TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BigTonyTones, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Powerflux

Powerflux Member

I really don`t think it matters but on mine where they are labeled L/R, the right hand side have gray plugs and blue on the left side!!

2. druken

druken Member

I installed the button on the top part of the handle cup too, but once I tighten the nut on the other side of the handle cup, the bolt (on the other side of the button) extends too far and the handle cup cannot be inserted back into the lift gate. So I had to loosen the nut and only rely on the 3M tape to stick the button on to the handle cup.

I wish we can get the oem power liftgate handle cup and wire it up properly.

3. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

It's going to be a problem to insert it back. You usually insert bottom part first (with the button installed) and then lock it on the top, you can do it in the opposite way you can break the locks on the bottom.

4. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Gotcha I see the problem. Thanks for the answers I went ahead and installed it to the bottom. For what it's worth, the OEM button uses 3 wires as well so it should be relatively simple to retrofit. When I have a moment, I'll research Mouser for the proper male harness so it can be plug/play IMG_0642.JPG

• Like x 1
  5. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

went to the service center and picked up the switch yesterday. Ill try to test it today and identify the connections.

In the meantime, here are the part numbers for those who might be interested!

1009264-00-E - plastic handle $19
    1010327-00-A - Switch $47.44

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

Di
    Let us know if it works :)

7. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Messed around a little with the factory switch today and I got it working! Here is the pin-out order.

If you're looking at the switch from the backside (label up) the pins are from left to right:

1) illumination (red)
    2) common ground (white)
    3) signal (continuity) to trunk (black)

In the meantime, I used small female pins from a donor PC case ( the small pins from the power switch, motherboard speaker, etc. once I find the actual male harness from mouser, I'll update it here.

IMG_0675.JPG

• Informative x 2
  8. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

IMG_0676.JPG

On the Che1 autolift kit, the harness is color coded as follows:

1) blank
    2) white (common ground)
    3) red (illumination)
    4) black (signal continuity to trunk)

So basically cut the harness, and crimp terminal pins to the wires and connect them to the factory switch in the order I posted above for the factory pin-out.

So far everything is working as it should!

• Informative x 1
  9. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

So you just walked in the service center and ask to buy a liftgate button?

10. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

yup pretty much over the counter cash and carry

11. Troyrod

Troyrod Member

Did you have to go to the service center to enable it on the touchscreen?

12. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

IMG_0677.JPG

This is the connector I used and it fits snuggly into the factory switch. You can find these in any old donor computer case or at Frys/Microcenter.

13. BigTonyTones

BigTonyTones Member

do you mind posting a picture of the final install? I greatly appreciate it

14. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

The connector looks exactly the same you hook up to the lock m I wonder if che1 can sell them retail :)
    Do you happen to have the part number?

15. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

Here you go. Wasn't really sure what to take a photo of, but here is the "finished" harness from the Che1 kit and spliced to the custom 3-pin harness. Also a picture of the harness plugged into the factory switch, and lastly the final result:

IMG_0693.JPG IMG_0694.JPG IMG_0695.JPG

• Like x 2
  16. Cricket88

Cricket88 Member

I do not. I tried to do some light research on Mouser for the correct pigtail but gave up because the computer case connector worked and Mouser turned up too many potential hits...

17. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

I exchanged couple email with Tao, from Chi. They might consider building a connector of OEM Tesla button

18. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

How was this enable on the touchscreen? Was it automatically added once everything was connected?

19. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

Yes

20. Buddy

Buddy Member

i just read this thread and i am confused.

Will someone dumb down the process into a step 1 step 2 format for me? If i can add a power liftgate for $50 i am going to grin ear to ear.