Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i checked the label on the module, looks like blue is left and gray is right (in case someone receives two labeled left)... install was definitely straight-forward. I didn't drill the hole for the switch yet because there actually seems to be more space for the switch on the top part of the handle (vs the bottom of the handle per the instructions here). Is there an issue with mounting the switch to the top part of the handle?

I installed the button on the top part of the handle cup too, but once I tighten the nut on the other side of the handle cup, the bolt (on the other side of the button) extends too far and the handle cup cannot be inserted back into the lift gate. So I had to loosen the nut and only rely on the 3M tape to stick the button on to the handle cup.

I wish we can get the oem power liftgate handle cup and wire it up properly.

i checked the label on the module, looks like blue is left and gray is right (in case someone receives two labeled left)... install was definitely straight-forward. I didn't drill the hole for the switch yet because there actually seems to be more space for the switch on the top part of the handle (vs the bottom of the handle per the instructions here). Is there an issue with mounting the switch to the top part of the handle?
It's going to be a problem to insert it back. You usually insert bottom part first (with the button installed) and then lock it on the top, you can do it in the opposite way you can break the locks on the bottom.

Gotcha I see the problem. Thanks for the answers I went ahead and installed it to the bottom. For what it's worth, the OEM button uses 3 wires as well so it should be relatively simple to retrofit. When I have a moment, I'll research Mouser for the proper male harness so it can be plug/play
IMG_0642.JPG

Reactions: davidc18
Di

Let us know if it works :)

Messed around a little with the factory switch today and I got it working! Here is the pin-out order.

If you're looking at the switch from the backside (label up) the pins are from left to right:

1) illumination (red)
2) common ground (white)
3) signal (continuity) to trunk (black)

In the meantime, I used small female pins from a donor PC case ( the small pins from the power switch, motherboard speaker, etc. once I find the actual male harness from mouser, I'll update it here.

IMG_0675.JPG

IMG_0676.JPG

On the Che1 autolift kit, the harness is color coded as follows:

1) blank
2) white (common ground)
3) red (illumination)
4) black (signal continuity to trunk)

So basically cut the harness, and crimp terminal pins to the wires and connect them to the factory switch in the order I posted above for the factory pin-out.

So far everything is working as it should!

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
View attachment 219785

On the Che1 autolift kit, the harness is color coded as follows:

1) blank
2) white (common ground)
3) red (illumination)
4) black (signal continuity to trunk)

So basically cut the harness, and crimp terminal pins to the wires and connect them to the factory switch in the order I posted above for the factory pin-out.

So far everything is working as it should!
So you just walked in the service center and ask to buy a liftgate button?

Messed around a little with the factory switch today and I got it working! Here is the pin-out order.

If you're looking at the switch from the backside (label up) the pins are from left to right:

1) illumination (red)
2) common ground (white)
3) signal (continuity) to trunk (black)

In the meantime, I used small female pins from a donor PC case ( the small pins from the power switch, motherboard speaker, etc. once I find the actual male harness from mouser, I'll update it here.

View attachment 219783
do you mind posting a picture of the final install? I greatly appreciate it