Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not know the source of this kit. It seems significantly different.

Also noticed that there isn't any resistance sensor. I tried stopping the trunk from closing and applied what felt like quite a bit of force and it kept coming. You can stop it mid operation by pushing the button, but you really need to be careful...especially if you decide to leave out the buzzer.

Is this second generation CoZero kit still manufactured by AutoEase (like the original) and they are reselling it?

Power operated tailgate lift assisting system TL105 – Autoease

They don't mention this new kit on their site and they were always way cheaper in cost and their shipping is ridiculously fast (2-3 days)
I am pretty sure they are. I talked to them couple weeks ago and they said they are working on soft closing version.

6D01A4F4-B05E-4880-895C-4875301B0667.jpeg
2F9D627B-0A68-4BCE-B354-972EFE668DBE.jpeg 6D01A4F4-B05E-4880-895C-4875301B0667.jpeg 6D01A4F4-B05E-4880-895C-4875301B0667.jpeg I have finally installed my Cozero power liftgate Kit version 2, but my installation is somewhat different to Mokuza.
Seeing that the power and earth cables are so long and the power is on right of car, I decided to put the control box on left of car and run the power cables from right to left through the headliner.
This had the advantage that the longer of the two cables to the power struts was long enough to reach the control box. The wires from the control box to the strut on the right of the car needed a considerable extention which again I ran through the headliner,
The wires to the latch lock and the release button, both situated in the tailgate (liftgate) again needed extention wires from control box and these wires were taken from control box in the boot (trunk) through the grommits on left hand side of car. I found this the most difficult part of the installation trying to fish wies from bottom to top of tailgate through a very small difficult to reach hole,
The latch opening motor I left in the Well in the Boot on the left hand side.

Attachments

• 5B92A12B-1A0F-44B3-AEA9-91D2D40FC908.jpeg
    5B92A12B-1A0F-44B3-AEA9-91D2D40FC908.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 130
  • C2CAE878-CAC9-4284-8DE7-24DC9FC86C4E.jpeg
    C2CAE878-CAC9-4284-8DE7-24DC9FC86C4E.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 6FC00998-2F8C-476E-B285-C7FEE1639B34.jpeg
    6FC00998-2F8C-476E-B285-C7FEE1639B34.jpeg
    390 KB · Views: 122
  • EA666227-7879-453B-84C8-98AA388E2B60.jpeg
    EA666227-7879-453B-84C8-98AA388E2B60.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 96ADAACB-46FF-4114-A809-ECAAF4CD21A1.jpeg
    96ADAACB-46FF-4114-A809-ECAAF4CD21A1.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 118
  • 469467A7-E56A-4FB6-8C9E-4555360A407E.jpeg
    469467A7-E56A-4FB6-8C9E-4555360A407E.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
the longer of the two cables to the power struts was long enough to reach the control box

The longer wire for the strut reaches the right side too with my location. I just didn't want to remove the carpeting from both side walls of the car and was able to do everything on the right. The only extension was for the power/ground to one of the struts and the extension to the latch lock like you have. Either way works and glad you got it finished.

I sent my suggestions to COZero for modifying the wiring so hopefully future kits will be more installer friendly. Also mentioned the lack of a resistance sensor and they said they're going to see if that is firmware upgradeable but haven't heard back on that yet.

Hi Mokuzai,
The wiring harness for the installation is bizarre, I can only imagine it is not designed for the model S but another car altogether ! I agree a resistance sensor would be very useful. At the moment you certainly have to keep clear, so I have kept the beeper. I don’t know about a firmware update. Does that mean a new control box ? The surprise is the version 1 kit did have some resistance sensor, I believe ?
Perhaps the mysterious white wire will come into play.

