TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BigTonyTones, Jan 30, 2017.

1. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

Assuming this is it
    Power Liftgate Retrofit

2. druken

druken Member

For the gen1 soft closing upgrade I emailed autoease directly: [email protected]. I don't know if these upgrades kits are available on their website.

3. HopJokey

HopJokey Member

Hey drunken I also bought the upgrade kit from AutoEase. Any chance you can help me with the installation? I'm located in the Bay Area (South Bay).

4. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

He might hath not, as thou hath butchered his'n name by adding one "n". The extra "n" hath made him too much with the blood of the vine.

5. HopJokey

HopJokey Member

Ahhh my apologies druken!

• Informative x 1
  6. HopJokey

HopJokey Member

7. danieltyates

danieltyates Member

Great video. thanks.
    Did you go with co-zero or Autoease...and why did you choose one over the other ?
    Thanks again.

• Like x 1
  8. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

I think the co-zero is rebranded autoease

9. Hotrodder

Hotrodder Member

Has anybody developed a lift, motorized or not, and lower/lock for the FRUNK? I have only used it twice in 1 1/2 yrs due to inconvenience of loading or unloading. Any DIY engineers willing to tackle this problem?

10. Wratran

Wratran Member

I think so too...the cozero is a little less expensive

11. danieltyates

danieltyates Member

12. Wratran

Wratran Member

I email cozero regarding their kit...asking the question regarding the difference between theirs and Autoease...NO REPLY.
    So ..it's probably the same unit

13. danieltyates

danieltyates Member

Cool. Thanks!!

14. Wratran

Wratran Member

I got an email from Autoease..the original manufacturer...they confirm COZERO is just a REBRAND of Autoease product.

I think COZERO is pretty shading trying to hide this fact...I emailed them several time and they ignored the questions

15. pfremm

pfremm Member

So right now if I want a kit should I just go with cozero? It also comes with the more gradual close?

16. Wratran

Wratran Member

they are both the exact same kit...see treads above

17. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

18. ramting

ramting Member

The video is great for the trunk. Is this essentially identical to doing it with the model s? Bought the auto ease one but haven’t had time to do it.

19. dragonvn

dragonvn Member

I bought the cozero kit. I am about to do it. My question is the original Tesla only has 1 powered strut and the cozero one has both. What if I don't want to run wire to the other side and just leave it unpowered, would that work?

20. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

I think that's risky. If cozero designed/provided their system to use both, you put the installed side at risk of overworking and burning out. For the cost of an extra hour or so of time, I would not take that chance of risking my system. The effort of working a needed replacement part warranty, then return (who pays that cost) and getting the new part, installing it, will be more time consuming that just installing the other strut. In my opinion, since you asked.

And this assumes that cozero doesn't read the TMC forum looking to help and spot your question of considering not installing the system per their guidance. Could they void your warranty for failing to install per their procedures? Your call of course, but you did ask.