Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i just read this thread and i am confused.

Will someone dumb down the process into a step 1 step 2 format for me? If i can add a power liftgate for $50 i am going to grin ear to ear.

Step 1: Buy the aftermarket power liftgate kit from Che1 (autlease).
Step 2: (optional) buy the factory switch for the trunk if you want to "retain" the OEM look at the tailgate. Otherwise, you can install the switch that comes with the aftermarket kit.

Reactions: druken
Thanks Cricket88 for the good work.

I have purchased the factory switch today and I'll install it tonight. The Dublin service center had to order it but it only took them 1 day:

PULL, CUP, RH, LIFTGATE - POWER (1009264-00-E) $19.00
SWITCH, LIFTGATE, SHUTFACE (1010327-00-A) $47.44
Total Parts 66.44

With tax it comes out to be $72.59. It's kind of expensive but the oem button looks much better to me.

Reactions: Cricket88
How was this enable on the touchscreen? Was it automatically added once everything was connected?
It works this way: touch screen (same for key fob and the trunk release button) signal goes to the trunk latch through a wire connection already. This after market kit comes with a controller box that connects to the latch connector and intercepts the signal so that's how it knows when to open / close the lift gate.

I installed the OEM pull cup and button last night and it's great.

I had a hard time finding a good 3 pin female connector though. The PC front panel connectors that I found (e.g. speaker, HDD light) all use 2 pins only. I eventually found a 3 pin cable from an old GPU fan and I trimmed it with a knife so it can fit into the OEM switch. I then soldered the wires together according to the layout that Cricket88 showed earlier. The button works flawlessly.

Now the only thing that doesn't feel "OEM" is how hard it slams the trunk down (especially with car windows open). Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust that force?

Reactions: Cricket88
I installed the OEM pull cup and button last night and it's great.

I had a hard time finding a good 3 pin female connector though. The PC front panel connectors that I found (e.g. speaker, HDD light) all use 2 pins only. I eventually found a 3 pin cable from an old GPU fan and I trimmed it with a knife so it can fit into the OEM switch. I then soldered the wires together according to the layout that Cricket88 showed earlier. The button works flawlessly.

Now the only thing that doesn't feel "OEM" is how hard it slams the trunk down (especially with car windows open). Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust that force?

glad you got it working... Its actually really simple to "re-pin" those computer connectors... I actually took a 4-pin connector and shaved off one side to turn it into a 3-pin connector!

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and druken
Just wondered if anybody here could recommend somebody to install this for me here in the UK.
Its a pretty simple DIY project especially with all the tips in this forums from people who have done it. We are all happy to help

Ill try to make a video for installing the oem button. I ordered it a week ago and it still hasnt come in from Tesla. Their parts ordering system is very frustrating

Reactions: MIT_S60
Just completed my install - will post a video later -- works great, but right now I'm resting with some Advil and a heating pad for my poor back. lol

Instructions in this thread and the Power liftgate is this possible? thread are accurate, thanks so much for sharing BigTonyJonese, AMPUP, and RMurphy and others. I basically ordered everything BigTonyJones mentioned above plus the OEM pull-cup and button for the liftgate which works fine in place of the kit's button.

YMMV but my install wasn't difficult but it was WAY MORE time-consuming than has been indicated. Sure, the 2-hour estimate for doing my SECOND install might be possible, but my first-go ran a good 3.5 hours or so -- granted I was going into this with an already sore back from a recent hiking trip and so I moved a lot slower. While I am a DIY'er on a lot of things if you don't do this kind of thing often expect it to take more time. I am a network architect by trade, so a lot of my work-product involves very little manual labor. ;)

The most labor-intensive part for me was removing/reinstalling the trim in the trunk/parcel area on the right. And they aren't kidding: you NEED the green replacement clips!! I don't care if you even work in a SC you WILL break those clips/tabs removing the trim pieces! I probably replaced more than half the clips. The large plastic piece on the lift gate was the hardest to put back on, best to have a second person help hold it in place. The POSI-TAP is awesome, too, thanks for mentioning it.

When wiring the OEM button, be prepared to interrupt the lift gate a few times -- if the red wire comes in contact with the yellow, or if you get the order wrong the gate will have some false starts (so watch your head!). But it was worth it to have the stock look, IMHO. Then again, after all the work if I had it to do over again I _almost_ would have just put a hole in the lift gate cup and used the kit's button and called it a day. Instead I ended up using a carving knife, to form the kit button's plastic insert tab for the wires to connect them into the Tesla OEM lift gate button's receptacle. Took some time, and some expletives, but well worth it in the end. But if you go the other route you're just fine and you probably save yourself 30 minutes of extra fiddling.

Yes it is a little louder opening/closing than stock system, but it's no louder than my wife's CRV lift gate. While does basically drop the lift gate at the very end, it's not that bad and is pretty much necessary with a latch that has to catch (unlike the OEM which I think grabs the liftgate and pulls it to).

All in all, it was worth it to finally get this feature. It's something I had really missed since I got my car.

Thanks everyone! I'm in SoCal and while I feel like I'm technically minded, the last thing I want to do is destroy my Tesla in the process of doing this myself. Anyone here willing to help me out (I'll help you in return!) or know of an installer who would handle this?

Thanks!

I finally received the kit from COZero. It has different packaging then original kit (re-branded for COZero), it also now includes clip remover tool, 5 extra clips, blue POSI-TAP wire connector and an illustrated manual which is very much readable and has good explanations of the steps involved. Manual is 22 pages long and has about 6 images per page with short descriptions. Overall, looks pretty good and I think worth extra $25 you pay vs. ordering directly from China.

20170422_195236.jpg
20170422_195207.jpg
20170422_195046.jpg
Thank you Cricket88 for the great idea!
I got mine installed today. Took a few minutes to solder and shrink wrap the wire. Very happy with the button

Reactions: MIT_S60
the trumk power liftgate was probably the one thing we regret not ordering although it was a tough decision b/c the tech package was $3500. it's good to see we will still have the option of adding this and at a somewhat reasonable price.