Have just received draft instructions from COzero for installation of version 2 of the power liftgate kit. It seems to lean heavily on Mokuzaik’s installation.
I have 2 issues with the kit.
1 The instuctions state you can close tailgate with keyfob. I can only close my liftgate using button in liftgate handle or from touchscreen in car
2 Federico assures me the kit should include a resistance sensor when closing. Mine certainly does not.

I've never been able to close with the keyfob but that doesn't bother me much. Definitely doesn't have a resistance sensor...if they were able to update the kit via a firmware update it would likely only apply to new units they ship out. Does the instructions say anything about the white wire?

Hi Mokuzai,
No mention of the white wire. The photos seem to have been taken from your installation. If Federico insists that the key fob should work and that there should be resistance sensor, perhaps we should ask for a new control box.
Can’t post the instructions here as it is a pdf document and when I try to load to the forum it gives security error.

Hi Mokuzai,
No mention of the white wire. The photos seem to have been taken from your installation. If Federico insists that the key fob should work and that there should be resistance sensor, perhaps we should ask for a new control box.
Can’t post the instructions here as it is a pdf document and when I try to load to the forum it gives security error.

Good luck getting a replacement control box. They sent the wrong one as a replacement for one I admitted I messed up and now Federico won't even respond. So frustrating as my trunk has now been in pieces and difficult to open for 2 weeks now. If anyone has a better contact for him please let me know. I had even offered to pay for the replacement control box.

Yes Federico only responds intermittently, perhaps he is getting too many complaints. I just resend the same message again, he usually responds on the third or fourth attempt. I find it is best to get him on the formal contact address on the Cozero webpage. The one where you get the automated response that they received your message and will get back.

I am a reseller and recently receive v2. The intention of the placement of the controller box is still inside the tailgate but they are planning to modify the wiring in order to move the location of the controller box to the trunk. Comparing to v1, the pole is not as neat. The manufacturer recommended to have the wire end placed on top, but that would make the wiring ugly. I am exchanging feedback to the manufacturer. Hopefully things will get better.

View attachment 250734 View attachment 250733 View attachment 250734 View attachment 250734 I have finally installed my Cozero power liftgate Kit version 2, but my installation is somewhat different to Mokuza.
Seeing that the power and earth cables are so long and the power is on right of car, I decided to put the control box on left of car and run the power cables from right to left through the headliner.
This had the advantage that the longer of the two cables to the power struts was long enough to reach the control box. The wires from the control box to the strut on the right of the car needed a considerable extention which again I ran through the headliner,
The wires to the latch lock and the release button, both situated in the tailgate (liftgate) again needed extention wires from control box and these wires were taken from control box in the boot (trunk) through the grommits on left hand side of car. I found this the most difficult part of the installation trying to fish wies from bottom to top of tailgate through a very small difficult to reach hole,
The latch opening motor I left in the Well in the Boot on the left hand side.

Would you mind to share how you hide the pole wiring? They are so short and I wonder how I should hide them nicely.

Would you mind to share how you hide the pole wiring? They are so short and I wonder how I should hide them nicely.

The poles are arranged so the wires are closest to the grommets. Some say to cut a hole in the grommet but I didn't want to do this so I ran the wires under the grommet and silicone sealed the edges so the trunk can be returned to stock if necessary.

With this arrangement the plug ends will reach to just inside the car then you'll need extension wires to reach at least one of the poles if the harness hasn't been updated yet.

Please see my post which I believe is the basis for how they will be modifying the harness and creating instructions for the V2 kit. In the video at the end you can sort of see the black wire on the left pole running to the grommet.

DIY Power Lift gate for Tesla Model S Walkthrough Video

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60
According to Federico, COzero can now supply a new wiring harness more suitable to a model S.
I asked him if the kit should allow the liftgate to close using the keyfob ( as stated in his new draft fitting instructions ).
Also, if the liftgate should stop closing when it meets resistance. He said he was having problems getting a clear answer from the manufacturer, but would get back when he does get an answer.
My installation does neither of the above, both were features of version 1 kit.

Last edited: