of the kit. At the suggestion of @BlackHammer we were able to set the height by manually pushing the trunk to the max position and hold down the button until the buzzer beeped (if you left off the buzzer like I did just hold it to a count of 15 or so and you'll be good). No more bumping my head on the trunk!

Was the @BlackHammer install experiencing the same issues with the initiation of the open/close via the Tesla app (w/ > 2018.10.4 ) that you were seeing? I just ordered my COzero kit and was wondering whether we're seeing more reports of that.

Was the @BlackHammer install experiencing the same issues with the initiation of the open/close via the Tesla app (w/ > 2018.10.4 ) that you were seeing? I just ordered my COzero kit and was wondering whether we're seeing more reports of that.

First off, I really want to thank @Mokuzai for doing this install for me! I never would have been able to do this. Don’t trust myself haha

Secondly, I’m still experiencing the same issue with opening / closing via the Tesla app! So as of right now, that hasn’t been resolved but I don’t mind. Works fine from the key fob after @Mokuzai got that yellow wire clipped! Looks and functions just like the OEM!

Thanks again man!

So just got done installing the COzero kit for @BlackHammer so I got to see the changes to the kit. The version he had still didn't have the wire cut for the fob close (wish I woulda checked that before putting everything together but was able to get at the wire to cut it without taking everything apart!
Did you manage to cut the wire without removing large tailgate panel ? If so how did you do it ?

I have a first generation CoZero Power liftgate if anyone is interested. I never got around to installing it so I am willing to sell it for a good price if anyone is interested. I would be happy t post picture of the unopened box as well. Just make me an offer.

I'm looking to buy the COzero liftgate, easy install or should I look to get a professional to do it? I'm out here in the San Fran Bay Area.

Depends on how comfortable you are pulling apart panels in your car. It's not too different from installing car audio components if you've ever done that. There's plenty of help and guidance here if you want to attempt it yourself.

I just ordered the C0Zero kit and plan to install it myself in the next few weeks.

I have the premium audio package in my car and the speaker that resides on the liftgate. Does anyone have any tips or know whether the removal of the liftgate panels is any more difficult with the speaker grill and speaker itself? or do I just follow the same steps that I see within this thread?

I just ordered the C0Zero kit and plan to install it myself in the next few weeks.

I have the premium audio package in my car and the speaker that resides on the liftgate. Does anyone have any tips or know whether the removal of the liftgate panels is any more difficult with the speaker grill and speaker itself? or do I just follow the same steps that I see within this thread?

I have the premium audio as well. My advice leave the hand pull down cups in, remove the top and side trim pieces which leaves you with the big piece at the bottom (Don't be surprised if you end up with broken clips because they're brittle as hell, someone posted an amazon link where you can buy a bag for cheap, buy one, you'll need them).

Now look at the top of the big piece by the top 2 edges near the glass you'll see 2 black screws, remove them and slowly start to pry the plastic cover (it's held on by the same self destructing clips). When you have enough space to reach your arm in, remove the connectors off the speakers (one of the right and one of the left) then reach further while standing on the passenger side and remove the "trunk light" (because it doesn't produce any light).

Now you can remove the hand cups which will just about fully release the trim piece.

Most instructions tell you to remove the speaker grill and remove the speakers to unplug the harness, but it's easier to take way food from an alligator that hasn't eaten in a month than to get those clips to release, plus the grill is flimsy plastic.

I have the premium audio as well. My advice leave the hand pull down cups in, remove the top and side trim pieces which leaves you with the big piece at the bottom (Don't be surprised if you end up with broken clips because they're brittle as hell, someone posted an amazon link where you can buy a bag for cheap, buy one, you'll need them).

Now look at the top of the big piece by the top 2 edges near the glass you'll see 2 black screws, remove them and slowly start to pry the plastic cover (it's held on by the same self destructing clips). When you have enough space to reach your arm in, remove the connectors off the speakers (one of the right and one of the left) then reach further while standing on the passenger side and remove the "trunk light" (because it doesn't produce any light).

Now you can remove the hand cups which will just about fully release the trim piece.

Most instructions tell you to remove the speaker grill and remove the speakers to unplug the harness, but it's easier to take way food from an alligator that hasn't eaten in a month than to get those clips to release, plus the grill is flimsy plastic.

Thanks for this advice!!! This is exactly what I was looking for.

(I also already ordered the extra clips, I was anticipating they would break as well)

I have a COzero power liftgate and my car has just had software update 2018.14.2. The boot opens and closes successfully from my phone every other time. Between each successful open and close there is a sequence where it only opens and closes a few inches !