TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by BigTonyTones, Jan 30, 2017.

1. suraj1194

suraj1194 Member

Hello, I checked out the supplier site: Power operated tailgate lift assisting system TL105 – Autoease

The drop down list of cars doesn't list Tesla at all. Am I missing something here ? Further down below, I see Tony's testimonial, where the model part TL105-3085 is listed, but the drop-down menu doesn't have that number.

2. hungyip84

hungyip84 Member

I am one of the reseller. Shipped from Hong Kong. My site is not up yet, but you can pm me to place order. Price is $399, and shipping is $60 for 5-6 days shipping.

3. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

I'm interested in the Aftermarket power liftgate kit. But Autoease doesn't have them anymore, and the Co Zero kit cost $768 USD. Is that right? Seems a little pricey to me.

4. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

5. 1tsla

1tsla Member

I also ordered mine from COZero. Very happy with my purchase. I wanted to wait for them to have the English instructions and I'm glad I waited. It was nicely packaged and everything came as described. Shipping was surprisingly very fast. I received the item (after shipping) in 2 days from Sweden to CA, US.

Instructions were easy to follow overall. I did still search for youtube videos to assist me in removing the panels before actually doing it. By reading the instructions, it looks like they went through it themselves step by step to make sure they were easy to understand. It included pictures/sketches to make it easy to see where to wire, what panels to remove, etc... The slight increase in cost compared to those shipped from China is well worth it for just the instructions.

I did have a small issue after installation when the trunk wouldn't close all the way. After contacting the seller and posting on here, both recommended I adjust something on the trunk and it fixed the issue. For about $500, it is well worth the cost to add a power lift gate to your Tesla. Like others have mentioned, it works from the touchscreen, the remote, and the installed button on the trunk handle. I'm happy but my wife is happier since her car has power lift gate and she was disappointed my Tesla didn't have one.

On a side note, communication with COZero was very easy and they responded quickly to my questions.

File_001.jpeg File_000.jpeg

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

Thank you for the information. The price is reasonable for such a handy product. I hope that the install goes smoothly for me. I'm also planning to use the OEM trunk handle and button.
    So if I run into the issue with the trunk not closing all the way, how can that be resolved? Also, I heard that the trunk won't open if you add a spoiler. Is that true?

7. 1tsla

1tsla Member

The manual actually has the information on adjusting knobs on the trunk to help with it closing. I did do it prior to contacting them and here but I guess I didn't adjust enough to make a difference. Once I adjusted more, it fixed the problem. As far as the spoiler goes, I'm not too sure since I don't have one installed yet, it's sitting in my garage though ready for install.

• Like x 1
  8. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

Cool, please let me know if the spoiler affects the liftgate at at. Thanks for the advice. .

• Like x 1
  9. lunitiks

lunitiks Cool James & Black Teacher

Has anyone successfully killed or severely dampened that loud "BEEP" when opening/closing?

What happens when you click on the key-FOB "trunk", does it activate the PL?

10. Troyrod

Troyrod Member

How is this enabled on the touchscreen?

11. druken

druken Member

The touch screen and keyfob both send signal to the lift gate latch to unlock it.The power liftgate controller has a cable that connects to the latch to intercept this signal and activates the power structs. Works for both opening and closing.

12. lunitiks

So the "remote" that is included, is really not necessary at all? In other words: Can you operate it in the exact same way as you would with the OEM power liftgate?

13. druken

druken Member

You can get the oem pull cup and button instead of using the one from the kit. Operation wise everything is the same as oem except this one slams the trunk to close. Oem is more gracious because it uses a different locking mechanism.

14. lunitiks

That's ok, I dont mind the slam since I'm slamming it manually anyway. But that beeping sound: Is there any way to kill it or reduce the volume?

15. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

That's what I'm planning to do, buy the OEM pull cup and button so it look stock. I hate how hard you have to slam the trunk shut in order to close it, bad design IMO.

16. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

I had the power liftgate on my old Model S 85, I do miss it sometimes, but I don't miss that annoying beeping sound. Maybe we can put tape over the speakers to reduce the volume.

17. sidmini

sidmini Banned

Guys looking at fitting the OEM tesla button in the tailgate. Can you please verify if this male 3 pin connector will fit in the tesla button? Also what is the best way to fit the pins, crimp or solder? do you split the pins or keep them all connected?

PK OF 5 - MALE 3 PIN FAN POWER CONNECTOR - BLACK INC PINS | eBay

18. 1tsla

1tsla Member

Does anyone have tips on how to put back the large plastic rear panel back in the trunk? I've been trying for two days. There must be some sort of magic involved.

19. Sm4llz

Sm4llz Member

When I did my rear applique it took 2 people and 2 hours. Not sure if there is a trick....just patience

• Like x 1
  20. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

I remove the rear liftgate speaker cover from the panel. Then plug in the light harness, then make sure all the panel clips are in place and start from the rear and push up and towards the front of the car (This will ensure that the two plastic guides on each side go into the slots, then push the panel clips in. With the speaker grill removed you can use you fingers to ensure panel clips on the inside (near the speaker grills) are nice and tight. Then screw in the screws on the panel ends and you should be good to reattach the liftgate smaller panels around it. Make sense? maybe not ,but when you have done it like 20 times there is a right way and a wrong way to get everything in place.

• Like x 1