Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY PPF and Tint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to maybe save a few thousand $ - lots of video's on doing both, anyone tried DIY? Pre-cut PPF is pretty cheap and window tint is very cheap on Ebay. Mess it up and try again or take it somewhere if you can't get it to work. PPF on the front bumper seems the most challenging. Never done it but willing, interested to hear if anyone else had good results.

M3LR white/white
OD 9-8
EDD 9-18 to 9-30 (end of quarter rush)

If you are handy and have the patience, some flat surfaces such as doors and hood can be done DIY. I would NOT recommend doing the bumpers or fenders even with precut PPF. I did my doors by myself with ok result. Best is to practice with a small strip of PPF you can buy from Amazon for $20. Go at it on the door rocker panel and see how it fits. They can be easily removed. Key is to squeegee the entire surface of the PPF even if you do not see bubbles. This will ensure you have a bubble free job.

Trying to maybe save a few thousand $ - lots of video's on doing both, anyone tried DIY? Pre-cut PPF is pretty cheap and window tint is very cheap on Ebay. Mess it up and try again or take it somewhere if you can't get it to work. PPF on the front bumper seems the most challenging. Never done it but willing, interested to hear if anyone else had good results.

M3LR white/white
OD 9-8
EDD 9-18 to 9-30 (end of quarter rush)
I'm in the process of doing my front end. I finished the hood, fog and head lights, lower bumper area, and mirrors....just got the main bumper left now!

Adding a few pics, also forgot to mention I did the trunk lip.
20210905_123518_HDR.jpg
20210905_125217_HDR.jpg
20210905_125652_HDR.jpg
20210905_140805_HDR.jpg

Reactions: KenC
@Ken_Y It had a cut out, and thanks. You should see the bumper though... I worked on it today and must say it was difficult. I got it installed and was able to get everything lined up properly, no dirt or anything which I was happy with but I ended up with some stretch marks that I'm not sure I can live with. 🤦‍♂️

Reactions: Ken_Y and KenC
@Ken_Y It had a cut out, and thanks. You should see the bumper though... I worked on it today and must say it was difficult. I got it installed and was able to get everything lined up properly, no dirt or anything which I was happy with but I ended up with some stretch marks that I'm not sure I can live with. 🤦‍♂️
What do you use to clean and prep the car? Some said use tac solution mix and some use IronX.

good for you. i tried the bumper and failed miserably.