Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got mine installed. Had an issue or two, but got it done. My controller didn't come with a screw so I had to find one to fit. My controller also didn't have sticky tape on the back like mentioned in the video. My set didn't come with the obd connector or any installation instructions, but I didn't need it. Thanks again for putting this together. I might have missed it, but I didn't see how to Install new door switch, but I figured something out by drilling a 1/2" hole for it.

I got mine installed. Had an issue or two, but got it done. My controller didn't come with a screw so I had to find one to fit. My controller also didn't have sticky tape on the back like mentioned in the video. My set didn't come with the obd connector or any installation instructions, but I didn't need it. Thanks again for putting this together. I might have missed it, but I didn't see how to Install new door switch, but I figured something out by drilling a 1/2" hole for it.

I told the seller about the obd connector and how its not needed. Im assuming that is why it didnt come with one.

I had forgotten to mention the door switch. My kit came with a drill bit to make the hole. Make sure you put it on the bottom of the handle you pop out. I put mine on the top and there is no clearance to pop it back in. I had to make another hole on the bottom in order to get it to fit.

Here are the correct locations for the button

Attachments

• 20170212_115214.jpg
    20170212_115214.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 470
  • 20170212_115159.jpg
    20170212_115159.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 397
Quick couple of questions: What happens when you try to open trunk manually? Does power lift gate kicks in, or do you have to open it by hands all the way up? Does the open/close sound comes from the car or from the controller? Can it be turned off?
Also, anyone knows what Tesla thinks about those DIY upgrades? Can they say that since you tapped into electrical system, any electrical issue is not going to be covered by the warranty?

Quick couple of questions: What happens when you try to open trunk manually? Does power lift gate kicks in, or do you have to open it by hands all the way up? Does the open/close sound comes from the car or from the controller? Can it be turned off?
Also, anyone knows what Tesla thinks about those DIY upgrades? Can they say that since you tapped into electrical system, any electrical issue is not going to be covered by the warranty?
1. The lift gate kicks in automatically.
2. The sound comes from the control box. It cant be turned off

Looks like manufacturer stopped selling the item directly. Went to their website to order one, and it it doesn't look like they have direct sales there anymore. Only message about searching for distributors.

The manufacturer is selling them again on their website ($399 + $69 shipping to California). I ordered one on Friday and it arrived today (Tuesday). I'm impressed by the fast shipping.

The kit has a QR code which brings you to this website for instructions (but in Chinese, and it tabs power from the frunk):
http://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/Swr2FxBg5uzuybyPKXf7Fw

I'll probably follow BigTonyTones's instructions, once I get my car back from service.

Hi all!
Anyone who has ordered from us and would prefer to get the Asian version immediately to waiting for the English version should contact us through the local website they ordered from and we will make all arrangements.

English version is in it's final stages - it will include professionally illustrated and simplified installation instructions, including some additional accessories to enable this.

All the best!
/COzero Team

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Hi all!
Anyone who has ordered from us and would prefer to get the Asian version immediately to waiting for the English version should contact us through the local website they ordered from and we will make all arrangements.

English version is in it's final stages - it will include professionally illustrated and simplified installation instructions, including some additional accessories to enable this.

All the best!
/COzero Team

let me know when the english version is ready to ship and I'll place the order.

i checked the label on the module, looks like blue is left and gray is right (in case someone receives two labeled left)... install was definitely straight-forward. I didn't drill the hole for the switch yet because there actually seems to be more space for the switch on the top part of the handle (vs the bottom of the handle per the instructions here). Is there an issue with mounting the switch to the top part of the handle?

Reactions: 1tsla